• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

McMillen Auger x2475

cgraham1

I have a chance to buy a complete setup w/ 2 extensions (for a total digging depth of 12'). What is a fair price? Is this a good quality auger? This is the same guy I bought the backhoe from, so it is actually set up for my tractor already. Thanks!

surfer-joe

McMillen is a good brand and fairly tough with proper use. A couple of hints for you though. If you are considering a used auger drive, pull the drain plug first and see what metal comes out, if any. Actually, make sure oil comes out first. If a lot of metal comes out, bigger chunks, don't buy it. A lot of people never and I mean never check the oil levels in these things. Then they whine and complain when the gears break and the seals blow out. Expensive to repair if it's even possible.

If you use an auger device every day for extended hours of operation, check the oil level every day and put a wrench on all the retainer bolts a couple of days a week. Make sure the motor retaining bolts stay tight, I recommend Loc-Tite on them. Put a wrench on the hydraulic fittings a couple a times a week too. Make sure the adapter that attaches the auger drive to your backhoe is not cracked, worn out, or loose. Protect the auger drive hoses well and make sure they are properly secured with no missing or damaged clamps.

If you have winter downtime, pull the auger drive down and check all the bearings and seals. The planetary sets are not real big and they take a good beating. If any gear teeth are missing, replace the entire set.

If you lose auger teeth, don't keep drilling. Get out and install new teeth. Continued use without a tooth ruins an adapter very rapidly and shortens the length of the auger moldboard quickly from excessive wear. Use carbide teeth, they last a lot longer and are not that much more expensive.

Use some hardface rod and put your name on all your attachments including the auger drive and the augers. Number them too. No fun arguing with another contractor about who owns what. Helps prevent theft too.

Check the auger extensions closely and make sure they are not bent or cracked. If they are, don't buy them. I never had any luck straightening bent auger extensions. I'd buy new hex steel bars and use the old ends to make a rebuilt and straight auger. Had about six augers running at any given time in the nineties around Bakersfield and bent auger extensions were an everyday event.

Just a few minutes everyday spent doing some preventive maintenance on your auger attachments will make you and them both happy.

cgraham1

I picked up the auger today. The guy told me I could take it and try it out, and if I don't want it he'll take it back. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm still wondering if this is a good deal, I have no idea what a used auger is worth.:beatsme

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Drill motor is 3500 ft lb rating single speed. New with bracket $2900.00 +-. I am guessing the drills are lite duty and would run $300.-$900. each depends on size and flights lingth. Like surfer-joe said drain and look for broken snap ring or what ever. If nothing it's a good way to start out.