• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Maximum GVW

Hitachi350Man

What's your guys max GVW where you are?
Here in British Columbia I think it's 63500 kg or 140000 lbs
Another BC guy correct me if I'm wrong.
So if you take the bucket off you could probably get
away with hauling a 450 hoe legally here in BC.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Here in Ca. its 80,000 lbs GCVW.
Permit loads will allow you to haul more as long as you have enough rubber on the ground.
This Cat 245B weighs 150,000 lbs.
The truck and trailer is around 45,000 lbs. (help me out Chaz Murry)
The GCVW is around 195,000 lbs :eek:
:cool:

Attachments

• IMGP0026.JPG
    IMGP0026.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 999
  • IMGP0032.JPG
    IMGP0032.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMGP0033.JPG
    IMGP0033.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 846
  • IMGP0069.JPG
    IMGP0069.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 848
  • IMGP0071.JPG
    IMGP0071.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:

BIGBEN2004

Yea in Maryland it is 80,000 pounds also. Anything more needs permits and more axles and tires.

Also did that truck make a left turn when their is a sign that says no left turns?

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
what does that truck have for a motor hp?
that is only a 245 cat hoe ?

Turbo21835

Yea in Maryland it is 80,000 pounds also. Anything more needs permits and more axles and tires.

Also did that truck make a left turn when their is a sign that says no left turns?

Those rules do not apply to heavy haul. At least thats the way most drivers I know look at it.

Here in Michigan you can gross out at 164,000 lbs. Doesnt matter what you are hauling. Only permit you would need is over width. It was common for us to move our 245s with the cw on, but without a stick. This was because we usually had a shear on the machine. No matter what you did a shear would put you way over weight. We would also haul a 350 in one piece, all we would do is pop the cylinder pin out of the stick so we could get low enough. Try and move that 350 in Ohio, no cw or stick

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
what does that truck have for a motor hp?
that is only a 245 cat hoe ?

It has a Cat C16 @ 600 hp.
And yes, that is "only" a 150,000 lb. Cat 245 Excavator.
I think thats the same as 8 JD 410G backhoes.:rolleyes:
:cool:

pdude

Well this is off subject but i can not start my own theard, right now my father and I have a pc-120 and no truck to pull it. A friend of a friend is sellin a 91 or 94 F700 (i personaly have not seen it yet), it weighs in right under cdl for neither of us have one yet. My main concearn is the truck legally able to pull our machine?

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
In New York with an overweight permit you can run 102,000 on 5 axles or 107,000 on 6 axles. The older permits were for 120,000 on 6 axles, now they are saying they are going to change that to 117,000 on 7 axles in the near future if you want to replace a truck with a 120,000 w 6 axles. All lift axles must be steerable on anything 2006 or newer. Most of the bridges going through the city are 80,000, the max is 105,000. Number of axles and overall length is how they figure your total weight. Every foot makes a difference. As far as a lowboy goes im not sure exactly when you start moving really big stuff.

PDUDE, I think your best bet would be to get your CDL and a truck and trailer with air brakes. I dont think you'd be legal with a 120 and no CDL anyway because of your overall weight. What you would spend on a truck and trailer with hydraulic brakes might be less in the beggining but in the long run it will cost you more, and if you plan on getting a CDL anyway, might as well start soon. Some truck driving schools make it quick and easy.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums pdude! :drinkup

xcavate

Well this is off subject but i can not start my own theard, right now my father and I have a pc-120 and no truck to pull it. A friend of a friend is sellin a 91 or 94 F700 (i personaly have not seen it yet), it weighs in right under cdl for neither of us have one yet. My main concearn is the truck legally able to pull our machine?

Any trailer over 10,000 will require a cdl even if the truck alone doesnt need one. Your truck would probably be legal with the pc120 on a tag trailer but the weight of the trailer will be around 35,000lbs. You WANT air brakes when towing a load like that.

pdude

Thank you, i have already started studying for the cdl permit, so i would be able to pull the machine with some one who already does have their cdl. The reason for this truck is the price is in our range and we just don't have the work right now to surport a larger more expenisve truck. We need a truck for it is getting very expenisve having some one else move our machines, so more a less this truck is a bandaid for our sitution until I can get more exavation work.

golddigger

I pull a hitachi ex-60 w/ a 429 gas 1988 F-800 and I am maxed out. I am in the process of upgrading to a single axle w/ 270 hp+ diesel. I couldn't imagine trying to pull a 120 size excavtor with even a f-700 diesel. I got my truck from a farmer who treated it like a cream puff and gave me a no walk away price. Great truck just not enough to function w/ piece of mind though in my situation.

AK20

Occupation
Operator, State of Alaska DOT
I forget off the top of my head what the limit in Alaska is with out permit, but like Pete said...anything can be permited with enough rubber on the ground. Case in point in the picture...GVW was 408,000 I believe, 22' wide, over 200' in length...and yes there are 4 push trucks that followed that load to help pull grade. Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay, 800-900 miles, total time...about 2 weeks:D

Attachments

• phpxM7uBXAM.jpg
    phpxM7uBXAM.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 169