• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Material and equipment price increases and availability

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hey CM. Did the RCP outfit shutdown during the *vacation for everyone* back in '20?

Or, did the workers just say fu©k it and not show up to work because they could make just as much or more with the freebies?

No rumor has it they are in hot water with the feds (FTC) and in some sort of merger/buyout situation. We got pipe and structures from them in Jan.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
While I appreciate the rising costs you have to be cunning
We sold our house, simple 3bd 1bath split for 420k that we paid 150k for 6 yrs previously.
Had builder put 28x44 2 bed 2 bath house on family land with river view and 3 bay garage, I did 660 ft driveway and underground utilities along with finish site for around 290k so made out like a bandit.
Sell higher build high lol

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yeah, & look at all the costs of upgrading your lot to prep it for that double wide. Last one I was involved with was modular set on a concrete foundation by crane. A simple rectangular ranch house. The owner bought the lot 20 years ago so he didn't factor land cost. Power, well, Comcast, septic system, driveway, he wanted a number of upgrades, & he had the walkout basement 3 bed rooms, two baths. His didn't come with a boiler. He added central air & a generator & a garage. His $150,000. house cost about $450,000 total.
What are regulations like in the US? Here, I can't sell building lots unless there is access to them. If along an existing roadway, I have to have the culvert installed, and it has to be 18 inch ribbed plastic, or concrete. If more than one lot, and they are not at the road, I have to build a suitable road, and I mean a wide ditched graveled road. Once approved, the province will put up a sign, and start looking after it. Grading, plowing, maybe even paving. Inside the city limits, if it was a large area, I would have to install water and sewer, curbs and pave, all within spec. Mind you a lot in the city large enough for a house sells for $30,000 depending the area. Once your street build is approved, it becomes city property, and they will maintain it, and you can sell your building lots. If I want to build a house outside the city, I have to pay a guy to come, and tell me where to dig some holes so he can check drainage for a septic system. He will advise on depth, and weather I can go down, or if I have to build up. If he give the green light, I can get a building permit. Once I get the permit, I can get temp power. The building inspector has to sign off on all steps of the build, and he has to give the ok before the inside walls can be closed in. At this point, If I have not already had my well put in, once it is done and approved, and water tests pass, I can get the power hooked up to my house. Once the home is done, they come and measure and take notes to decide how much tax I get to pay every year on the home I just paid a bunch of tax on to build. Oh and I can't do my own septic, it has to be an approved installer, I need a certified electrician to install, or at least sign off on my wiring before I can get power to the house hooked up, and all stamped lumber, no rough milled stuff.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
What are regulations like in the US? Here, I can't sell building lots unless there is access to them. If along an existing roadway, I have to have the culvert installed, and it has to be 18 inch ribbed plastic, or concrete. If more than one lot, and they are not at the road, I have to build a suitable road, and I mean a wide ditched graveled road. Once approved, the province will put up a sign, and start looking after it. Grading, plowing, maybe even paving. Inside the city limits, if it was a large area, I would have to install water and sewer, curbs and pave, all within spec. Mind you a lot in the city large enough for a house sells for $30,000 depending the area. Once your street build is approved, it becomes city property, and they will maintain it, and you can sell your building lots. If I want to build a house outside the city, I have to pay a guy to come, and tell me where to dig some holes so he can check drainage for a septic system. He will advise on depth, and weather I can go down, or if I have to build up. If he give the green light, I can get a building permit. Once I get the permit, I can get temp power. The building inspector has to sign off on all steps of the build, and he has to give the ok before the inside walls can be closed in. At this point, If I have not already had my well put in, once it is done and approved, and water tests pass, I can get the power hooked up to my house. Once the home is done, they come and measure and take notes to decide how much tax I get to pay every year on the home I just paid a bunch of tax on to build. Oh and I can't do my own septic, it has to be an approved installer, I need a certified electrician to install, or at least sign off on my wiring before I can get power to the house hooked up, and all stamped lumber, no rough milled stuff.
Some cities may have ordinances. Otherwise it's about a willing buyer & a willing seller. Rural lots tend to be 10+ acre, a carryover from Act 250 a blunder of a law from 1968, it exempted large lots from most regulation small lots were required to meet. These days all but those with public sewer & water must be perk tested, then an engineered septic design.