• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

massey ferguson power steering

IHJIM

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and new to backhoes. I am working on a late '70s Massey Ferguson model 50c backhoe loader with a 4cyl Perkins. The tractor steers very hard. Even if I push the front wheels off of the ground with the loader, it still steers hard. It has a Parker Hannifin power steering pump that is mounted on the timing cover and runs off of the gears inside. It has dual hydraulic cylinders that steer the front wheels. At the bottom of the steering colum is a tin can shaped valve that, I guess, directs the fluid.

The pump isn't noisy and it has plenty of fluid. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I don't know your front end , but raise it off the ground and check for frozen king pins or frozen spindle bushings ..

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Sounds like my combine. When you figure it out, let me know.

You may want to poke around some ag tractor forums, cuz this problem is common to ag equipment too.

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
There is a filter inside the oil res., could possibly be plugged. Or the pump could be shot.

danielm

+1 for frozen or dry kingpins. My old MF did the same thing once.

You should be able to disconnect one of the cylinder ends and see if they are assisting. Easy way to tell if the PS is working.