• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Massey Ferguson Industrial Backhoe

My Dad bought a backhoe
.Serial # 9A 258836. Has a 4 cylinder. PERKINS Diesel. No idea what year made or correct model. Maybe a MF60A? Unable to upload my pics. Thanks in advance for any help. Been googling for 2 days no luck.

Welder Dave

Tinkerer, you are the MAN! It's an MF50C. Big giveaway is the loader lift cylinders mount at the very bottom of the uprights. MF40B has them about 1/3rd of the way up. Front axle is a little different too. Should have a 4-236 engine that is really common and an improvement on the 4-203 as it has a balance shaft or vibration damper added that reduces vibration. It is 2/3 of a 6-354 that is legendary for reliability and low fuel consumption. Very popular engine.
Machine looks in decent shape other than the cosmetics. Might want to straighten the bars going from the bucket to the tilt cylinder linkage. I think it has a bucket level indicator on the right side that is operated by a cable/wire rope attached to the tilt cylinder linkage. Will have a pointer on the upright behind the boom pivot. Very handy. I'm pretty sure it also has "selective self leveling". If you pull the lever to lift the boom back further than to just lift, the bucket will start to tilt down so you don't dump material back on the tractor. Only works for lifting though. Pushing all the way forward should put it in float position.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

The 50C uses the 4-236 engine. If I recall it was the 1st Perkins engine designed specifically for a tractor. It found use in many, many industrial applications as well.