• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

massey fergeson 30E 3 point

steve23

I have a new to me massy furgeson 30E. It is a loader/scraper model with the gannon back. The issue I have is with the 3 point lift for the gannon box not wanting to lift up with the lever. when I raise the lever up, the arms of the 3 point move ever so slightly, but will not lift the box. However if I push on either the forward or reverse foot pedal, while the 3 point control is in the up position, then the box will go right up. Additionally, if i raise the motor speed with the throttle lever by the steering wheel, the gannon box will not go up. it only goes up if i press the forward or reverse foot pedals.

I drained out all the fluid and replaced. I also removed the oil screen inside the differential, from the bottom and cleaned it, it was not to dirty. I have the operators manual and service manual for it, came with the tractor, it told me how to drain the fluid and clean the oil screen. I'm not to experienced with equipment, but fairly mechanical. Is there a filter i am missing somewhere? or an issue with a pump? or any other thoughts would be very appreciated! thank you.

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
its not an issue that you can fix, the instant reverser transmission was built in a way that there was no room for a constant rotation shaft within the body. the driveshaft that spins the lift pump is driven a shaft that only turns when the direction shaft is spinning. this is the reason that the instant reverse tractors are not available with pto shafts.hope this helps

steve23

Thanks for the reply bvfdfire, that’s very helpful, it never mentioned that in any of the manuals. I’m glad it’s not something broken. But about the PTO, I’m at work right now so can’t check, but I thought it did have a PTO out the back and the lever on the left side to engage it.

Wes J

The tractor does not have "live" PTO or hydraulics. Pretty common on old tractors. If you need to use either while stationary, just pop the gear selector to neutral an then select forward or reverse.

Welder Dave

Although not very common some instant reverse tractors had PTO's. You had to be moving for the PTO to work and be extremely careful if you wanted to back up because the PTO would change direction and could cause serious damage to the implement and/or the tractor.