• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Maria Laveau still getting it

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
You can easily check to see if it is calcite or quartz. Get some type of diluted acid, like diluted hydrochloric acid. Drip a little on a clean sample. If it fizzes, it is most likely calcite. If it doe not fizz, it is probably quartz. The quarries up in the Ohio/Michigan border area are full of calcite crystals. Way back in my college days, we made several trips up to a Toledo area quarry to collect calcite crystals. They formed in pockets in the limestone.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well if we are showing off our rocks here are three of the ones we are using for lawn decoration!

IMG_0875[1].JPG IMG_0876[1].JPG IMG_0879.JPG

Probably should have put something in the pictures to give perspective of sizes. That middle one is only about the size of a basketball but is interesting as it looks to be a few different stones that were stuck in mud that eventually turned to rock.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Kshansen
Those are cool that middle one is real neat I’m kinda planning on using these for the same thing yard Stuff

I made a comment when we started doing this "yard work decorating" with stones about how some poor farmer spent untold hours digging up and dragging those dang stones out of his field and now this dummy is hauling them right back!

I can not begin to imagine the time and effort that went into building all the stone fences around this area and they did not have skidsteers or front end loader to do the lifting!

onemank6

Yeah I spent a good portion of the winter mortaring the basement it’s the rock basement walls I’m pretty sure there was a heck of a lot of Manuel labor put into building it I thought the same thing that had to of been tough work building it let alone digging it out heck they had to bust threw all this limestone just to get the hole dug

Grady

Hey xpack, those are some crazy rocks you grow up there. You should be selling them on eBay or craigslist. I haven't heard from Jusk or '68 but I don't spend much time here anymore. The powers that be told me that my point of view wasn't appreciated around here and threatened to ban me so I took the hint and went away but I check in now and then if I'm bored but I don't give advice anymore - no great loss to anyone cause I don't know much anyway. ; )

I love that creative problem solving - nice jig to move those rafter sections. My place needs a new roof this year, too. I'll try to post some pics when I get started but it won't come near that one of marie taking a big bite out of those rafters. Keep at it old friend. It looks like you're doing well and I'm glad Marie is holding up, too.

onemank6

Grady
I’ve always liked your point of view as far as knowing much you sure helped me when i redid Maria it was very helpful....
I don’t make it on here much either these days still trying to get it all together along with friends and family Maria has been a lifesaver if not for all that I’d probably be stuck in some apartment in the city somewhere that wouldn’t be a good thing for a guy like me....
Funny thing I had no idea when I did Maria or that camper I’m sure you seen they would be so important down the road heck I don’t go camping in the camper but I sure used it as home off and on....
Maria is clearing out a small section of woods right now to park trailers in on the new property I’ll post some pics maybe tonight....
Take care ol buddy

onemank6

Here’s some pics

Attachments

• 0C252225-832A-483B-B2BA-EF8B27A631CF.jpeg
    0C252225-832A-483B-B2BA-EF8B27A631CF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • AC6D1CDF-28CA-4775-B952-35537197B0FC.jpeg
    AC6D1CDF-28CA-4775-B952-35537197B0FC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 6D8148FA-9B75-4251-B28F-F3FDBDE05011.jpeg
    6D8148FA-9B75-4251-B28F-F3FDBDE05011.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 43EBF515-3A68-4003-9CA3-2518D55DF34D.jpeg
    43EBF515-3A68-4003-9CA3-2518D55DF34D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25

Grady

Those pictures look good. You must love being back out there tearing it up with Marie. You inspired me to fire up my old CK that's been sitting for a while cause I've been using the 4wd. I was thinking about selling it but I'm still too attached to it.

kshansen

Occupation
onemank6, kshansen:
Those boulders look great. Wish I had as easy access to them. I'm jealous of your properties!
Yea they are great till you get distracted while mowing the lawn and one reaches up from underground and attacks the mower deck!:mad:

onemank6

Maria has had her hands full here with the boulders for sure and it’s all new lawn this year so the poor old Johns Deere 316 is blazing the path with old blades right now maybe new next year for it there’s a lot being thrown out into the woods this year and yep there all the ones you know you’ve already removed until you hit it with the mower deck oops forgot one hahaha