• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

manual transmissions

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Tyler1022!:drinkup

Are you talking about telehandlers or straight mast? Personally I see no reason to have a telehandler with a manual transmission. My Ol' Blue, a 1998 Gradall 543D6, has a hystat transmission and it's the best for the application.

JDOFMEMI

I have an old Champ yard fork. It is what I think is the best of both worlds. It has a 4 speed manual, and a power shuttle for forward and reverse. It also has a clutch, but you can powershift the shuttle so you never need the clutch. I don't even use it to shift the 4 speed, just throw the shuttle in neutral and make the shift then keep on going.

With the manual you can put everything in neutral and flat tow it behind a truck. It even has the tow bar to do just that. I haven't seen any new tow behinds for many years though, so I don't know if they are still made or not.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I haven't seen any new tow behinds for many years though, so I don't know if they are still made or not.

I haven't either. Used to be popular at the lumber yards, the flatbed would tow the lift out to unload the lumber. Moffett's pretty much replaced that setup around here.
'

Tyler1022

Welcome to the Forums Tyler1022!:drinkup

Are you talking about telehandlers or straight mast? Personally I see no reason to have a telehandler with a manual transmission. My Ol' Blue, a 1998 Gradall 543D6, has a hystat transmission and it's the best for the application.

straight mast.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
straight mast.

We've got an old TCM FG10N3 with manual trans & a clutch. To make things even better, it doesn't even have power assist steering. :D

I've seen a lot of forklifts over the years and this is the only one (I've seen) with a manual transmission. And you know what's surprizing? It works well. We've owned it since 1991 and never put a clutch in it either.

BillG

"We've got an old TCM FG10N3 with manual trans & a clutch. To make things even better, it doesn't even have power assist steering. "

Post a picture of yours, I have one and still running on the original clutch. About a 1969 model.

Randy88

Can I ask why anyone would want a manual transmission in a forklift? There has to be a reason why you want one, what is it a automatic won't do as good or better? For the numbers made and demand for a manual I'd think its not giong to be cheaper than an automatic probably higher priced.

Dualie

when working with steel it was nice to be able to slip the clutch a little to make maneuvering easier. when dealing with 20' lengths on a 6' wide carriage and uneven ground it helped