• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Manitowoc 31000

Garwood

Hi there,

Just signed up on the forum, So when, where is this girl going??? I heard that the other is getting shipped over seas??? And how is it that the "end users allow HOME MADE CRANES on there jobsites? You would think that they would have smartened up after the major crashes out there!

If its not a Harley, Its not worth OWNING!

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
Hi there,

Just signed up on the forum, So when, where is this girl going??? I heard that the other is getting shipped over seas??? And how is it that the "end users allow HOME MADE CRANES on there jobsites? You would think that they would have smartened up after the major crashes out there!

If its not a Harley, Its not worth OWNING!
i have heard sometime in January. Have to build a barge to transport it to their first.

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
what i heard a barge is being made for it. Be pretty risky out in the ocean with the vpc though because of rough waters. Plus cant control it that well. Since it extends automatically by the load u are carrying. But sure it will be on a barge. Either complete wind towers setting up. Or oil platform rig work.
Be a awesome sight to see.

gostr8r

Occupation
Full time crane operator for Crane Rental Corp sin
Garwood, where are you in Orlando? I'm right here too. We must have met if your an operator in this town. And tell me about your Harley too. I'd like to know why you made the signature statement that you did. I've had a bunch of 'em over the years and ride as much as possible all year long still. Probably seen you on the road too. I will say this tho "There's nothing a Harley can do that my Star Raider 1900 can't do better, faster and longer!" I just go too far and too fast to ride a Harley, and I won't ever settle for for a lesser bike again. HD now makes the best bikes they have ever produced in over 100 years, but don't make one that I want or would own anymore. I would still ride with you tho, it's not what you ride it's that you ride that really matters. So even tho we are on opposite ends of the brand opinions we can have something in common. Hope to hear from you Garwood. Pm me to keep from hijacking this thread.

gostr8r

Occupation
Finally made it up to the factory in Wisconsin!!!!!!!!

I start 31,000 traing tomorrow and the 2 rigs look great out there in the bright sunny afternoon light. This is an operators dream and I'm living it! Don't wake me up!

Lump 72

I start 31,000 traing tomorrow and the 2 rigs look great out there in the bright sunny afternoon light. This is an operators dream and I'm living it! Don't wake me up!
Hope that the 31000 is big enough to do some of the world heavy lift work .has it picked a 1000 ton yet

Garwood

WOW! I bet that is going to be a cool experience!

I bet when the girl goes out on a two - three year job, Your going to relocate and be away from home for a long time!!!

Congrats!

Lump 72

When they find someone who can run it he better like to live in motels this crane will be all over I was told that in OCT the real operator was going to start training on the 31000 I think he was running a 1000 ton crawler in NY MUST BE A HOT SHOT

ben94f150

Occupation
fab
70 percent of crane rentals work is in the orlando florida area. Their is a big demand in the USA for these cranes. For example look in South Carolinia Bigge has their two new 125D their. Total lift capacity of 7500 tons. But its a ringer type so it can't move and carry its load. Can have up to 790 boom on it. The 31000 dosnt need as much site prep time as a ring based crane. Anyone who can run a 31000 is a heck of a operator. With a price tag 30 million. Also a company wouldn't just train one operator on this crane. Its a beast of a crane.

gostr8r

Occupation
Made it back last night from Manitowoc and here's a link to the pics I took while at the factory. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/Our Manitowoc 31000 making a 5500000 pound lift/ I must say it was much more impressive this time assembled than it was when I rode up there and saw it in '09. Both were being tested and reconfigured during the 2 weeks we were there and we got to get out there each day after class and crawl around on them to learn the different components and systems that it has built in to them. I only had a about 10 minutes in the seat, yesterday, to help lower the main jib strut for the rigging crew to put in another set luffing arrangement. As soon as I finger out how to upload the pics and vids from my new Droid Charge I will add those too. It took much better images than my digital camera did imo. It's too early to say but my coworker and classmate Mean Gene might have the first seat position, since he's been up there making test lifts before our training program that we just did. We plan on having 2 operators man the rig tho so maybe I can be #2. Four of us trained and we all passed with 100's across the board too. It was great to meet ben94f150 while up there and see his nice home, award winning Ford truck, all his models, his work site and meet his beautiful wife and their kitty Sassy.

Last edited:

gostr8r

Occupation
Yes the swingers are the one thing that Gene kept raving about. He says there the best he's ever tried! Garwood where are you in Orlando? Let's ride brother! Maybe tomorrow or this Sunday.
Looks Like Gostr8r has a one way ticket right into the seat!!! I bet the swingers in that girl are cherry!

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is about all i have to say.