• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Man Magnet

Animal

My husband and I bought our dozer about 6 months ago. I had no idea that heavy equipment was such a man magnet. We live on a fairly remote farm, but every male visitor we have HAS to go and see the dozer!

They love to look at it, and stand around reminiscing about dozers they have known. It is actually quite neat. When I was a young I hardly even knew the names of the different big yellow machines I saw. I am sure the male mind is wired differently when it comes to these things.

I celebrate the difference. I really like the fact that a big old machine, even just sitting there doing nothing, can give so many guys such pleasure. And when it is operating- well, LOOK OUT!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL, sounds like perfectly normal men to me. :D

Welcome to the forum Animal. :usa

Animal

Welcome to the forum Animal. :usa

Thank you very much, willie59 :) It is nice to join you guys here.

I'm sure I will learn a lot about dozers from everyone in this community. I hope I can give a little bit back in return, too.

Animal

I think you already have.;)

Welcome to the Forums!

Now you are a generous man! Thank you. My brain is busting trying to work out where CR is...don't tell me yet.

But, isn't it interesting how there is this attraction between man and machine? I can't think of anything else quite like it. Motorcycles only interest other bikers, tractors other farmers, but the dozer attracts all the guys!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
My lady thinks that my vocation as an operator is very masculine but that is as far as it goes,she must think about it a lot but she hides it very well from me:).Ron G

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
If you are like my wife, I'm sure u have spent countless hours trying to figure out the "other species". There's nothing like the smell of diesel fuel burning, the vibrations of the machine and the thrill of moving the earth that can sooth a man's heart. Welcome to the Forum.:cool2

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
But, isn't it interesting how there is this attraction between man and machine?

I have had the "yellow fever" my whole life. Like biggader said, theirs nothing like the smell of diesel and freshly turned dirt. Once it gets into your blood, it's a maddening disease.:D

Animal

"Yellow fever", I like that. It must be contagious, because I will admit that I am just a teensy bit interested in seeing some other dozers now. I don't think I would have been before getting our own. I guess just to see if they are bigger or smaller, and what sort of jobs they do.

I'm not sure I want to hear too many "Bulldozer adventure" stories, however. Some of the things they get up to are pretty scary and I might not be able to relax what with worrying what is going on up the hill at the back of the ranch!

biggrader, I wouldn't even attempt the "other species"- my one man is mystery enough :)

CM1995, my guess is Costa Rica?

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
It all depends on the culture. Most places I have lived people take a general interest is heavy equipment at work and women will check out construction workers. Now in Socal you where a lower life form if you had a blue collar job unless you where in the military.

Animal

Hey, dozerboy, it is good to hear that the women as well as the guys in Texas like the heavy machinery. There are probably gals here in NZ that do as well, but so far the men are well ahead.

It is never a good attitude to look down on other people who are working for a living, is it? We are all in this together, doing the best we can.

Special respect to servicemen and women this weekend in honour of Memorial Day. Hope the sun is shining on you, wherever you are :)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
CM1995, my guess is Costa Rica?

That's correct..for the time being.;)

It's kind of ironic, my next door neighbor down here is a New Zealander and a big rugby fan. I didn't know much about NZ rugby but now I am a fan of the All Blacks. :D

Last edited:

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Gidday Mrs Animal .
Yes it is abit of a disease amongst mankind; especially those from kiwiland and Orstrayla and some others further afield.
One thing you will find about us all tho. Is we are all usually down to earth; honest, caring people that treat others the same way we like to be treated ourselves, and try to look after a 'mate' or matesse. Although in my experience the female of the species that likes machinary is a very rare thing to be found.
Anyhow how about a pic of the beast in question [Dozer] and abit about it; we,re nosey specimens us machinery males.
Cheers Merv

Animal

I'll see what I can do about some pictures of the dozer over the next few days.

They may be "boring" stationary ones, however, rather than action shots.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
yes men do like looking at machines, There was alittle girl looking at her Granpa sitting in his chair, He was smilling , She said to Granma, Why is Granpa smilling,
Well says Granma he is smiling at his memories, Oh the liitle girl replied What are memories, Granma relpied They are nwhat young men make and what old men live On
So thats why men are interested in machines something to think about when they get old

Animal

Yep when i was a kid i got smacked for playing in the dirt now i get paid to and still love it Leroy

Brilliant :)

lpnt, I like the bit about what young men make and old men live on, Just lovely.

We had an "old guy" turn up yesterday with some memories. He had no reason to arrive, but ended up standing around the dozer and never came in for a coffee or anything. It was the Man Magnet in action again!

Randy88

I laughed once when an older guy told me to watch out, buying and running big iron is a disease and really addictive and then he turned and told my wife its already too late, he doesn't even know he's addicted let alone what he's about to do and go out and buy, he shook my wife's hand and said to her I'm so sorry that you've lost your husband to yellow iron disease and there is no cure, now after all those years maybe it wasn't so funny.

I talked to the same gentleman this winter while looking for a larger dozer and he told me to give it up, there's no such thing as a large enough dozer, only the one that you currently own will never be big enough, even after you buy the bigger one, the cycle just continues to repeat itself. He also told me once I get a little older I'll go from buying them and running them to just looking and dreaming of the machines I'm no longer able to operate, which is currently where he's at in life.

D6c10K

It's not just heay equipment...anything like trucks, tractors, jeeps, etc are a natural attraction.

A few years ago I finished restoring a WWII Jeep and decided to run it in the local 4th of July parade. While waiting in the parade line a Mom & 4 year old boy walked by. The boy exclaimed... "Look Mom! JEEP!" ..... It's genetic...were all born with it.

Last edited: