• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Making a consistent slope

Welder Dave

I'm going to be working on my oval track and need to put a consistent slope on it, mostly in the corners. The bottom half of the track has a 3% slope but there wasn't enough material to make the slope the entire width of the track (65'). I have additional clay to build the slope and just wondering what the simplest way to roughly spread the clay is? I don't know if I'll be able to get a grader to come and do it. I have a box blade I put gauge wheels on that are individually adjustable. Thought maybe I could set it on an angle to maintain the slope the full width of the track?

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Back when I used to run a grader, I used a cheap plastic line bubble level on the dash of my grader. I should think that you could mount a level on a 3 degree shim to your blade for a fast check of the setting while working. I'm sure there are electronic options also.

I've also installed Lev-o-Gages on lots of my equipment over the years. There are numerous models with different degrees of reading available and larger sizes are available for some models. I found this pic on Amazon.
71NbdUHkqPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

skyking1

Cheap magnetic pipe level on top of box blade. It has a 2% line on it.
I have used one on a mini for years to cut sidewalk grade. I put it on the sheetmetal in front of the pedals for easy reading. I toss another on the blade to check the "calibration".

muzy

I would over fill cut with fill compacted in 6 inch lifts, thean cut to grade. Dozer , grader
track loader. or box scraper. Box scraper would give me a sorer neck thou.
Cheers

Welder Dave

I think a level gauge would help. I'd like one that shows percentage of slope but don't know where to buy them? I was thinking of calling an equipment dealer to see if they sold them or knew where to get them. I can find RV level gauges but not the style I'm looking for.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips

Welder Dave

Cat has a slope meter but it's only graduated in 5 percent increments (0, 5, 10, 15) and costs about $120. I found this Empire Digital magnetic level that shows percent and got it for $85. I'll be able to stick it on multiple implements, the tractor and the skid steer and the bucket as well. I think I could use it to calibrate an RV level for showing the proper slope I want. Interesting that it's made by Milwaukee.

Empire®, True Blue® Digital Torpedo Level Magnetic 0.1° +/- (vallen.ca)

Tunneldigger

Occupation
Farmer with a job in town
I hope I can describe this right about a homemade level. I took 1 inch pvc 15 inches or so, I put a tee on one end and a 90 on the other end. Put a threaded plug in the tee for a filler plug. Then put a street ell on both ends so they are pointing toward each other but pointing up a bit. Cut a short pipe to act as a barb. Then I cut clear tubing hose so it would be the area to read the bubble. You put black tape around clear to be the lines on the level.