• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

HDX

Carl with H92 hauling Jens Nielsen's 1972 -- 72-20 American long boom shovel L167 out of Carmannah. I was the push truck for that one. shows us going over the Caycuse Bridge. Bottom picture is Dad with his last new truck Pacific P16. He got it Nov/1976. Franklin and Sarita split in Nov/75 so this was Sarita Divisions first new truck. It was the last one built with the small windshields. He stayed on her till he retired in 1986. H40 went through a few drivers and then ended up being cut up at Sarita Shop. Whenever I look at this picture I knew dad was getting old because it was the first time he ever had a picture taken outside the truck without his hardhat on. Guys like him were really something to work with Back and forth, steady those guys were special. Vigilant It was the first of the three P16 queens with the 3412 Cats

HDX

callingtheshop Had another look at the low bed picture It was GOING INTO CARMANNAH not coming out. Cant get that muddy coming out cause its all down hill but going out its a push over the bypass then up to the bridge then all the rest of the way in all gradual uphill most of the way SORRY

callingtheshop

Another truck rebuild, Fred Steinhauer the welder/fabricator, Dennis Fraser mechanic and Al Evans mechanic/lead hand.
Al was into photography and made up an album of each component where changes were made, all measurements etc.
These guys got it pretty fine tuned. I took the 1st one for a drive and was disappointed in the brakes, they were ok but not great.
The next one we installed brand new brake shoe spiders, not a rebuilt one, on each rear brake. That turned out to be the secret and
all the rest of the rebuilds got the same thing. Locked all four wheels just by looking at the treadle valve.
The old spiders had been sleeved and bored a few times and I guess were a long ways out of phase for precise shoe/drum contact.

Franklin River 15.jpgFranklin River 16.jpgFranklin River 17.jpgFranklin River 18.jpg

JDOFMEMI

That is a nice looking truck. The guys there should be proud of it.

It sure is hard to find that kind of workmanship and pride in a job well done anymore. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it is much harder to find.

HDX

I remember that oil shed very well. HHHMMM Just going to sneak in close and fill snipes engine. Not much on the dipstick

callingtheshop

JDOFMEMI, yes there was a lot of pride in the finished products from all involved, even the accounting department in the division.
Later years at another division the manager was given a sales pitch of $40,000 to purchase a rebuilt truck.
I countered that a new engine sitting on the floor (not installed) was over that so how could the whole unit be rebuilt for that price or was it just going to be shiny?
End of that scam.

HDX, since you've brought it up I happen to have a note that your wife put out.
Hey, some days, crap happens. Franklin River 32.jpgFranklin River 33.jpg

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
When I started at Kelsey Bay in 89, I think the dump machine was just being used to dump salvage wood. I only saw it used a few times, when I came back from being laid off in the summer of 90 it was gone.

dunwurken

There were days when over 100 loads a day went over the Kelsey dump, 36 off highway trucks between company and contractor plus some highway trucks thrown in. If the dump machine broke down you wouldn't believe how fast and how far the trucks backed up. Way past the fire hall and dispatch shack within half an hour.

callingtheshop

I too remember the dump machine failure times, you're right about the truck line ups being long and developing quickly.
If I remember correctly, the L-92 and A-sticks were taken down on a Saturday and the crew as I can remember from the left to the right in the top photo are:
Larry Atkinson, unknown, Brian Lindstrom (sitting), Aron Weibe, Alvio Bortolotto. I hope I have the names spelled correctly.
The L-92 went to Stillwater Division on the back of a Nickle Bros. tractor, no trailer. Did that ever squat down! That's how they wanted it.
Before the A-sticks were pulled over I was concerned they top would land on the highway and bet Aron a box of beer they would. Aron got the beer.
I think the top block ended up at Port McNeil.

BTC

Aron Weibe

I just saw Aron last week at Ron Sprouts service. Knees are acting up but still sharp as a whip. Lots of old timers in the crowd, Ted Tinga, **** Wheeldon, Norm Herban. It was a Kelsey Bay reunion to say the least.

We know one thing, the fellow who remains "Unknown" is not Ray Laviolette.

trakloader

I am not a very emotional person, but looking at the pictures in this thread nearly brings me to tears. Thinking of what we had with M&B and seeing what has become of the industry today..... I am just glad I am no longer a part of it. So sad to visit what used to be Queen Charlotte Division and see everything in ruins. Just breaks my heart. I guess we will never see anything like the old days again.

wornout wrench

I am not a very emotional person, but looking at the pictures in this thread nearly brings me to tears. Thinking of what we had with M&B and seeing what has become of the industry today..... I am just glad I am no longer a part of it. So sad to visit what used to be Queen Charlotte Division and see everything in ruins. Just breaks my heart. I guess we will never see anything like the old days again.

Very true Clint, Very true

I just sent an email to Don D the other day talking about what Juskatla was like when I was a kid up there.
By the time I was finished writing I was a little choked up, that is for sure.

Take good care of those pictures that you have, they are part of my heritage