• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

dunwurken

Question: If Weyco had not taken M&B over and raped the snot out of them, realistically, do you think M&B would still be in business today, or were they already in a weakened state, and vulnerable?

There is no short answer to your question. It was a unfortunate sequence of events that lead to the downfall of MB. It was like an accident which also is made up of a sequence of events. Change any one of those events and the results would have been different. MB was in dire financial difficulty in 1996. It was on the brink of failure. Unfortunately the CEO and senior management group at the time did nothing but take a wait and see approach. They thought they would just wait it out until things got better. It had worked in the past and they thought it would work again. But this time was different. MB was faced with poor markets, increased world competition, environmentalist campaigns to name a few obstacles. A new CEO (Tom Stevens) was appointed in 1997 that soon declared the end of clearcutting. He also sold off the Pulp operations in 1998. When the pulp mills where sold off there ended up being a surplus of cash. This cash should have been reinvested to avoid being in a position of shark bait for takeover. Being in a position of corporate shark bait is when a companies asset and cash position are more than what the share value is. Simply buy the shares and you will have gained a profit. In a conference call Tom Stevens was asked about MB now being in a shark bait position and was that money being reinvested to shield the company from takeover. Tom Steven's reply in his words " No one is stupid enough to take over a BC coastal forest company". In 1999 WY took over MB (they called it a merger). In order to survive MB's CEO and senior management group (prior to Stevens) would have had to make some draconian moves. Probably having the courage to sell off the pulp mills anyway or liquidating other major assets. Then putting the balance sheet back in order to avoid any thought of someone taking over MB. The next event in the sequence was the refusal of Stevens to avoid a shark bait position. Whether he wanted to avoid it or not can be debated, we will never know. It has been said the Stevens was put in place by WY to see this plan through. What would throw some cold water on that theory is that when Stevens entered the picture the MB shares where in the $ 16.00 range. By the time WY "merged" they where at $ 27.00. It makes no sense they would have waited that long to pull the trigger on the deal. Even if they wanted to wait to see if things where headed in the right direction they would have moved long before $ 27.00 a share. So two things lead to the downfall 1. The failure of the prior to Stevens CEO / senior management group and 2. Stevens failure to address the shark bait position . If either one of those two events would have a different outcome then WY would have never been in the picture
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
American loader QCI. operator Ray Biggs shared photo

Attachments

• Image (491x640) (491x640).jpg
    Image (491x640) (491x640).jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 1,344

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
There is no short answer to your question. It was a unfortunate sequence of events that lead to the downfall of MB. It was like an accident which also is made up of a sequence of events. Change any one of those events and the results would have been different. MB was in dire financial difficulty in 1996. It was on the brink of failure. Unfortunately the CEO and senior management group at the time did nothing but take a wait and see approach. They thought they would just wait it out until things got better. It had worked in the past and they thought it would work again. But this time was different. MB was faced with poor markets, increased world competition, environmentalist campaigns to name a few obstacles. A new CEO (Tom Stevens) was appointed in 1997 that soon declared the end of clearcutting. He also sold off the Pulp operations in 1998. When the pulp mills where sold off there ended up being a surplus of cash. This cash should have been reinvested to avoid being in a position of shark bait for takeover. Being in a position of corporate shark bait is when a companies asset and cash position are more than what the share value is. Simply buy the shares and you will have gained a profit. In a conference call Tom Stevens was asked about MB now being in a shark bait position and was that money being reinvested to shield the company from takeover. Tom Steven's reply in his words " No one is stupid enough to take over a BC coastal forest company". In 1999 WY took over MB (they called it a merger). In order to survive MB's CEO and senior management group (prior to Stevens) would have had to make some draconian moves. Probably having the courage to sell off the pulp mills anyway or liquidating other major assets. Then putting the balance sheet back in order to avoid any thought of someone taking over MB. The next event in the sequence was the refusal of Stevens to avoid a shark bait position. Whether he wanted to avoid it or not can be debated, we will never know. It has been said the Stevens was put in place by WY to see this plan through. What would throw some cold water on that theory is that when Stevens entered the picture the MB shares where in the $ 16.00 range. By the time WY "merged" they where at $ 27.00. It makes no sense they would have waited that long to pull the trigger on the deal. Even if they wanted to wait to see if things where headed in the right direction they would have moved long before $ 27.00 a share. So two things lead to the downfall 1. The failure of the prior to Stevens CEO / senior management group and 2. Stevens failure to address the shark bait position . If either one of those two events would have a different outcome then WY would have never been in the picture
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it. Such a shame to see such a great company go down, and even sadder to see it raped and pillaged. Weyco used to be a good outfit IMO. Then along came Mt. St. Helens. And after that, the stinking MBAs. When my father retired in about 1994, he was thoroughly fed up. Thoroughly.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Not sure if I posted this one already, but, I love this one, and the Y02 :)
View attachment 105831

Any idea what year that photo was taken in? What was the publication? I remember Tony quite well - a strong professional minded European. Torkel - this is the machine that caught fire some years after I left Sproat Lake Division. I worked with the Y-35, Tony ran the Y-02, Carl Buckner ran the Y-11 and Charlie Everard ran the Y-27 Washington. I remember that there was always a strong production competition between each of the machines.

I heard the story of the Wyssen show many times during my days at Sproat Lake - I did some logging near the old cut on Branch 308. The story goes that it was somewhat of a logging experiment - with the Swiss brought in to show the boys how to do it. I don't know if it was considered a success but the story goes that the balloon that created the lift for the rigging had to moored every night at days end. One particular nasty winter's night, a storm blew through the Taylor Arm area and ripped the balloon and all the attached rigging away - supposedly the crew showed up in the morning and there was bugger all left. The old boys used to laugh when they told that story.

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
The good old days when you could actually take a Cat in a creek!
now you would probably end up in jail!

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Dunno how you found that HD16B pic hiluxman ??
That pic was taken down on the west coast of the south island New Zealand !, belonged to furguson earthmoving. Was a 'cable price' [NZ Allis Chalmers dealer] advertisement pic, got a copy of it myself, NZ contractor magazine Nov 73

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
The Haida Monarch went up on the rocks in during the winter of 1980-81 these pictures are of it being repaired at the Esquimalt Graving dock . Sections are being floatedback in drydock to be repaired.Scan45.jpgScan46.jpgScan47.jpgScan48.jpgScan49.jpg

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic

Ah, I remember those trucks well - that pic really brings back memories. I remember the old Hayes mounted water tank units parked discreetly at some central wide spot all over the claim during fire season. They would drag them in at the end of fire season and put them up against the west fence of the shop yard. The sand trucks were a common sight when we logged in the winter shows. Where did you find these shots?

dmills1419

Occupation
Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
JackD
I took most of the photos I'm posting myself, I have about 1000 logging photos that I've taken over the years. Been to the island several times over the years, starting with a bicycle trip way back in 1960. I have a friend at Cobbel Hill that I've stayed with that is also interested in trucks. BTW, I listed that photo as a Hayes HDX, it's a HD-400. Hard to see these pix when I post them, the images are real small and my eyes are 70 years old.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
JackD
I took most of the photos I'm posting myself, I have about 1000 logging photos that I've taken over the years. Been to the island several times over the years, starting with a bicycle trip way back in 1960. I have a friend at Cobbel Hill that I've stayed with that is also interested in trucks. BTW, I listed that photo as a Hayes HDX, it's a HD-400. Hard to see these pix when I post them, the images are real small and my eyes are 70 years old.

I really regret not having packed around my camera more when I was a logger. Very few men did. Ben Schaefer - the First Aid Man would come around to the sides and take pics on occasion. My old chokerman, John Spencer (son of driver Alex Spencer at Sproat Lake) made the effort of tracking him down and obtaining some 6 x 8 black and whites that were taken of us back on the J-87 Sparmatic. He then passed them on to me and stated that the majority of the many pictures were given to the M & B archives. With the demise of the company, these were passed on to the library at UBC and are available for viewing online. They do not come close to catching the quality of images we are seeing here. Thank you all for making the effort to post what you have. My sense is that word is getting out and many retirees are digging through their archives and are starting to post them here. The best part is that here you get a story or two as well..

HDX

jackd That fire tanker posted above was one of 4 sidecab HD's at Sproat H83 H84 H103 H104 I will ask George Glaser or Alvin Roth

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
jackd That fire tanker posted above was one of 4 sidecab HD's at Sproat H83 H84 H103 H104 I will ask George Glaser or Alvin Roth

Give them my best - if they remember me... It has been over 31 since I saw them last. Was it you that said that many of the pictures from the old days are now in storage at the union hall?

HDX

That was the story I heard Maybe if I see Monte Mearns around I will ask him because he was in command about the time Sproat Lake went south