• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Machine advice to use

Alex T

Hello first time posting. I am needing some advice on what kind of machine will help me out. I am needing to dig about 200 tree irrigation moats. The moats are to keep the irrigation water near the root zone of the tree. The moat is not that deep at all maybe max depth would be 7 inches (17.78 centimeters). The moat would be circular/ oval in shape. The shape is where I am running into problems choosing a machine to use. The first thing that came to mind was a trenching machine. The only problem I see with that machine is it is designed to move forward and back not side to side.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can ease the process?

Thanks

Tags

Mini excavator. You don’t say how wide though? You could go at it with just the bucket or use a hydraulic tilting grading bucket. What’s your background operating equipment? That will make a difference on how efficient you will be, but I imagine you’d pick it up pretty quick. You may be able to rent something as well.

Ct Farmer

Well as a nurseryman for over 40 years and tree farm owner, I would suggest the tool to use is a hand shovel. If anything.

Or better yet build up moats above grade. We do that for a lot of what we grow.

Depending on the trees, how long they have been planted etc. you could very well cause severe damage to the root system.

If this will be a new planting, just set the tree a little low and don't backfill all the way.

What species are you doing this to?