• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

M11 won't start any ideas?.......

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
She runs good on ether but won't hit a lick on fuel lol, has fuel at the head on pressure and return (haven't put a gauge on it yet) also it doesn't seem to be powering up the shutoff solonoid I have ran a jumper wire to the shutoff and still won't run but that doesn't mean that the ECM is powering up...... Does anyone have a wire schematic for a celect plus ECM ? I do remember from the past that there is only really 2 wires (pos&neg) that require it to run, may not run right but will still run I had to do it to one of my red tops one time to get it in the shop but for the life of me I can't remember which two wires it was.....

Is there any way to test the ECM on the truck ? The truck ran when shut off a year ago but hasn't been cranked since, I expected to put a few batts in it and use it today.... But oh well.

I'm sure it doesn't matter but it's in a '98 paystar 5000

Pj

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I dont know about the paystar, but Freightliner FL series have 2 fuses at the battery box that feed the ECM if one goes bad... she no start. And they hid them well. Ask me how I know.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Oops. i think what i was trying to say is that the M-11 normally uses 2 feeds to the ECM. if one goes bad, you only have half your functions.

barklee

I know there is an inline fuse kind of to the upper right hand side of the ECM. If you trace the wiring back toward the cab you should find it. We have had a similar problem with our Kenworth and that was the culprit.

02Dmax

Check what these guys said and recheck your battery connections.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

powerjoke

Occupation
Did it, well I only found one fuse and it was right next to the ECM, and it was a grounded fuse not powered...... Thought it was a little odd but I guess that's what it's supposed to be ?

New batteries, good connections 13+ volts at starter and cab and volt meter on dash

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Ground fuse? that is wierd. I know all the manufacturers do things diferently, but that doesnt seem right. JMO.

powerjoke

Occupation
Ground fuse? that is wierd. I know all the manufacturers do things diferently, but that doesnt seem right. JMO.

I'm totally with you there, not likely but not impossible, the new dodge pickups are all ground switched from the headlights to tailpipes lol.

Pj

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Pj, I just went through the exact same issue with my m-11 and ended up getting a reman ECM from Vander Hogg in KC, cost was 2500 to get it installed

powerjoke

Occupation
Anyone have a idea on where to get a schematic?

02Dmax

Lookup M11 wiring schematic in google images. Quite a few there. There has to be 2 powered fuses somewhere on that thing between the ECM and batts. Might be hiding from you down along the frame or something.

powerjoke

Occupation
my thought too, but damned if i can find the other one. the strange thing is that i dont have an odometer either and the guy at n14parts.com was really helpful and actually had schematics, he made mention that the odometer may run through the ecm not only the instrument cluster

02Dmax

Ya the tach and speedo should run through the ECM. I've had timing sensors do that after a truck sits awhile too.

powerjoke

Occupation
this thing is definatly dead, there is nothing coming out of the ECU at all i cannot get the scan tool to connect, also the deutch connector next to the ECU has a ground but no positive in it, I dont believe the ECU is getting voltage into or out of, I'll keep looking for a truck schematic and an ECU schematic,

oh and to top it off, the lil 3126 took a dump on us, this truck, then had one of my dumps with a 60series get towed in on friday..... (i can probably guess whats wrong with it :rolleyes: )

pj

powerjoke

Occupation
Hey PJ, I got an idea, but you won't like it......

go buy a bunch of surplus 6-71s

lol you wont hear me talk bad about a 6-71 weve had a bunch of them, loud obnoxious critters with low power but easy on fuel and for the most part pretty damned dependable and easy to tinker with

pj

Queenslander

Pj, I just went through the exact same issue with my m-11 and ended up getting a reman ECM from Vander Hogg in KC, cost was 2500 to get it installed

I too had a similar problem last week, Cummins here wanted $4800 for new ecm.
Thankfully it was only a break in the key switch circuit to the ecm.
Cheers, Greg

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
Internationals have some fuses in the battery box that blows out and can cause this also check all the wiring connectors in the harness unplug them and look inside I think they have to many AMPS running thur them and they melt down I've had to bypass all the connectors and put inline circuit breakers in my '08 MXT pickup some of them on the side of the road. there is also a grounding stud that comes thru the firewall and has nuts behind the dash that will work lose and cause all kinds of gremlins look real good it's hard to find .hope this helps

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Were you able to solve your problem? My M11 (1996) starts hard but once it warms up is good for the whole day. Doug