• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

m grader

grader09

I still see negative comments about the m graders. I think they are a great machine.I have over 5300 hours on my 14m and i have had very few problems with the machine.I had a 14g and 2 14hs before this 14m but this m is a much better machine.when working heavy windrows the front end on the m doesn't slide like the h,it has more power (70 hp in 3rd gear) and the cab is very quiet.The joysticks make mutiple functions very easy as compared to the h.As for older operarors I was over 50 when I got the 14m and the first week I had it I was cutting shoulder lines.The first mile I did was slower than with the h but it wasn't long before I prefered the m over the h.Cat has been very good with updates.One update slowed the steering about 30% and the latest update I have slowed the steering again at higher speeds, and I also have the new software which allows you to select different settings for blade control fine -normal-coarse.This is a great feature that makes the m even better.If you have a chance to run an m don't hesitate accept technolgy or be left behind.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Well said grader09. I've worked with graders all the way from a 212 Cat to today's M Series and now train opertors. Every advancement took some time to get used to (remember hydraulics?). Anything that makes my work day easier I'm all for and I think Cat has done it here. I know and meet operators all the time who at first were nervous about the controls but after a bit of time would never give them up. Haven't met one guy who would go back happily. The control issue always comes up but the entire machine is well built and thought out.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Where I work they just bought a new 16M with GPS. The operator loves it he said it only took less then a day to get used to it. I will try to get some pics of it, right now it is on a different job.

N.CarolinaDozer

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I had the privilage to run a 12M for about a month while our H was in the shop and I loved it. It only took me about an hour to learn the controls. My bossman got in it for about five minutes and got pissed. He toldme to get in it a I better learn it fast. Our company owns three if these, but they seem to stay on other jobs, so maybe I will get the chance to run one soon again.
Side view:
12M day.JPG
Right before dark:
12M.JPG
Cab view:
12M Cab.JPG

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
Honestly, I can't say that all multi-function operations are easier with the M than they were with the H. Extending your reach to the right with blade and circle sideshift, and clockwise circle rotation is still difficult for me. It's hard (for me) to hold the right stick tight enough to circle and sideshift, and still be able to get my thumb up to sideshift the circle. Articulation and steering work together very well. I love my 140M AWD, and when I can get the machine to do what I want without having to think about how to do it, then the transformation will be complete. With the G and H series, it seems like there were things that you wanted to do, but you were limited by how fast you could move your hands from control lever to steering. That problem is now history. The straight frame button and mini-joystick control for the snow wing should really help operators get going again after making a tight corner on a slippery township road. We have been given a great machine, and it is up to us to try to use it to it's full potential.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Here are some 16M's building road in Alberta. They could move a pile of dirt in a hurry. The operators caught onto these machines quickly and were doing very good work with the new graders.

Attachments

• Merkley 004.jpg
    Merkley 004.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,490
  • Merkley 009.jpg
    Merkley 009.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3,690

GPSGrader

Occupation
Grade Foreman/Operator - 95% Motor Grader
Cat has been very good with updates.One update slowed the steering about 30% and the latest update I have slowed the steering again at higher speeds, and I also have the new software which allows you to select different settings for blade control fine -normal-coarse.This is a great feature that makes the m even better.If you have a chance to run an m don't hesitate accept technolgy or be left behind.

I was curious about the update for the blade control. Sounds like the best update I've heard about for these machines. Was that an aftermarket purchase by the machine owner or is that a free update from the Cat mechanic's laptop software? I've been asking for blade speed control for years now. this must be a newer update?

grader09

The update is from the cat mechanic's laptop software.I was told by the cat mechanic in our area they were trying a few machines to see how the operators responded to the controls.I talked to the cat mechanic last week and he told me he was installing the software in all the machines he services. I sure like mine

Grader4me

I took this picture of a 140M that a paving contractor working for us is using. The operator wasn't around and the machine was locked up. I was really hoping to give it a try or if nothing else play around with the controls. I did get to rub up against it a bit though :)

M3.jpg

smoothoperator

Occupation
We received a letter from our dealer letting us know about some safety updates for my 140M AWD. Steering, transmission, and parking brake improvements/updates. It should be done sometime this week, so I'll let you know how it goes. Hour meter hit 300 today, almost half of them are mine, and I'm getting more comfortable with it every day. Watching for hose and wiring rubs, but not finding too many. Fuel consumption is about 1-1.5 GPH less than my 143H, doing about the same type of work. Cab is super quiet, and the A/C works well enough to freeze your...knees.

curb slayer

good to see they have slowed the hydraulics down ,was one of my dislikes about the m. down here in oz our machines a built in brazil not in usa.we have poor bulit quailty paint, cracking in welds, hoses rubbing ,poor door sealing on cab doors.I think electric over hydraulic is not the way to go with graders as it takes one of your senses away (feel).Not trying to upset any one here, but all the pictures i have seen of the m's working are doing basic work.Try using the joysticks when trimming to string line or triming crushed rock against curb and you will start to see the downfall of electric over hydraulic control(lack of feel)

keerym

The M's work well in finish applications as well. May not be the first hour, but most operators catch on fast. The operator in the first picture is grading a new street in Salt Lake City. The 140M is a rental, which the operator has taken to like a duck to water. He wants to keep it and thinks Cat should have invented the controls 10 years ago.

Attachments

• Silver Spur 140M.jpg
    Silver Spur 140M.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,490
  • 120M Finishing 2.jpg
    120M Finishing 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,579
  • 120M Finishing.jpg
    120M Finishing.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,442

grader09

Hi curbslayer, I don't know if you have tried an m with the new update for blade control but I find it a big improvement.

smoothoperator

Occupation
My 140M AWD is made in USA. Weld quality, paint, hose and wire routing all look good. It was a low hour rental return, spending it's first 150 hours in SD plowing snow, I suppose. Working it hard in warm weather brought out a few o-ring failures, one close enough to the radiator area to give it an oil fog job. The circle sideshift cylinder had a defective weld at it's base, and leaked enough to fly up on the RH door while roading. Moving the blade sideshift cylinder to the left side is GREAT if you had trouble bumping into your wing post, but it is a real PAIN when you are running 14'+2' and try to narrow up for highway travel. The head of the pin on the end of the sideshift cylinder matches up almost perfectly with the bottom left step. I will take some of the blame, OK, all of the blame, because it didn't do it until I moved it to gain a little more reach out to the right shoulder. I may build another pin, with all of the needed retaining parts between the cylinder rod bracket and the moldboard, which should keep me from snagging the step. Outside rearview mirror brackets seem just a few inches too short for a good crossover view out back. Still think this is a great machine, just pointing out a few things I have noticed. Others may not have problems with any of these. I try to eliminate the cause of my headaches, then I don't have to treat them later.

curb slayer

My 140M AWD is made in USA. Weld quality, paint, hose and wire routing all look good. It was a low hour rental return, spending it's first 150 hours in SD plowing snow, I suppose. Working it hard in warm weather brought out a few o-ring failures, one close enough to the radiator area to give it an oil fog job. The circle sideshift cylinder had a defective weld at it's base, and leaked enough to fly up on the RH door while roading. Moving the blade sideshift cylinder to the left side is GREAT if you had trouble bumping into your wing post, but it is a real PAIN when you are running 14'+2' and try to narrow up for highway travel. The head of the pin on the end of the sideshift cylinder matches up almost perfectly with the bottom left step. I will take some of the blame, OK, all of the blame, because it didn't do it until I moved it to gain a little more reach out to the right shoulder. I may build another pin, with all of the needed retaining parts between the cylinder rod bracket and the moldboard, which should keep me from snagging the step. Outside rearview mirror brackets seem just a few inches too short for a good crossover view out back. Still think this is a great machine, just pointing out a few things I have noticed. Others may not have problems with any of these. I try to eliminate the cause of my headaches, then I don't have to treat them later.

it sounds like the usa built machines are built alot better then the brazil machines we are getting and cats alot better with upgrades in usa

curb slayer

The M's work well in finish applications as well. May not be the first hour, but most operators catch on fast. The operator in the first picture is grading a new street in Salt Lake City. The 140M is a rental, which the operator has taken to like a duck to water. He wants to keep it and thinks Cat should have invented the controls 10 years ago.

yes the m can do finish work but what i've found and what other operators who have had more seat time then me in m's have said,that the h is a better and easier machine to operate in final trim work. i'm not trying to run the m's into the ground here they do have some good ideas ,the cab is so quiet and has a good view to the moulboard,the ajustment of blade shims, extra weight/hp,the artic back to straight button and circle pad replacement very easy now.With cat only offering joystick controls alot of contractors/owner operators who only brought cat have changed brands.I think cat should of offered two opions(john deere g series) and did more testing before release and they would of held they market share.

Grader4me

Grader4me, are you saying you were in a rut... with that grader?... :lmao

OCR... :D

:eek: What kind of guy do you think I am? I only take this grader stuff so far...:tong It is a good lookin machine though..makes an old fashion grader guy think and do crazy things.... if you're meaning the same kind of rut I think you are..:D
OCR..get your mind out of the gutter for gods sake, Squizzy is going to get the wrong impression of me again lol.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
m grader:

:eek: What kind of guy do you think I am? I only take this grader stuff so far...:tong It is a good lookin machine though..makes an old fashion grader guy think and do crazy things.... if you're meaning the same kind of rut I think you are..:D
OCR..get your mind out of the gutter for gods sake, Squizzy is going to get the wrong impression of me again lol.
:falldownlaugh

if you're meaning the same kind of rut I think you are..:D
Well...

First one... click on it. lol
Or...
Second one... click on it. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rut)

OCR..get your mind out of the gutter for gods sake

My mind was not in a gutter... it was in a rut... LOL

And... I wasn't the guy who said... "I did get to rub up against it a bit though"... :lmao

Squizzy is going to get the wrong impression of me again lol.

Uh... where's that thread???... I think I need to investigate that one a little...:eek:
LOL

OCR... :D :D

You know which one I'm mean'n... You'd better go to town... I'm think'n you've been out in the woods to long... lol, lol.

Last edited: