• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

M.A. Gammino Construction

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Maybe some of our New England guys can help me out on this one. While looking at an old Hough Paydozer ad, I came across the Gammino name and recognized it from somewhere. I did a search and only came up with a few addresses, some million-dollar highway contract references from the 60's, and a couple of lawsuits involving Tilcon-Gammino.

What happened to them? Did they get swallowed under the Oldcastle umbrella, go out of business, or just keeping a low profile? They seemed to be quite a large outfit at one time.

jimmyjack

i dont know what happened to them ,but i know that a former pit in ri and two in se mass are know pj keating, theres a few trucks in those pits that still say tilcon and tilcon/gammino

Patriots88

Gamino was in cranston RI while Capaldi had plants in southeastern MA both were there own companies until bought out by tilcon then being called .... tilcon capaldi and tilcon gamino. A few years back the old castle group came in and bought tilcon capaldi and gamino, they also bought a northern MA company called PJ Keating then naming all three companies under the PJ keating name once all owned by oldcastle. I assume they used the keating name because they bought all of keating's plants while only buying the gamino and capaldi branches of tilcon, because I believe there is still a tilcon tomasu or tilcon conneticut ? not sure

Patriots88

Oldcastle also owns the precast plant that makes all the barriers for the highway and other big scale precast projects. Oldcastle is one huge company.

Patriots88

Sorry for another post ...... but i just went on the oldcastle website and they also own tilcon, I always thought oldcastle bought out tilcon which is why they changed the name to keating ..... but I guess I was wrong. From the website I also saw that oldcastle owns pike industries a major construction company in Maine an New Hampshire.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Patriot, Oldcastle does own Tilcon Connecticut (comprised of Angelo Tomasso, Inc., Balf/Savin, and New Haven Trap Rock), Tilcon New York (New York Trap Rock), Tilcon Delaware, Pike, and Keating (Capaldi and Gammino). And they are a massive company, not only in aggregates and asphalt and concrete, but also precast, brick/block and glass products too.

Is it me or did Tilcon buy out these companies just for their materials production? Tomasso, Balf-Savin, and Gammino were once huge in construction and built miles of highway among other projects, but it seems that only the building materials parts of the companies remain, besides road rehab and paving.

Patriots88

Is it me or did Tilcon buy out these companies just for their materials production? Tomasso, Balf-Savin, and Gammino were once huge in construction and built miles of highway among other projects, but it seems that only the building materials parts of the companies remain, besides road rehab and paving.

Well from what I believe when tilcon bought all these companies it was just tilcon no oldcastle involved. While just tilcon they did paving, utilities, heavy construction. Once oldcastle came in and bought them out is when they decided to stick to paving and selling materials. They only pave because on these resurfacing jobs it is the most profitable item on the job. The other reason being that paving is low liability..... while having a guy in a trench is high liability. I think they would rather sub the other work out so they can make a little profit off the subs and let the subs have the liability.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
When Tilcon came on the scene years ago it appeared that they were focusing on buying the companies that had resources (raw material).I hauled material out of all those quarries before they were sold.NHTR,Balf and Tomasso.How about Galasso up in Granby?Tilcon owns that quarry too,or did until recently?Ron G

stretch

Occupation
gopher
When Tilcon came on the scene years ago it appeared that they were focusing on buying the companies that had resources (raw material).I hauled material out of all those quarries before they were sold.NHTR,Balf and Tomasso.How about Galasso up in Granby?Tilcon owns that quarry too,or did until recently?Ron G

Tilcon bought out Roncari Industries which ran the Granby quarry and asphalt/concrete plants in 1995, but the State forced them to sell it back less than a year later since they controlled most of the other trap rock quarries in the Hartford area. The Galasso family took control of it, but they have a deal with Tilcon which allows them to run the concrete plant.