• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lull questions and help please

tacotory

I just bought a 1997 Lull 844C-42 (serial #97w14p22672) with 1800hrs at auction and I have a few questions.

The machine was described as a 10,000# unit. It has outriggers and looks like the size of a 10K# unit. I have never seen one of these boom forklifts with outriggers that wasn't a 10K# machine. When looking online though, all the 844s are listed as 8,000# units. So, were the outriggers an option on the 8,000# machines and this is 8K#, or is this really a 10K# machine?

Second, what is the proper use of the traversing cab/ boom assembly? Is this just to extend forward reach distance?

Third, anyone know where I could find a manual for this, either book style or a .pdf? I looked on eBay and there weren't any and there is very little info from Lull online because it looks like they were bought by JCB and they only have info on their site on the newer machines.

On the traversing boom assembly, I read on here where someone said to grease the wheels but make sure to not get any grease on the rails so that they wouldn't slide- does this sound correct?

Finally, are there any trouble areas on this machine that I should look closely at when going through it when I get it home? Also, I want to replace all the fluids when I get it to my shop an need to get all the lube specs from somewhere. Is there an online resource for this or would that just be avail in the manual?

Lulls aren't big on the west coast, so dealer support isn't the greatest.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpg
    IMG_2732.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,573
  • IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,594
  • IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,696

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Owners and parts manuals are on line at JLG.com 844 has a three secton boom and 1044-54 has 4 section. they also made a 1044C-42 three section boom.

Traverse extends reach and makes it easy to land at height. Your capacity will diminish as to carriage the load forward check the charts.

I think I only saw one 844c with outriggers in a picture. Now I am doubting myself as I can't find the picture I saved.

Yes keep the roller surface and the rails dry or they slide and flatten. Check all the wear pads and rollers. Check they roll and not slide. Wear pad specs are at JLG.com serial number I can check later. post a picture of the ID plate in the cab or did your not get the machine home yet? Check chains and tension also. Check the planateries, diffs, tranny and filters

Parts are no problem for the Lulls there are a few good parts suppliers that I know of.

If it is an 844 I doubt it will lift 10,000 lb. It will increase capacity when you transfer the carriage forward. It does look like an 844 and you may have found my missing link. I think it says 844 on the side correct? Can't really see great in the picture. 844c has a boom like yours pictured, the 10,000 1044C54 or 42 has a square plate boom construction not rounded or rolled corners.

If you don't mind me asking what did you get it for and how many hours? Looks decent Good Luck!

Last edited:

tacotory

Tire Ballast?

Should this machine have tire ballast installed? I am putting on new tires and am wondering if it needs the ballast. If so, what is the best material to use? :beatsme

tacotory

Radial tires?

One other question on tires- the tire dealer has some radial tires (Double Coin) that he will give me a good deal on and he says they have the potential to get close to twice the life. Would the radials be a good tire for this machine? The Bias tires are about $100/tire less (Sampson), but to get twice the life would be good for a $400 investment.

My three options are:
Sampson bias- $325 ea
Yokohama bias- $449 ea
Double Coin radial- $420 ea

Anyone have thoughts on this?

barklee

95% sure it does. If you are using for construction you will want foam filled. first time you get a flat and empty all the calcium you will be pissed!!! Plus the calcium rots the rims. I guess if you are using the machine a week here and a week there calcium would be fine vs the big bucks for foam.
On the tires, we run Titans pretty good tires for the money cant remember the exact price (maybe 425 ea). We had a set of double coins on a dump truck and ended up trading them in because they were blowing out! We actually run Yokohamas now and they are good tires, dont think you would go wrong there. Also, you might try to get a price on Denman tires they are pretty good too.
I didnt read all the posts, that thing is a 1044c54 right??? They dont make an 8000 with out riggers??? I would be very supprised if it wasnt

tacotory

95% sure it does. If you are using for construction you will want foam filled. first time you get a flat and empty all the calcium you will be pissed!!! Plus the calcium rots the rims. I guess if you are using the machine a week here and a week there calcium would be fine vs the big bucks for foam.
On the tires, we run Titans pretty good tires for the money cant remember the exact price (maybe 425 ea). We had a set of double coins on a dump truck and ended up trading them in because they were blowing out! We actually run Yokohamas now and they are good tires, dont think you would go wrong there. Also, you might try to get a price on Denman tires they are pretty good too.
I didnt read all the posts, that thing is a 1044c54 right??? They dont make an 8000 with out riggers??? I would be very supprised if it wasnt

Thanks for the input on the tires.

On the 844 vs 1044 question, that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. I've never seen an 844 with outriggers either, and it looks to be the size of a 1044, but it does have an 844 sticker on the side. It was advertised as a 10K# machine.... :beatsme :beatsme I hope it is. At any rate, I'm glad to have the outriggers.

Speedpup

Occupation
Thanks for the input on the tires.

On the 844 vs 1044 question, that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. I've never seen an 844 with outriggers either, and it looks to be the size of a 1044, but it does have an 844 sticker on the side. It was advertised as a 10K# machine.... :beatsme :beatsme I hope it is. At any rate, I'm glad to have the outriggers.

Look at the boom construction of a 1044 it is constructed of 4 plates of steel welded together. Your Lull does not have that it has 844 boom construction where the corners are rolled/rounded.

You do need calcium in the tires. It is cheaper less wear and tear on the machine than foam. There is a ballast that will not rot your rims look back a bit I ask the question. It was not available near me. If you get a flat with calcium you can plug it with no tubes. Takes rims 10-20 years to rot from calcium. There should be a sticker on the frame thats states calcium is required, It will be in the owners manual aslo if you read it.

here is the link to tire ballast discussion https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=11662
I bought Titan tires also. They are made in the USA you could go Michelin radial and they are big bucks. Doubt you will get double on a radial tire for wear.

When you replace a foamed tire you need to cut the tire off and clean the rim. I rarely get flats may be a nail or two a year and I plug them onsite which is easy.

Last edited:

Speedpup

Occupation
So was it an 844 with outriggers thanks

tacotory

So was it an 844 with outriggers thanks

I'm thinking so. The boom construction is as speedpup said, and it does have an 844 sticker on the side, so I guess it is an 844 with outriggers. Go figure!

On the topic of the Lull machines, is there a resident expert on the Lull machines on here? Reason I am asking is that I am having some intermittent issues with the machine that are electrical in nature and I think are related to a faulty sensor or lock-out circuit. I am having situations where the chassis tilt function is getting locked out and the rear axle is getting locked from being able to pivot. My understanding is that these two functions are supposed to lock out when the boom is over 40 degrees, but mine is locking out with the boom down much lower than that. Anyone here that could help me troubleshoot?:beatsme:confused::beatsme

Speedpup

Occupation
try webequipment.com they help with problems / diagnosis if you buy parts there. Can't be many machines like yours around.:eek: Nice feature. Did you look at JLG manuals online they have trouble shooting on there I think?

HEAVY386

Occupation
MOBILE EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
the serial number is stamped on frame rail and should start with 844 or 1044 in it. As for your lockout I think the pasition sensor on back side of boom tells when to lock check clean and tight good ground. when checking out check hoses in boom for weather cracks nows the time to change instead of on the job site.