• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LULL 644D-34 HIGHLANDER

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I just won the bid on a Lull 644D-34 and have a question. I change all fluids when I buy used equipment. I use Shell Spirax S4 TXM for my Mahindra tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid. I use Chevron Torqforce for my CAT excavator hydraulic fluid.

Does the Lull use a certain type of fluid, or can I use the Shell Spirax or the Chevron Torqforce in it? I can manage with two different hydraulic fluids, but don't wanna have 3 different brands.

I will do this ASAP, as I hate adding fluids to unknown fluids.
Engine oil is a no brainer.................Shell Rotella T in everything, even my gas engines.
hugs, Brandi

tractormech

Are you talking about the Little Lull with the engine and transmission on the side? If so it's not a ZF transmission- it's a Clark/Hurth affiliated with Spicer. They recommend a TO-4 fluid or a lot of people run 10w30 motor oil. I've seen both and they seem to do fine.

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Yes, that is it. Here is a photo of it.Lull.jpg
Then the Chevron Torqforce fluid will work, as I was told my a CAT repersentative that Chevron makes CAT hydraulic fluid. TO-4 Fluids are specifically formulated SAE 10, SAE 30 and 50 oils designed to meet Caterpillar’s latest Transmission and Drive Train Lubricant specification. TO-4 supersedes and replaces Caterpillar TO-2 requirements. I'm pretty sure The Chevron meets TO-2 requirements. Thanks a bunch.
hugs, Brandi

tractormech

A good tractor hydraulic fluid in a 10 wt meets specs. Don't buy cheap hydraulic oil as it doesn't have the anti foam and rust inhibitors that's good for the system. Oil is cheap compared to pumps.

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
A good tractor hydraulic fluid in a 10 wt meets specs. Don't buy cheap hydraulic oil as it doesn't have the anti foam and rust inhibitors that's good for the system. Oil is cheap compared to pumps.
Thanks. The Shell and Chevron run about, last time I purchased, around $48-50 or so for a 5 gallon bucket. So it will be Chevron Torq Force 10 wt for hydraulic and 50 wt for the transmission fluid.

What wt. for the axles and Transfer case?
hugs, Brandi
Amen to $$$$ pumps.
hugs, Brandi

tractormech

Thanks. Once I get it home, I gotta get one of these for it.... https://www.durattach.com/telehandl...haugen-telehandler-tele-tach-model-mtach.html So I can use my grapple to wrestle logs bigger than my tractor can lift.
Merry Christmas hugs, Brandi
If I can let me give you some advice- This machine has 2 gearboxes that change direction on the power transmission of the driveline. One turns the power at a 90 degree angle and the second is a Tee that goes to the differentials. Don't jam the forks in anything and spin the wheels. The gearboxes can fail under that sort of strain. It's made to pick and carry loads, not push them around like a bulldozer The chains in the boom don't like it either Treat the machine right and it will give you good service. Good luck with it!

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
If I can let me give you some advice- This machine has 2 gearboxes that change direction on the power transmission of the driveline. One turns the power at a 90 degree angle and the second is a Tee that goes to the differentials. Don't jam the forks in anything and spin the wheels. The gearboxes can fail under that sort of strain. It's made to pick and carry loads, not push them around like a bulldozer The chains in the boom don't like it either Treat the machine right and it will give you good service. Good luck with it!
Thanks for the information. It will be for moving logs with a grapple and hanging roof trusses. Moving fresh cut lumber around. I might make a backet for it for tree limb trimming. Maybe moving sawdust from the sawmill.

I use Shell Spirax HD 80-90 wt. in my tractor's front axle and hubs. Will this be okay for the Lull's gear boxes and hubs?
hugs, Brandi

tractormech

My book says transmission uses Citgo Hyguard tractor hydraulic fluid. The gearboxes, diffs and planetary hub ends all take 80w90 and the hydraulics take an ISO 32 fluid but you know the better quality oil is well worth the extra money.

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Can the machine handle sitting still and extending a bucket into a pile of dirt or gravel?
hugs, Brandi

tractormech

Personally, I wouldn't. The machine boom isn't designed for that. It's made to extend and retract an elevated load-The chain in the boom wasn't made to operate at that force and stress. That said, it'll work 'til it don't if you use it like a front end loader. When the boom chain and rollers fail you'll have a problem on your hands.

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Where do Y'all buy your Lull parts? Specifically hydraulic and transmission filters?
hugs, Brandi

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Personally, I wouldn't. The machine boom isn't designed for that. It's made to extend and retract an elevated load-The chain in the boom wasn't made to operate at that force and stress. That said, it'll work 'til it don't if you use it like a front end loader. When the boom chain and rollers fail you'll have a problem on your hands.

An operator for the company I worked for broke a chain pushing frozen snow piles back that had been dumped off a hill doing that. He was using the fork carriage only, no bucket, but the snow was hard.

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I won't be doing that. Any idea where to buy parts for old Lull's?
hugs, Brandi

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
You can get them through NAPA. I don't remember the numbers offhand at the moment though.
So NAPA has them. Great. I think they have cross reference charts somewhere. Thanks a bunch. The engine oil and fuel filters, on the machine, are Baldwin with readable numbers. I found them on Amazon. They arrived today.
hugs, Brandi

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Looks like I will be needing bearings for the front left steering knuckle, as it is leaning in at the top of the tire. Any idea where I start looking for them. Is it JLG or Skytrak that bought Lull out?
hugs, Brandi

icestationzebra

Agree with the comments on the gearboxes and boom chains. I've seen a gooseneck bent from pushing snow. Lifting capacity at full reach is only 150lbs so don't expect much with the transaction extended.

According to my info:
hyd oil: ISO 46 (universal tractor oil is ISO 60 which would should be fine in TX)
trans, T12366 CLARK: Citco Transgard was factory fill, 12 quarts
gearbox: SAE 80W-90, 80-90 oz
diff: SAE 80W-90, 13.75 quarts
planetary hub: SAE 80W-90, 34 oz

I believe the axles are SPICER 420S/65 front, 420S/64 rear. If you want to go thru JLG they have online parts manuals.

The other thing I'd recommend with the 644D is to make sure the fuel is full if you intend to park it for a long period. It uses a frame member as the fuel tank and diesel fuel will eventually flow off leaving the steel exposed to air and it can rust. A strong magnet in the bottom of the tank is cheap insurance from plugging the filter.

Lull and Sky Trak were bought by the same investment group back in about 1998, with the combined organization called OmniQuip. This was sold to JLG around 2003. And not long after JLG was bought by Oshkosh. The Lull brand was discontinued several years ago. Rental houses didn't charge more for a transaction machine so they weren't willing to pay more and as we all know fewer and fewer people own their own machines anymore.

ISZ