• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lucas fuel pump problem/question

Dresser D-7G Mike

Ok, appreciate the info. Saved.

Yes, B&D asked me those questions when we spoke, and I told him the altitude, and he wrote that down for the guys to make sure they know it's a high-altitude, no turbo app.

That's the thing, if it shows up here not setup for this altitude, I don't want to have to remove it and send it back to Ca if I don't have to.

Dresser D-7G Mike

Quick update,

The reman pump was sent out today and should be here Thursday. It was 55f here today so the snow is no longer a problem, but it's coming back from Friday on. Not sure if I'll have time to put this one back together or not, but I'm still planning to.

Tomorrow will be 48f or so, so it is nice weather right now and this time of year that is very unusual.

I'm going to read up a bit and see how it goes but if this pump is ok, I may leave it in and keep the reman as my spare.

I now have new injectors, the new lift pump (Cummins), and I have new lines coming too. So, we'll see how the next couple of days go.

Dresser D-7G Mike

I did put it back together today, and it runs the same. No leaks, and I primed according to a good vid I saw and it started the 2nd try.

It has a tiny bit more RPM, but that's it. It still barely moves out of its own way.

I did not do the lines or injectors, just the pump and lift pump. I get the lines tonight, and the reman pump also.

I drove it around a bit, just to see but it's pretty much the same. No power really.

I had to adjust the linkage for the throttle, so Im pretty sure it was outside the arm the whole time.

We are about to get some snow, so I have been working on the tractor all night, and I was able to get it to go forward again, by pulling reverse backwards. That tells me it's linkage, but the guys I usually have here with me were gone today so I had nobody to press the pedals so I could watch it underneath.

That will cover this snow, and buy me some time to take it slow and easy putting the pump on, lines and injectors.

The rubber fuel line from the tank is so old, and I can crush it with so little effort, and
I can't see how it can handle any fuel flow over idle. I did not have a chance to look
the length of it to see if it's collapsing, but it almost has to be. It's the worst I have
ever seen.

I have 10' of new line coming tonight with new SS clamps.

I'll be changing the line tomorrow first, then test again.

It starts, restarts and idles perfectly but won't go over 1/3rd throttle.

I'll update when I change that.

Welder Dave

Is the throttle arm moving to full throttle? Did you get the spring on the right way? It's too vague to just say it won't go above 1/3rd throttle.

Dresser D-7G Mike

The Pumpguy told me a good way to put it back together, so I did what he said and it pivoted perfectly, and made it easy to keep the spring correctly on the throttle arm.

What I'm saying is, I can rotate the throttle from idle to full throttle smoothly and I even adjusted the throttle limit farther to see if that was off, but after about 1/3 throttle, even though the arm moves freely, it does not give any more fuel to the motor.

I have to replace the bad fuel line and then test again. It takes so little force to collapse that line, it very well may be sucking itself closed after 1/3rd throttle.

I have the line now, so depending on the weather, I will be doing that next then trying again.

Dresser D-7G Mike

I changed the fuel line tonight, no difference.

I let some fuel run out the nipple on the tank shutoff valve when I had the line off just to make sure it flowed normally, and it flows just fine.

I do have the pump now, but we are under a winter storm and are getting a lot of snow, so I have been plowing all day and night and plan to setup the dozer to get ready for the pump, injectors and lines when I get a day to do it.