• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LSI Crane Instrumentation

gonzo50

Hey, have any of you guys installed or heard of the wireless LMI systems that are mfg by LSI Loadsystems?
I'm thinking of installing a system on a 1980 Koehring 35 ton mobile truck crane.
It's up there in price, the mfg rep quoted me close to $10,000 with graphic display,angle and length sensors, two loadcells and two A2B sensors since the crane has two winches.
The systems they offer are warranted for a period of two years, it seems like it's not enough!
The part that I like, is that you can expand the system for different sensors that you might want to add in the future.
Also that the whole system could be installed on a future crane without too much modification.

Any input on this system or any other would be appreciated.

Below is a link to this company:
http://www.loadsystems.com/

Thanks

Blmreject

Occupation
mobile crane op IUOE Local 701
I had a wireless LSI setup on a link belt that worked well. It was a little slow to react but it's not slow to the point that it's an issue. The load cell went threw batteries ever month or two. All in all a good setup.

Have you looked into Hershman. I don't know if they make a stand alone/add on system, but they make very good stuff.

heavylift

We had a Link belt also with that system, It was basically in override mode all the time. We had it rented for a couple of months, I don't think it worked more than a week. Mechanic came out a couple of times but couldn't fix it. It also went thru batteries like a kid eating M&M's. They were an odd voltage, but the same size as a D battery.

gonzo50

Thanks for giving me some ideas about other companies like Hirschmann, Cranesmart which offers free batteries, etc.
Lately I've been asking myself, why don't these manufacturer's offer a load cell or pressure transducer for each outrigger?
Wouldn't that be the best way to determine actual LMI moments? By the actual weight on each outrigger while under load?
The more I get involved with crane geometry and physics, the more I worry about doing these side lifts at the edge of the load chart.
I was worried about these side lifts we were doing. We took off the 35 ton main block which weighs about 700 #, worked with a 2 part headache ball, built out the dunnage to 5 ft x 5 ft on the load side outriggers and 4 x 4 on the weak side. Then I had my assistant actually stand on one of the aluminum outrigger plates and feel the plate coming a bit loose from the dunnage. Not lifting off, but definitely a bit loose, right at that threshold.
We were doing 25 ft queen palm trees into the back yard of a residence from the the street, 2500# @ 60-70 ft radius, 35 degrees. Needless to say, the landscaping crew wanted more radius. They always want to take you beyond the scope of the crane and watch you tip over.
It makes it more imperative to find a good LMI system for this 35 ton crane of mine.
Besides they won't certify a crane in these parts without an LMI system.
I need to do more research.
Thanks

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
2500# load seems well within capacities for a 35 ton crane at 60-70' radius (what does load chart say?). why would you need 2 part line to handle 2500#, headache ball should easily handle 4000# even with 9/16 cable. lmi systems definitely add to comfort levels as an operator aid.

heavylift

If you two part the line you are just adding weight to your load, time 2 instead of 1. Plus the the weight is coming off the back end . Though it's not a lot of weight it's still adds up when your nearing the limit.

Blmreject

Occupation
mobile crane op IUOE Local 701
Also, next time you are in a situation like that, don't have your helper stand that close to the out Riggger. If you were to come light and that pad came off the ground he could wind up with a foot or something much worse under it when it comes back down. Crazy unexpected things happen when stuff goes wrong. Hell even when it just gets a little sideways and you have to get yourself out of a bad situation.

I've seen pads land in different spots, carriers swing under the Crane, the whole crane slide across the ground.

I have guys try to get where they can see me and the out rigger box at the same time. The pad is the last thing that will come of the ground. You watch the beam where it comes out of the box it will open up a long time before the pad comes light.

Glad everything went okay. If you just need load weight you could always hang a dyno/scale off the hook. Just have the rigger tell you the weight when the load comes of the ground. Not fancy, but it works really well for not much money.

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
cranesmart systems makes an excellent, trouble free load cell that works with single and multi-part reeving. have tree units in use almost ten years now with no problems. units get about two years out of battery life in load cell. not an lmi with function cut-out but gives you an accurate on hook weight that you can use with your cranes load chart.

Last edited:

gonzo50

This is what I mean about not having the proper instrumentation.
Lifting two railroad cars off wheels onto staging area for semi-trailer and then onto a railroad museum here in San Diego area..
The moving contractor told us that they weighed 24,000 # each..
Lifted one car, no problems, basically did a 20 ft radius from one side of the crane to the other.
Second car they wanted it in a parallel location to the first one, but now crane is working off the rear, halfway between center and rear outrigger, no problem, right!
Well now the radius is changing from 20 ft to 37 ft.
Had I known what the museum director told me later, that it weighed 39,000 # instead of 24,000#, I would not have even attempted this move
As you can see from the photo, it popped a wheelie just as I lowered it to its final spot, lifting off the outrigger about 10 inches..
Scared the bejeevens out of me.
I guess that 's it's getting more imperative that I need to get a good LMI system to correct for all these parameters when people miscalculate about the weight of their lift.
P1000883.JPG
P1000884.JPG
P1000881.JPG

poppin a wheelie.jpg

cecil89

Occupation
the best I can be while I am being paid to do my J
Welcome to the wide wide world of crane rental. Be prepared to meet liars and people that don't know and all such activities. Be careful out there.

td25c

The Koehring did get a little light on the front end gonzo50. Crane & load positioning is what makes or breaks a job. Glad ya got it loaded with no damage or injury. I'm not looking for an LMI system but would like to have just a wireless load cell so I know whats on the hook. Crane looks good gonzo50.

Knepptune

I just installed a hirschman system on one of our cranes. So far we like it. I don't believe you can get a full LMI system from hirschman. The sales guy told me the only difference is the hirschman systems do not have the capability of programing a cranes load chart. It will tell you boom length, angle, radius, and load but you still have to know how to read a load chart. Which is very basic skill.

BTS

LSI is definitely great for after market and on smaller cranes like boom trucks. Rugged and really simple install. May be tougher on some larger machines that have the PAT-Hirschmann systems on them. But then again we've retrofitted a number of older cranes, especially some of the Krupp KMKs with older EKS systems on them and had great success with LSI. You can check out their stuff here: http://www.lsiwireless.com/

gonzo50

The other day we had to do a job that required setting up on a 30 degree street. We set-up the cribbing and blocking as level as possible. The crazy thing was that the front end was off the ground about 4 -5 feet! I was hoping we were not going to slip off the blocking. Finished the job (set two spiral staircases), took everything down with no incident.
Has anybody out there ever had to set-up something as crazy as this? I'm sure someone has, or is this a stupid idea?
P1010518.JPGP1010519.JPGP1010520.JPG .

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
wedge blocks are helpful in these situations. is there no front outrigger on this rig? a little bit more swing towards front you could be in a heap of trouble fast with this setup. why chance it? if anything, blocking under front wheels would provide additional margin. (what we had to do before front jacks on rigs)