• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LS170 starting issues

Hey guys,
new to the site. this is my first useful post. i am here asking for some help regarding my LS170. i was running it as usual and all of a sudden it quit on me. at first i thought i jolted so hard the key turned off bc thats what it sounded and acted like. but when i looked up the key was in the On position. i quickly noticed that there were no dash lights on as usual, if nothing else than the seatbelt light flashing. also, i was getting a continuous beeping. i tried jumpering both the seat switch and the seatbelt switch thinking it could have something to do with it. that was a no-go i think it is an electrical issue but i am not familiar enough with this machine to track down an electrical issue. can some of you seasoned NH mechanics assist?

Machine is a New Holland LS170 2006 rubber tire skid steer

Thanks,
Jason

EDIT: here is a pic of my machine actually the same day i began to have problems:

DSCN0263.JPG

Last edited:

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
If you were at that angle, it could have been the low oil level kill. also be careful with the start proceedure. You have to restart with the right sequence. That is shut the key off, sit in the seat, hook up your belt, turn the key on and start,and observe the failure code.

I have a ls 180 that did the same thing and it was the battery terminal that came off.
on one hand, i hope this is not it as i will feel super stoopid! lol. on the other i hope it is this as this is an easy fix! thanks for the input

If you were at that angle, it could have been the low oil level kill. also be careful with the start proceedure. You have to restart with the right sequence. That is shut the key off, sit in the seat, hook up your belt, turn the key on and start,and observe the failure code.
well i would agree except that i was up and down the embankment all afternoon, i did not stay at that incline for more than 30 seconds, just long enough to get a bucket full.

Thanks for the input guys. i will def check out the batt situation
Jason

cliffg50

ls 170

I have a LS 170 that does the same thing it was the ignition fuse replaced it and now it blows about one a day any suggestions out there?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have a LS 170 that does the same thing it was the ignition fuse replaced it and now it blows about one a day any suggestions out there?

Don't know anything about the LS170, but would the ignition fuse be the fuse that supplies power to the injection pump shut down solenoid? If so, solenoid probably going south, or solenoid relay has poor connections. Just a thought.

stovein

" Originally Posted by cliffg50 View Post
"I have a LS 170 that does the same thing it was the ignition fuse replaced it and now it blows about one a day any suggestions out there?" Is it the ignition fuse in the cab fuse panel or one in the engine bay box? When it is blown will the machine start in the service position?

ok i went out and tried a few things last night. it seems ALL battery connetions are good. i cranked the machine and wiggled all the connections i could find to try and recreate the problem. nothing! i even pulled and check all fuses while the machine is running and got nothing.

does anyone have a schematic of the wiring fuses/relays in the engine bay of the machine? one of the solenoids has a broken post and i need to replace it (although this did not seem to affect the running of the machine)

also, what is the electrical solenoid underneath the coolant filter? is that a temp sensor? one of the prongs is broken off

cliffg50

ls 170

does anyone have a wiring diagram. I disconnected the green and black wire and it stopped blowing fuses, need to know what it controls unit still runs w/o it hooked to acc side of ign. switch. Any ideas? thanks Cliff

stovein

does anyone have a wiring diagram. I disconnected the green and black wire and it stopped blowing fuses, need to know what it controls unit still runs w/o it hooked to acc side of ign. switch. Any ideas? thanks Cliff

What year is your machine? I have a drawing for I believe about year 2000 machine and it shows light green/black from the key switch to accessory relay which feeds wiper and washer on the door and looks like it feeds the lights fuse 15amp also. On the 2000 machine the accessory relay is top left in the engine bay box.

cliffg50

Mine is a 2001 sounds the same. Is there anyway you can fax or send me a copy I'll be glad to pay you for them. Thanks for the info if you can let me know I'll send info. Thanks, Cliff

stovein

Mine is a 2001 sounds the same. Is there anyway you can fax or send me a copy I'll be glad to pay you for them. Thanks for the info if you can let me know I'll send info. Thanks, Cliff

I'll try to resize it here but may not come out legible, I could send it e-mail i think if you have a address to send to. If you post address here use at for @.

UPDATE:
ok so after running the machine a few times i finally tracked down the problem. i was out yesterday doing some site prep work and it kept shutting off on me. i finally got pissed and started hitting the fuse panel and dash. it quickly recovered from shutting down! i removed the dash panel and low and behold a wire was loose on the end of the connector. i had to solder a lead wire from the pin to a butt connector so i can remove the wire later if needed. after plugging in the loose wire and buttoning everything back up she has been golden

-cutts-

Last edited:

jean

that's nice that it was so easy to fix. am replying with nothing to say really its just that in order to post a question i have to reply 3 times to various things first. this is my second.

cliffg50

fixed the starting issue, now it's shutting down and the hydrostactic light comes on it starts back but shut down within seconds. Any help out there?

Cappy29

On this unit, the likely cause of that light to flash is the sending unit failure. you can usually see a visible leak from the sensor, but not always. The sensor is located right beside the hydraulic oil filter housing at the back right corner. Lift and lock the booms in the raised position and open the rear door, lift the top screen and remove the right side panel. The sensor can be disconnected to see if the light stops coming on, however if the sensor is working and there is a actual problem with the pump you are removing that safety. The sensor is not that costly so that would be the first place to check.

curtiswendling

I have an 2004 ls180. It was working fine and i shut it down for the night. The next morning i went to start it and it wouldn't start. I turned the toggle switch to bypass the safety switch and it started but will not run when you turn the toggle back to the run position. The display is completely blank and when you turn the key on it makes a beeping sound that never stops. I have checked the seat belt switch and the seat switch and they are working fine. I also checked the fuses in both compartments. they are all fine. I don't have access to a wiring diagram. I was wondering what I could check to figure out where i am loosing power, or what should i do next?

Cappy29

There are a few quick things to check first. 1. Make sure the service/run switch is in the run position. Key off. Now get in the machine. does the machine beep and does the display light up? If so, the wire from the seat to cluster is ok. If not then check the seat switch connector. one of the two wires may be broken. 2. If dash lights up in step 1. connect your seat belt. The seat belt light should go out. If that goes out and it still won't crank over, let me know and we can go further. If it does not go out than there is a problem between your seat switch to the belt switch or up to the dash. Good luck. Cheers.

KennyDtrajan

Hello all. First post here. I have a problem similar to curtis. I do have a service manual and schematics detailed in it for my NH LS190. EIC engages when I sit in the seat, seat belt goes off when I latch my belt. Turn the key to run, beeps and warming countdown runs. I turn the key to start, I hear the starter relay click and then nothing. The EIC goes blank until I turn the key back to stop. When this started, it seemed like the batteries were dead as it moaned and groaned trying to start...then got slower and slower until it just clicked repeatedly, but the EIC stayed lit up. Now its just one click and all goes blank. I read good voltage on both batteries (12.6V+/-) as well at the key switch. I did notice that when I turn the key to start and all goes blank, there is no longer voltage at the switch (actually 0.5V). I've checked all fuses with ohm meter. Any ideas? I'm thinking starter issue, but really I don't have a clue at this point and I need this thing running on Tuesday. On a side note, I repaired 5 broken grounds on the bell,housing and thought this was for sure my issue. It wasn't, but I am curious as to how they were broken. Definitely smashed, but between the bell housing and hydro oil tank? its plastic and 4" away????

stovein

when the starter interlock relay on my lx665 was bad it acted very similar, I could however start it in service without the belt buckled then switch to run and buckle the belt and use it but that was the only way. I have read of a diode in the engine bay fuse box on the newer ones that causes problems though.