• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LS170 Skidsteer electrical Problem

Southerner

I have a 1999 LS170 skid steer. I was working and got the 5 beep alarm and then after 30 seconds it killed and now it does nothing when I turn the ignition key. I had a similar thing happen when the high pressure sensor failed. It would sound alarm and then kill but I could restart. After I changed sensor, it was OK. Now, I have checked all fuses both in cab and in engine compartment. Battery and all fuses OK. When I sit in the seat, all lights come on as they should. When I buckle seat belt, only light remaining on is parking brake. When I turn ignition key I get absolutely nothing, not even the usual beeps before starter turns over. If I go through Electronics, all indicate the correct, hours and temperature but battery voltage shows 0.
Any ideas what to check next?

stovein

do you have service/run switch? if so will it start in service? If, it is similar to my lx665 in the engine bay fuse box there is a start relay and a starter interlock relay. I had similar problem and it was the starter interlock relay. However I could start it if I repeatedly tried the ignition key it would finally kick in. do you have the books for it?

Southerner

It does have a service switch. Same results in either position. When I turn switch, I get nothing, not even a click. I do have an operators manual and the troubleshooting told me to run through fuse check, seat sensor and seat belt lock and those all seem fine.

stovein

I looked at Messick's site at ls170 wiring and it is very different from the lx665. the service switch bypasses most eic functions so drop it and make sure power is getting that far. There are diodes shown in the diagrams but that depends on whether you have the deluxe cab too. sorry no help here, just have to chase the power with a test light to see where it stops. On the chance yours looks like mine this is what helped me" With the key on and the run service switch in the run position, seat belt bucked or jumped, seat switch closed and the key in the on position, the orange/white wire on the interlock relay should be energized with juice from the seat belt/seat switch circuit. With the key in the start position, the white/lt green wire on the interlock relay should be energized with juice coming from the post on the service/run switch. If these conditions are met, juice should flow across the interlock relay to the start relay via the white/Drk Blue wire, then to the starter solenoid via the red/white wire, to the EIC pin 10 via the white wire (not via the interlock relay) and the starter should kick. Power should also flow from the light blu/Orange wire to the fuel solenoid on the injection pump. " good luck