• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lowboy questions

chidog

What makes of lowboys can be lifted if needed, to avoid high centering on a side road that goes down hill, or for that matter any obstacle that may show up on a delivery? And how high can they go to clear said obstacle?

heymccall

Both my Rogers and Aspen 50ton trailers have both a rear suspension override (approx 3 inches) and goose neck attach shim set (also approx 3 inches). My Rogers was a straight deck, so, pretty much 6 inches overall. Both my Aspens have a curved main deck, and, when front and rear are in override, the center can be almost 12inches, IIRC.
There are trailers that will raise higher, but, we have no need.

chidog

Would logging out fits be better equipped with high lifting lowboys? To get an 80k machine where I would like it may need up to 24 inches lift, if it was only a 30 foot long trailer then all would be good with the crown in the road coming in. Is there a good way to check? Maybe tape measure and a helper

terex herder

I think my hydraulic lay down neck could give you that much clearance. Start to lay down the neck while still on the 5th wheel. I'll have to try it next time I hook it up.

skyking1

You can haul a decent sized dozer behind a dump truck on 3 axle. We moved the 325 excavator all over in Mount Rainier national park with a setup like that. It has a pony motor an slides back and tilts for loading.
maxresdefault.jpg

suladas

That's sure a flashy trailer. The front of that tongue looks light, seems so odd why they'd make it taper like that. The sliding axles seem like overkill and a lot of hassle. My 25 ton tag is a tilt deck with beavertail and ramps, you could load anything you wanted on it because the angle is so low. For pavers etc and things that need even more, they make a version with double flip ramps.

Truck Shop

In comparison it's a strong or stronger than the pulling eye. The eye diameter is puny compared to the tongue.

361brock

Occupation
retired
My 40T Talbert RGN raises 22" where neck connects to bed. Has 4' beaver tail that comes within inches of ground when neck is raised with hydraulics. Not advisable to ride on the hydraulics and off the stops, but I have done it slowly for short distances on uneven terrain.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
An 8H would be around 42 tons. The K with the weights under the radiator will be around 43.5 tons. A tad heavy ……

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I used to have a Dynaweld 50 ton tri-axle NGB lowboy trailer that would allow 5 different ride height positions plus a high lift to get over railroads and other obstacles when required. When fully lifted, I was able to walk under the neck by barely ducking down and I'm 6'1". I would guess that the lead part of the trailer section would have lifted up between 36"-48" or so at the maximum high lift position.

I purchased it new in 2002 but sold it after my divorce when I realized how little I was using the tractor - lowboy combo in my business at the time. Dynaweld has been out of business since the early 2000's. It was a great trailer although I rarely used that lift feature unless absolutely required. Most all of my moves were at the middle ride setting.

I did add an electric lift valve to the 3rd trailer axle to pick up the tail axle while in the truck. That certainly made maneuvering easier. Mostly it was for moving the PC200 but I did make a few moves with the PR751 at 44 tons. Oncoming traffic never paid attention to the 10'6" wide hoe but when that 13'6" blade and dozer was on the trailer, they would jump off the sides of the road for me without hesitation!

Old Doug

I didnt know Dynaweld had went out. Were i work in the 90s they were a dealer for them and we used them. For the most part they were good trailers but they also had to rebuild some trailers. One was ordered with air ride they hadnt built one like it with air ride. The back half was put on at the wrong angle you didnt have to know much to tell it wouldnt work so it was to be sent back but before we sent it back we load tested it. It was a 50t but before we could get 50t set on it the frame at the end of the deck bent sideways. I was looking at a new trailer some one had welded something close to a spring and arked on the spring it cracked . Then were nice trailers but sometimes i think QA was asleep .

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
The story that I had heard was that the owner passed away and the family or state sold off the assets to settle the estate. I had also heard that the remains of the company were picked back up a couple years later and restarted, possibly under a different name. I really liked the one I had as it was much easier to couple in less than ideal conditions than many others that I had watched work. And the Bridgestone tires that came stock were the worst pieces of dung that had ever been produced. 10 of 12 blew out on me after 4 years.

AzIron

Dynawelds were nice trailers for the price and they used pretty good steal a couple guys here have them and they age well

Old Doug

if your talking about detaching the neck your trailer must have been alot diffrent than the ones we had. I never saw any thing so hard to work with. We had 4 trailers that were shop built or had factory necks on shop builds they were ok but the Dynawelds they were ruff. After the first time on the first trailer we made sure we were on a level spot and the the truck could be drove strait ahead and strait back but this didnt help alot. The trailers we used were demos to be sold. I dont know if they were new designs or what. They had Honda engines i had owned several Honda motorcycles they were very good but this was my first time with a Honda engine i dont know if it was because they were new or the ruff ride they took or they didnt get run much but they were very hard to start we made sure we had extra sparkplugs.