• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Low power and lots of smoke(complete overhaul)D6H

Clyde65

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Maint. Mgr.
It sounds like a fuel pump problem, maybe timing advance. I have seen it happen on Cat 3406B. You have a 3306 but all have timing advance.

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Construct`o .....I quoted your last response and checked the injection nozzles.They checked okay ,but he put in new anyway.

Question how did he check them? They are mechnical not electronic from what I'm gathering...... its older right?

So did he pump them up with a injector tester? ( looks kinda like a hydralic lil jack but it pumps fuel to injectors and gauge to see pressures opening nozzle and injector screws into a metal line and sits downward to watch the spray pattern or fogging )

Did he just look at the nozzle tips and say they are clean??

I would worry there big time. Did he check nozzle seats??? Are they brass or not?? They can get damaged very easy installing or seat can be bad. And why replace them if he saw nothing wrong.

Easiest way I've found to check (takes 2 people one cranking and one watching) is pull exhaust manifold, make sure turbo can't suck anything in it and crank it up and you will see a cylinder leak. Fuel out of the port, most of the time its real wet, like fastttttt. adds the black smoke you see and lost of power because its loading up that cylinder. turbo is

I'm not a mech that replaces things that I know are in good working condition. I've seen this problems in alot of cummins. They blow black smoke, power sucks and were just rebuilt with new injectors from cummins recon.......

LonestarCobra

It sounds like a fuel pump problem, maybe timing advance. I have seen it happen on Cat 3406B. You have a 3306 but all have timing advance.

Timing will affect performance, but not all 3306's have a timing advance. In fact, most I have worked on did not have one.

JDR62

Just put a reman head w/ 6 brand new nozzles on a 3306 PC, 2 of the 6 nozzles went bad after 1 hr. Low power, lots of black smoke

Clyde65

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Maint. Mgr.
All injection pumps have some sort of advance in them only if it is only a few degrees. Im not really a good typer so I wont get into a long explaination. I had a Deutz last year I had a outside repair company remove and reinstall the injection pump. When is was installed it was drip timed and put back together when it started it was smoking black something it has never done and lasted about 15 min. and cooked. When they eebuilt the engine at their expense and re started it they found out it was 12 degrees adv. I guess in an air cooled engine that was enough to melt it down. After the timing was set properly with a pulse pick up and a timing light it ran fine and no more black smoke.

LonestarCobra

All injection pumps have some sort of advance in them only if it is only a few degrees. Im not really a good typer so I wont get into a long explaination. I had a Deutz last year I had a outside repair company remove and reinstall the injection pump. When is was installed it was drip timed and put back together when it started it was smoking black something it has never done and lasted about 15 min. and cooked. When they eebuilt the engine at their expense and re started it they found out it was 12 degrees adv. I guess in an air cooled engine that was enough to melt it down. After the timing was set properly with a pulse pick up and a timing light it ran fine and no more black smoke.

I understand that they all have some advance built into them. I may have misunderstood you, I assumed you were referring to a varible mechanical advance that some 3306 engines have. It is very easy to get the timing off a few degrees on a 3306 if you dont watch it closely when you tighten up the bolt.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Done Deal Fixed !!!!!

First off thanks guys for all the help and posts !!!!!

They finally took the injection pump off and sent it to the shop.It was gone for 4 days.Returned Firday and installed and tested.I put it too the test after the mechanic had finished up and we talked.

I took it for a spin.Very good response(snappy),power and lots less black smoke,with less RPM's. Almost like day and night.

Mechanic never really said what all was done,but did point out a couple things.The main thing was that he had a couple washer and a small washer with little roller bearing in it, that showed wear to me.

He didn't say they was mine ,but was for show and tell more or less.He said you see it in pumps with high hours 9K or more.

Not sure if everyone will understand,not sure i do ,but this is how he explained it to me the first washer, and bearing washer is close to the governor and the last washer pushes against the rack.The last washer had small deep pits on the face where it run against the rack.Which doesn't rotate or move to good when it opens the rack.

There was more details,but not sure i'm getting everything right.

Just funny he had those parts to show me ,for mine not having the problem.I have my thought,but the main thing it is fixed.

Just a shame it took all this time to get something done.I will take some of the blame(lack of commucation sooner) ,but i think also something wasn't done right to start with(pump).I will at least give the dealer credit that they did come across with the fix:cool2.

With the last post i was really beginning to wonder if it was all in my head:beatsme,with nothing showing up.

So with that said........ the last thing worked on was the injection pump so i'm blaming it on that :mad: Sooooooooooo ! with that, we can send this thread to the cemetery:drinkup Thanks again everyone:notworthy:usa

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It's been a heck of a ride, I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'm glad you got it fixed, even if the mechanic with the washer's was in CYA mode. :D Ahh yes, the old injection pump that wasn't fixed right the first time. I'm glad you pressed them until they got it right. ;)

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Glad you got the machine fixed, it has been interesting and very informative to read. Its a good example of the benefits of HEF a very good support system.

mikesmble

Being a heavy equipment mech, and from what you have told us I would have the dealer that did the pump go through it again, sounds like they did not get the settings right.

swampdog

So with that said........ the last thing worked on was the injection pump so i'm blaming it on that :mad: Sooooooooooo ! with that, we can send this thread to the cemetery:drinkup Thanks again everyone:notworthy:usa

Isn't it funny that, no matter what the mechanical problem, the problem always lies with the last thing that one looks at?:confused: Now, if one could only turn that order around . . .;)

Glad to hear that it's running well again.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Isn't it funny that, no matter what the mechanical problem, the problem always lies with the last thing that one looks at?:confused: Now, if one could only turn that order around . . .;)

Glad to hear that it's running well again.

That's just not the way it works! I think it's one of those "Murphy's Laws" things. You know, like, "every tool dropped will fall to the exact center beneath the vehicle being worked on". :D

td25c

Dog gone it.I allmost had the adapter plate made for a new cummins motor for the cat dozer.Sometimes the simple problems are the hardest to fix.Thats good news Construct'O.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Dog gone it.I allmost had the adapter plate made for a new cummins motor for the cat dozer.Sometimes the simple problems are the hardest to fix.Thats good news Construct'O.

Now THAT would have made some eye's pop out! :D

archie

d6h

thinking of buying a d6h 93 with 3500 hrs. its missing torque converter and lift cylinders. whats the deal poor engine performance must be the torque converter? any one know where i can get this stuff? $?