• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Low coolant temp?

Johndeere120

My backhoe never really had great heat but I was always so busy and like the cold anyway so never looked into it. After finally messing with the menu options last week on my JD 310 I found out there a spot that shows the actual coolant temp. It only it's 140-150 when working. Changed the thermostat yesterday and didn't change a thing. I don't believe the fan on those things have a clutch it runs locked with the speed of the belt continuously I seen other backhoes like that so does anyone know what else would cause this? I know some engines run cool but i can't see it supposed to be running this cool. I thought about blocking half the radiator like on a semi in the winter but I thought maybe then the hydraulic cooler wouldn't get enough air to it? Any thoughts? I'd like to fix it I feel like it's accelerating wear? Luckily i havnt used it much but not I have a ton of work for it

Johndeere120

I thought about that but considering the heat hardly works It's probably right even the fan blowing the air from the radiator is hardly warm. I may still do that but it's definitely not running hot enough I don't know what could be causing this

Diesel Dave

You have a machine serial number ?
I suspect you’re not working the engine hard enough.
In cool ambient temperatures you should be able to get away with blocking off some of the air flow to the rad ,the only things in front of the rad are the fuel cooler and the A/C condenser.

Johndeere120

There's no hydraulic cooler? I mean a couple months ago during the cold I was digging with it for about 6 or 7 hours and it did have decent heat but that was before I found out how to check the coolant with the digital readout so I guess it does heat up somewhat working it hard but even jist bucketing material for an hour or 2 it doesn't get very warm I feel like something is wrong. Or is that just how these backhoes were made? I have an older kubota and that thing will only get warm if it's under at least 50% load continuously so idk. I'm jist concerned running it at 150 is causing damage to the cylinder walls and probably not lubricating the bearings as good either

Johndeere120

I can get the serial number if it makes a difference but it's on a job right now won't be back there until later or tomorrow maybe

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Cool operating temps lead to incomplete combustion. That will cause your rings to wear, valve seals will harden and weep. You'll eventually replace an unneeded turbo thinking that's where the "oil" is coming from. And it only gets worse with lower ambient temps. Coolant temps are more important than people think.

Johndeere120

Yeah you're right and that's why I want to fix this now. If it's a new thermostat and the coolant is in a closed loop how is this even possible? Unless I'm wrong about the fan and there is a clutch but even then if it's in a closed loop I wouldn't think that would matter?

Diesel Dave

There's no hydraulic cooler? I mean a couple months ago during the cold I was digging with it for about 6 or 7 hours and it did have decent heat but that was before I found out how to check the coolant with the digital readout so I guess it does heat up somewhat working it hard but even jist bucketing material for an hour or 2 it doesn't get very warm I feel like something is wrong. Or is that just how these backhoes were made? I have an older kubota and that thing will only get warm if it's under at least 50% load continuously so idk. I'm jist concerned running it at 150 is causing damage to the cylinder walls and probably not lubricating the bearings as good either
The aftercooler , transmission cooler and hydraulic cooler are all remote , meaning not in front of the rad.

Johndeere120

Oh really? I didn't know that. How do they cool then without any wind? If that's true then I can just block some of the radiator

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I can't speak for Deere specifically, but Volvo places restrictions in the radiator and cylinder head vent hoses. If someone changed the hoses without putting them back, it will cause an inability to reach temp.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Need to verify temp with the infared lazer blaster like Vetech suggested. Although the machine may not be working hard enough to get hot, could just be bad sender. Need to check. Also need to make sure that fan can free wheel and isn't locked up.

Johndeere120

I went there today and the fan was locking I couldn't spin it. I didn't see a clutch? Does anyone know if that's normal on this series

Johndeere120

Okay so fan is okay then. I'll order a temperature scanner but I'm at a loss for words here what else it can be then. I know diesels run cool when sitting but once they're up to temperature it really shouldn't come down at least when it's 70 out here

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well again, I can't speak to the nuances of Deere. What kind of thermostat does it have? Piston or disc? Unclear on what has actually been done. If it has a piston thermostat, and the inner seal is damaged or missing, you'll never reach temp.

Johndeere120

I believe it's a piston style. I bought a brand new one from deere ready to drop in and didn't change a thing. I'm going to block half the grill tomorrow I have to use it for probably 4 or 5 hours and see how that works. Maybe there is supposed to be the inner seal like you say and it wasn't there? I can pull it back out and check it was very easy to change but I don't know. Kinda driving me nuts on something so simple.