• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Low bridges

Colin Doy

Probably not too many bridges in North America this low but you have to be aware of your surroundings wherever you are.

oopslorrybridgeLarge.jpg

:eek:

Ray Welsh

Banned
Probably not too many bridges in North America this low but you have to be aware of your surroundings wherever you are.

oopslorrybridgeLarge.jpg

:eek:

I wonder why the boom-lift was left so high. Most heavy haulage drivers I know continually observe low hanging power lines etc., even on their days off.
Low bridges are mainly known and the information is shared with strangers to the area via UHF two-way radio. Safety means helping your mates...C ya.....Ray

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Hiab

That looks suspiciously like its in the UK. Cant see the number plate to be 100% sure, but I suspect.:Banghead
There are 3 flatbed rail trailers on the truck as towed by railroaders. Each has a set of short four leg chains in a recessed area about 3ft sq in the middle of the trailer for lifting on/off rail and trucks. As the driver was only going a short distance ;) and he was running a bit late due to traffic ;) he saved himself 4 minutes ( two minutes each end ) by not climbing up and unhooking the hiab from the chain. This also saved him another 5 mins ( 2.5 each end ) in folding away the hiab and unfolding again. :D There is also the added Health and Safety benefit to be taken in to account, as in not having to climb up on the lorry and down again twice, the driver eliminated the risk of falling off and hurting himself. :cool2 :D
I was wondering can this be linked to the accident competion as there are a few lessons to be learnt here.:rolleyes:

Colin Doy

Health and safety seems to be paramount in the UK, I guess they can't remove the human element though.:beatsme

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Yeah Colin, you should move to Connecticut...in the past year we've had a crane hit a bridge on the interstate and a roll-off guy had the dumster loading rail in the raised position and hit the overpass. I think there was also an incident with an excavator.

chico

Occupation
owner operator
There are a couple of low train track bridges in Boston, have to be on alert where you go around here.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
thanks

Hi ZAXIS, thanks that is the missing picture! I have seen the next in the sequence, from the otherside after the lowboy had been backed up a little and the tractor unit pulled off. I suspected from the damage under the bridge that the tracks had impacted like that but had never seen the proof :drinkup

In another thread somebody askes about Hyundai excavators and I was going to post the other pics and vouch for thier strength. A man could loose a lot of beer placing bets on the outcome of that scenario :cool2

Last edited:

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
That lowboy had to have been haulin-a**!! I've seen then wedged under an over-pass but not flipped up like that. :eek: What shape is the truck in? :confused:

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
I'm not sure, but I hope he was wearing his seatbelt-or he might look like a jack-o-lantern nowadays. ZAXIS

ASPHALT04

Occupation
If he was wearing a belt......I bet there are some broken body parts there; and if he wasn't he's probably got some road-rash from hell!!

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Oh well

That lowboy had to have been haulin-a**!! I've seen then wedged under an over-pass but not flipped up like that. :eek: What shape is the truck in? :confused:

:eek:ops Wrote the following, then searched for the pics, and realise its NOT the same machine. One has a breaker on the other has a bucket.
A well still good pics, enjoy :drinkup
The email went around the engineers on the site I was on at the time asking if any of them could calculate the velocity requirement of a 30t long reach excavator, in order to cut a reinforced concrete bridge in half !!!!!
I heard the story but didn't believe it till I saw it.
Web hyjack, kindly provides for your amazement.

Attachments

• Copy of Hall Street I-70 Bridge 005.jpg
    Copy of Hall Street I-70 Bridge 005.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Hall Street I-70 Bridge 001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,003
  • hall_st_bridge_i-70_2-14-06_lr.jpg
    hall_st_bridge_i-70_2-14-06_lr.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,971

ZAXIS

Occupation
AtlasRob, I just found the same pictures on Flickr and was going to forward them to you-much more dramatic and better picture quality! Thanks, ZAXIS

ASPHALT04

Occupation
WOW!!!! I'm speachless. Probably find an add in the classified the following week for well used lowboy.........cheap!

ZAXIS

Occupation
If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is!! ZAXIS