• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Low back pain

Welder Dave

The Dr's. think my back pain may be more from my kidneys and drinking more fluids like Gatorade or tonic water will help. Yesterday morning was about the worst my back has ached. I won't say pain because nothing compares to before I was diagnosed and had compression fractures in my vertebrae. My hips all around my back was like it was in knots. I'm laying in bed not wanting to move because that could make it worse. Thankfully it got better after I got out of bed. I'm not usually very thirsty and find it difficult to drink the large amounts my Dr. wants. My appetite varies quite a bit too. Some days I can barely eat anything and have real trouble swallowing, other days my appetite is almost normal. I think it's just part of the recovery process but gets really frustrating sometimes.

JD955SC

The Dr's. think my back pain may be more from my kidneys and drinking more fluids like Gatorade or tonic water will help. Yesterday morning was about the worst my back has ached. I won't say pain because nothing compares to before I was diagnosed and had compression fractures in my vertebrae. My hips all around my back was like it was in knots. I'm laying in bed not wanting to move because that could make it worse. Thankfully it got better after I got out of bed. I'm not usually very thirsty and find it difficult to drink the large amounts my Dr. wants. My appetite varies quite a bit too. Some days I can barely eat anything and have real trouble swallowing, other days my appetite is almost normal. I think it's just part of the recovery process but gets really frustrating sometimes.

try cranberry juice

if you can drink beer it’s good for kidney function as well

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I’ve been fighting my pain after 2 surgeries.. I go to a “pill mill” every other month where they take 75.00 from me, take my weight and a 2 minute “exam” that consists of, on a scale from 1 to 10, how’s your pain..and I walk out with a fist full of prescriptions that , if I wanted to, could trade for a new truck.!!
I finally got fed up with that nonsense and demanded something b done..
They scheduled me for a nerve oblasion.. basically burn the nerves.. that was 6 months ago and I’m doing good !!

Truck Shop

Biggest problem is finding the correct neurologist, one that takes you and problem serious. Second biggest
is getting insurance company to stop playing a game. In many cases the damage is furthered by jumping
through all the hoops before they will agree surgery is necessary. But if one has a doctor that has guts he
can cut through insurance barriers by taking a case before state insurance board.

Legdoc

There are many causes of back pain which may include but not be limited to kidney stones, gall stones, bone issues, neurological causes, muscular, neuromuscular and possible combinations of any of these. Generally the first stop should be a caring, qualified, compassionate GP who will do a thorough physical examination, possibly some labs and some good lumbar X-rays. Based on the results possibly additional diagnostic studies. Formulate a plan that the individual agrees with. Despite increased definition of imaging and many other diagnostics it still requires the expertise of an individual. Unfortunately today's health care is controlled by insurance companies and physicians could be employed by the insurance company or a managed care organization(MCO). Their main goal is to ration care and provide returns for their investors. Todays medical patient needs to try to educate themselves to the best of their ability rather than just trust the health care system to take care of them.
Just an example: 25 years ago returning to my home town my wife had gall stones (symptoms were immediate onset of excruciating back pain while sleeping). About 4 hours after the laparoscopic procedure I was in her room wearing street clothes. A young nurse walked into her room with a syringe and attempted to give her an injection. I ask the nurse what it was and what it was for. She replied "it's for her headache" I ask my wife if she had a headache she said no. I ask the nurse to hold the injection and she insisted she give it. A mild argument ensued and left the room quite mad. About 30 minutes later another nurse came in and I inquired about the incident and the injection. She told us "it was for someone in another room". Always ask questions my friends. By the way, the syringe was loaded with Demerol. My wife is allergic to Demerol.

Welder Dave

You do have to really pay attention to what's going on. When I was in the hospital (not the cancer institute) I was supposed to be woken up (if I was sleeping) and given a shot of the pain med. Hydromorphone (synthetic morphine about 8 times stronger than morphine) every 2 hours. I got one shot at about 10pm and another shot about 12pm. Nothing else all night long. I was in such pain I couldn't move and couldn't reach the call button that was behind me on the opposite side of the bed. I was curled up in the fetal position as that seemed to not cause even more pain. My partner came to see me in the morning and I told her I never got my meds despite it being clearly written on my chart to give the shot every 2 hours regardless if I was sleeping or not. Not known to me at the time, she went to the charge nurse to see what's going on. My partner has worked in healthcare for 40 years so knows exactly what's going on. At first the charge nurse said they were short staffed so my partner asked a few pertinent questions to which the charge nurse admitted it wasn't a staffing problem and they had the full compliment of nurses on duty that night. When the nurse in question was asked why she didn't give my shots, she said she looked in the door and it appeared I was sleeping. She did not check on me at all. When asked why I wasn't given the shots, despite it clearly being written on my chart to give them, she had basically the same answer that I appeared to be sleeping (and she was lazy). I was crying in pain and couldn't really talk or yell out for help.
I'm so glad my partner came and made a complaint. She said not giving my meds was abuse! The nurse was given a 2 day suspension without pay. I didn't know about the suspension until after I came out of the hospital. My partner didn't tell me because she didn't want me to say anything to anyone.

Last edited:

Legdoc

You do have to really pay attention to what's going on. When I was in the hospital (not the cancer institute) I was supposed to be woken up (if I was sleeping) and given a shot of the pain med. Hydromorphone (synthetic morphine about 8 times stronger than morphine) every 2 hours. I got one shot at about 10pm and another shot about 12pm. Nothing else all night long. I was in such pain I couldn't move and couldn't reach the call button that was behind me on the opposite side of the bed. I was curled up in the fetal position as that seemed to not cause even more pain. My partner came to see me in the morning and I told her I never got my meds despite it being clearly written on my chart to give the shot every 2 hours regardless if I was sleeping or not. Not known to me at the time, she went to the charge nurse to see what's going on. My partner has worked in healthcare for 40 years so knows exactly what's going on. At first the charge nurse said they were short staffed so my partner asked a few pertinent questions to which the charge nurse admitted it wasn't a staffing problem and they had the full compliment of nurses on duty that night. When the nurse in question was asked why she didn't give my shots, she said she looked in the door and it appeared I was sleeping. She did not check on me at all. When asked why I wasn't given the shots, despite it clearly being written on my chart to give them, she had basically the same answer that I appeared to be sleeping (and she was lazy). I was crying in pain and couldn't really talk or yell out for help.
I'm so glad my partner came and made a complaint. She said not giving my meds was abuse! The nurse was given a 2 day suspension without pay. I didn't know about the suspension until after I came out of the hospital. My partner didn't tell me because she didn't want me to say anything to anyone.
Not only abuse but neglect. The orders should have been followed to the letter. Nursing board should have been notified. I would suspect it was not a isolated case. Demonstrates character and lack of dedication to patient care. Also anytime narcotics are withheld one must suspect the individual is keeping it. The new Rx dispensing systems if managed properly can eliminate theft of product unless the patient did not receive it.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
That’s probably because whatever you were supposed to be getting for pain she was either using herself or selling lol.
When I had my laminectomy after the surgery I was in so much pain I was curled in a fetal position as you were and was told to straighten out and I was crying in pain and couldn’t.
Then they had to call another doctor as it was night time to finally prescribe me some dilauded so I could move a little.
I realize the prescription offenders but to keep me in that much pain because of other peoples carelessness and addictions is overwhelming.
I hope to not have my lower back fused just because of the terrible pain in the aftermath of surgery lol.
Had to have T12 to L 3 rodded but am now experiencing surgical arthritis and lower back just keeps getting worse according to my most recent MRI.
Fell off a ladder and blew a disc in my spinal cord and had temporary paralysis from my stomach down lol

Welder Dave

I think the nurse was just being lazy. Dilauded is a brand of Hydromorphone. I was taking 2 12mg long acting twice a day and getting 2mg fast acting booster shots of it every 2 hours. I might have messed up the times. If I recall I should have had about 12 shots in total and only got 2. It's hard to think about how much pain I was in.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When mine went south was fall from a truck[Deja Vu} blew out L5 to Sacrum and could not feel waste down for couple weeks due to swelling. Put me in Traction NO SURGERY, until could feel feet then off to rehab and back to shop. Had me on Morphine for close to month and half, weened me off that to Demerol where that stopped working at 5mg stepped to 10 then 15 then 25 and I told Doc, no more. Body had built natural resistance to any form of opioid even the synthetics. 2015 had lower back surgery, helped for awhile but too old and the development of Stenosis has made its presence known.