• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lost a relief valve spring, now what?

HardmanGT

I have the valve body apart on my Ford 4500 backhoe to polish out a bur in the relief circuit that keeps taking out o rings. There is a spring that I must have misplaced and cannot find. Did a search online and came up with a part number but it seems to be discontinued. The superseded numbers are for a full relief valve and a ton of $. Can you guys give me some ideas on how to find a replacement?

New Holland part #7707921

Relief Valve.jpg

HardmanGT

I have a call into the dealer and it looks like they also show the spring as discontinued and supersedes to the whole valve. They are going to try some other resources on Monday for me.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have a call into the dealer and it looks like they also show the spring as discontinued and supersedes to the whole valve. They are going to try some other resources on Monday for me.

Can you get any kind of spec's on the spring like free length, pounds pressure at "x" inches, wire diameter, ID, OD?
Cat has "similar parts lists" where it may be possible to find something that will work.

HardmanGT

Can you get any kind of spec's on the spring like free length, pounds pressure at "x" inches, wire diameter, ID, OD?
Cat has "similar parts lists" where it may be possible to find something that will work.

I am not aware of the specs for the spring. Sometimes the parts list will have sizes in the description but that is not the case for this. Maybe I can pull apart another valve since it shows as the same spring in 5 locations. Not sure why I didn't think of that before :confused:

kshansen

Occupation
I am not aware of the specs for the spring. Sometimes the parts list will have sizes in the description but that is not the case for this. Maybe I can pull apart another valve since it shows as the same spring in 5 locations. Not sure why I didn't think of that before :confused:

Just don't loose another one!:tong

If you can get some good dimensions of one either post here or Private Message to me and I'll see if I can find something close.

Not sure from the picture if the spring is very critical in the operation of the valve. Valve is adjustable so maybe if we can find one close it will put you within the adjustment range of the valve.

HardmanGT

I pulled another relief apart that is supposed to have the same spring in it. Here are the dimensions I measured

Length 0.845"
Outside Diameter 0.285"
Wire Diameter 0.015"

These should be pretty accurate measurements but could have some margin of error.

kshansen

Occupation
Waiting on Cat to do an upgrade on their systems, say they should be back online after 8:00AM Central time

kshansen

Occupation
I pulled another relief apart that is supposed to have the same spring in it. Here are the dimensions I measured

Length 0.845"
Outside Diameter 0.285"
Wire Diameter 0.015"

These should be pretty accurate measurements but could have some margin of error.

Converting to metric, that's how Cat lists them:
Length=21.46mm
OD=7.24mm
Wire Diameter=0.381mm

Here is what I get from Cat doing a search on wire diameters of 0.3 to 0.4mm

Cat Springs.png

Not sure if any are close enough, if too long might be able to shorten to work. Also not sure how exact the ID or OD need to be to fit in your valve.

Last edited:

Check Break

Length 0.845"
Outside Diameter 0.285"
Wire Diameter 0.015"

Ford used a lot of Gresen valves, now owned by Parker. If you don't find something at CAT, you might give Parker Tech Support a call and ask them for help.

HardmanGT

Made a few phone calls on Monday and Messick's was able to locate the spring and the whole valve assembly from an obsolete warehouse. There was a bur in the original sleeve that was tearing up the new orings. This sleeve was included in the new valve so I bought it. Parts arrived quickly so its all back together now and works better than ever!

kshansen

Occupation
Made a few phone calls on Monday and Messick's was able to locate the spring and the whole valve assembly from an obsolete warehouse. There was a bur in the original sleeve that was tearing up the new orings. This sleeve was included in the new valve so I bought it. Parts arrived quickly so its all back together now and works better than ever!

Glad to hear it.:drinkup