• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking to purchase TLB for 30 acre hillside homestead in NY

AzIron

Most backhoes were 2 wheel drive till the 90s meaning most guys didn't want to pay for 4 wheel drive

In first gear in any backhoe I have ran has enough power to spin out

A 710 is not really an oddball but they are few and far between compared to 310s and a 710 is a powershift lots of moving parts

Don't get hung up on horse power in a backhoe it doesn't always relate to power to the ground 310s were not over 90 horse until the late 90s early 2000s and even some of the newest machines are under 80 horse

A 310 580 or a 416b series will do fine stay away from cat 416 series 1 and 2 machines cat didn't have a good backhoe till the b series

Don't be a fraid of hours I have seen cat case or deere with upwar dad s of 15000 hours with out any real problems if maintained

HankTO

I would like to add when looking at a machine make sure it has a working block heater. This is usually a common accessory but I have seen machines without.I have an ether system installed on mine but I dont use it unless absolutely necessary. I plug in the block heater and even down in the teens after about an hour it'll fire right up. When you get your machine remeber grease is your friend keep your tank full and use a good additive. I use Fuel Ox. A good friend of mine who owns a construction company (heavy earth moving no residential work) and keeps his equipment in showroom condition recomended it (pricey).

ofenback

IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1552_1.jpg
IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_1548.jpg

hey fellas here are a few photos to give you a better idea of what I'm up against on my driveway. I gotta move rocks this size drag big trees as seen. thanks for the advice, let me know what ya think.

Finca SDR

Any full size hoe will do that, it doesn't have to be a "big" hoe. Just get the one that's in good condition and within budget that presents itself to you. Parts availability too.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
backhoes are very handy here's a few pics. from when I finished with my gravel pit and decided to clean it up the bank is about 50' high.
gravel pit 017.jpg
When I started to when I finished took 3 days .Made a trail to the top to get started.
gravel pit 009.jpg
Lots of bolders
gravel pit 014.jpg
A couple years later with some growth started.
May 27th 17 001.jpg
I used all the large boulders around the base.

HankTO

Theres a Cat 416 that might be worthwhile looking at. Not sure how far from you but its listed on Craigslist Albany. Enter backhoe in the search.

ofenback

good looking out Hank! I just sent that fella an email so I'll find out what that machine needs. Looks like a halfway decent machine, but I think I've heard some fellas comment about the early 416s… So we'll see.

It's about two hours away from me, not ideal, but I could certainly make it work if the deal is right.

I went to go look at a case 580 E , Extendahoe, four-wheel-drive the other day and as soon as the guy started it up a steady stream of black liquid started leakin from the undercarriage. The fella said it must be trans fluid from the reverser seal and would have to take it into the shop when they get time.
Not exactly a great sign, but otherwise she didn't seem too abused… anybody know if that makes sense...seal in the reverse part of tranny? I would offer him less for it and try to do the work with a friend but it sounds like a big job, that I know nothing about.

anyway thanks hank, i really appreciate ya lookin out!

check

You said the road is about 8% grade. I've owned several mountain properties and having dealt with the issue of steep terrain, know that often the road is routed to avoid the steep areas or wind through them gradually. That said, if your land is generally steeper than the road, you will find 2WD to be very dangerous to operate. Unfortunately, most of the 4WD backhoes are later models than your budget permits. Backhoes are versatile but topheavy.
A big old excavator can be very useful and productive, but not cost effective to buy if you have to haul it a great distance only to find out it needs a lot of repairs.
As you get further into the development of your property, a skid steer is extremely handy and versatile.

franklin2

With all those rocks and trees to move around, I think I would try to get a thumb on the bucket as soon as possible. I would say try a adding a grapple on the front bucket, but on a backhoe it's so hard to see the bucket way up front like that.

Now a grapple attachment on a skidsteer is a wonderful thing, you can't beat it. And it would do some digging also if you put a tooth bar on the skidsteer bucket. Better at grading too. But you can't dig stumps out with it.

ofenback

You said the road is about 8% grade. I've owned several mountain properties and having dealt with the issue of steep terrain, know that often the road is routed to avoid the steep areas or wind through them gradually. That said, if your land is generally steeper than the road, you will find 2WD to be very dangerous to operate. Unfortunately, most of the 4WD backhoes are later models than your budget permits. Backhoes are versatile but topheavy.
A big old excavator can be very useful and productive, but not cost effective to buy if you have to haul it a great distance only to find out it needs a lot of repairs.
As you get further into the development of your property, a skid steer is extremely handy and versatile.

yes indeed. I would love a skid steer and originally I was in the market for one instead of TLB. I worked for a state park nearby and did a ton of bobcat work on trails, in the woods and roads. they are fantastic but I absolutely can't dig stumps with them and that's my first priority.... hence the search for a TLB.

believe it or not, my driveway does go basically straight down the slope. there are two turns but not very sharp. I think I could get away with 2wd on the driveway but it seems like a front bucket full of weight really reduces traction of rear tires on uneven terrains and I've got plenty of that....so that's why I'm leaning towards 4wd if I can afford it.

here's a TOPO map detail of my property (sort of). red arrow points to my driveway.
IMG_0733.jpg

below is a closer detail of the few turns of the driveway. probably more info then necc but I'm happy to have all these opinions and ideas so at least you can get a better idea of the lay of the land which will help dictate the type of machine best suited and some of the scenarios i'l be faced with.

IMG_1595.jpg

thanks for the advice fellas, be safe out there

ofenback

With all those rocks and trees to move around, I think I would try to get a thumb on the bucket as soon as possible. I would say try a adding a grapple on the front bucket, but on a backhoe it's so hard to see the bucket way up front like that.

Now a grapple attachment on a skidsteer is a wonderful thing, you can't beat it. And it would do some digging also if you put a tooth bar on the skidsteer bucket. Better at grading too. But you can't dig stumps out with it.

yea, i'l try to get a thumb if I can. grapple would be nice but I might save that for my next tlb

ofenback

Theres a Cat 416 that might be worthwhile looking at. Not sure how far from you but its listed on Craigslist Albany. Enter backhoe in the search.
I emailed this owner and he emailed back
"the cylinder that picks up the rear boom is weak, the rest of the hyd are super strong."
not exactly sure if that's something I can fix...I most likely need another big machine to deal with that...

check

I emailed this owner and he emailed back
"the cylinder that picks up the rear boom is weak, the rest of the hyd are super strong."
not exactly sure if that's something I can fix...I most likely need another big machine to deal with that...
Depending on the boom configuration, you might be able to stretch the boom out on the ground and disassemble it horizontally right there and repack the cylinder.

HankTO

There were two postings on craigslist there was one near the bottom of the page where he was selling the backhoe and a trailer. Is this the one you are looking at?

ofenback

hey hank, no. the one I inquired about was in Cossayuna NY and no mention of trailer. just said "cat 416, 4x4, needs tic and tires fair." price 12,500.
I'll take a look again. thanks again for the heads up.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Oftenback I started with mostly trial and error before there were forms now I'm able to gain knowledge from those here who actually know something and are willing to share. Sure helps make things easier.