• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to go from a 1989 RD690 to a 2001 RD688

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
In terms of dump trucks an RB quad will turn in the same radius as an RD triaxle.

jmac

Here is the specs for 1989:

38,000 rears
17,000 fronts
7 speed 300hp
air and air lock pintle, locking rears, low low 1,2,R
registered for 54,000 inspected in June. I wouldn't mind keeping it because you can load with a skid steer easily. Trucks tare is 22,840.

New stuff this year:
brake pads, drums, front floats, 4 rear tires, hydraulic lift ram rebuilt for box, battery's

New stuff last year:
driver seat, radio, alternator, starter, heater fan, load tarp, slack adjuster, air to air cooler

asking $20,000 this truck is my only dump truck so what ever it needed I fixed it when it needed it.

mack.JPG

brown 2.jpg

Last edited:

jmac

I drove the truck home. Here is a photo of the new to me truck:

1220001429.jpg

Needs some basic repair stuff, my lettering, but should be good to go.

nickbowers

I understand! I have always been a mack guy, but we almost bought a freightliner right before we got the granite. They are like anything else, all essentially the same with there own little quirks, what it comes down to is good and or bad experiences and owner/ driver preference.

Over here mack doesnt have a good reputation as good as you guys say depends who you talk to, but a freightliner on the other hand doesnt matter who you talk to they are the biggest heap of crap. We have lots of issues with them, apparently they got better since they run benz running gear but that wasnt until 04 05 from memory

jmac

Trip was long, didn't go by way of VT going home. Went that way, over the mountains and threw the small towns and did not want to do that with a dump truck.

We went down 91 to 90 and then west, took close to 6 hours each way. Truck did fine needs a new seat so even more uncomfortable than usual.