• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy Ford 55E backhoe what do ya think?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I've spent the last week searching.

If this hoe hours are accurate, and it's in very good condition, it's worth the price. I would assume there's a little wiggle room in the negotiation so maybe it could be bought for $12,500.

I haven't called about it yet. Hoping weather conditions improve and Delmer can get a chance to go look at it. Whenever he thinks he can swing that I'll call for location and details.

Thanks everyone for the contributions. Thanks to Delmer for offering to look at the machine!!!

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I think for the hrs. and by the looks of it the price may be high for the year of the machine but not as far as the hrs. on it go. $12,000 isn't a lot for a good piece of equipment.

El Hombre

Everybody wants 50% more when they sell, and same % off when they buy....

That looks like a nice machine; if after you look at it, it's still nice, offer him $12K. Bet he takes it.

Ford's are great. I've had my 5550 for 29 years. And it was only 15 years old when I bought it. Parts are much less costly than the other makes, especially JD. But I doubt you'll be buying many, the Fords are tough.

We have an active Ford dealer here, so mostly what you see are Ford. If it's some big outfit like PGE, they put out a bid and Case usually won it. Made it up on parts and all the former PGE operators were familiar with Case and bought one when they went independent.

Ford was always a little more new, but then you saved on parts and not needing a lot of repairs. Another thing I've noticed is Ford used an automotive/truck way of building, instead of a farm tractor basis. Like JD. So you get all kinds of weird things on a JD, because it was how they did the tractors. If you were a 'farmer', you had experience with the weirdness and it was no big deal. I wasn't a 'farmer' so the Ford way made waaayyyy more sense.

Us Ford owners aren't the loudmouths like the JD, Case, and Cat peeps. We know the machines are as good as anything out there and just quietly go about our work....

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I think for the hrs. and by the looks of it the price may be high for the year of the machine but not as far as the hrs. on it go. $12,000 isn't a lot for a good piece of equipment.

I agree Bill. I could sleep with this purchase.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Everybody wants 50% more when they sell, and same % off when they buy....

That looks like a nice machine; if after you look at it, it's still nice, offer him $12K. Bet he takes it.

Ford's are great. I've had my 5550 for 29 years. And it was only 15 years old when I bought it. Parts are much less costly than the other makes, especially JD. But I doubt you'll be buying many, the Fords are tough.

We have an active Ford dealer here, so mostly what you see are Ford. If it's some big outfit like PGE, they put out a bid and Case usually won it. Made it up on parts and all the former PGE operators were familiar with Case and bought one when they went independent.

Ford was always a little more new, but then you saved on parts and not needing a lot of repairs. Another thing I've noticed is Ford used an automotive/truck way of building, instead of a farm tractor basis. Like JD. So you get all kinds of weird things on a JD, because it was how they did the tractors. If you were a 'farmer', you had experience with the weirdness and it was no big deal. I wasn't a 'farmer' so the Ford way made waaayyyy more sense.

Us Ford owners aren't the loudmouths like the JD, Case, and Cat peeps. We know the machines are as good as anything out there and just quietly go about our work....

Yeah I definitely wouldn't offer $12K unless I meant it.

I'm not a call and bicker kind of guy. When I call I'll have my list of questions that need answered. Maybe request more pics if I can't get eyes on it. Then I'll make my offer.

Thanks for your reply.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
This hoe sold. He got his asking price with no argument.

The search continues. :)

Delmer

huh, so I'm off the hook for looking at it then? I was a little suspicious at that price, too high to be a Nigerian scammer (plus no palm trees in the pic?), but JUST RIGHT to be a bait and switch. Obviously a dealer of some sort from the pics, I say bait and switch until proven otherwise.

edit: maybe not? I see the add is deleted, maybe I was confusing this with the other add that was up two months.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Delmer, I don't know. These deals get very confusing to me. I've got sellers not answering any type of communication. At least this guy talked to me. Sounds like it was legit and he sold it.

Yep, you are off the hook. I don't say that lightly. I very much appreciate your offer. If there's anything I can ever do for you in the Missouri area be sure to let me know.

I'm on the scent of an older Ford 555A now. Gonna go look at it Monday. Stand by for an update.

Thanks again for your offer of assistance Delmer!!!! :)