• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy, advice needed.

Preppypyro

Hey there guys and gals,

Im looking to expand a little and am pondering purchasing a hydraulic excavator. Ive ran them before, but I really know very little about what to look for when buying a used one. I am most likely going to be looking at excavators at ritchie brothers auctions, and they have lots of pictures, and generally not a whole ton of info.

One thing I keep seeing is stick size, but i cant really determine which part of the boom that would be referring to. I really have no idea what Im looking for, I dont have to have any certain brands, but I would like it to be reliable. i would take reliability over power.

Anyways im hoping to start here and learning a few things, so school me up!

Thanks for any and all comments!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The stick or dipper arm is where the bucket is attached. There are different lengths that fit different applications. A long stick for pipe laying and reach. A short stick for moving dirt as the breakout force and cycle time is quicker with a shorter stick.

Be vary weary of machines at auction - the Ritchie Brothers "overhaul" is a term coined with wisdom. IE - put a slick paint job on a bucket of bolts and roll it across the auction floor.:cool:

There are many things to look for when buying used equipment, I am sure other members will chime in.