• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy a used mini excavator,need input

Gordo54

There is a Yanmar Vio35-2 serial#22544B with 3600 hrs down the road from me for sale. He's asking $15000. Would you say that's a good price, it's looks in real good shape, the cab is not beat up at all inside or out which lends me to believe it was not abused. I just retired last year and this machine would come in handy on my 40 arce property on live on,I already own a model 332 j Deere skidsteer and this mini excavator would be nice for trenching and brushing. I think it's a 2003 by the serial# but I'm not sure can anyone confirm.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
The hours are getting up there but should still have a few hours left in her if it's been maintained. I'd ask about maintenance records/service history. I have a 35-5 and absolutely love it... Nowhere near the hours on it.................

Gordo54

Thanks for the reply Canuck Digger, maybe for the best but that machine was sold to someone else. I also was concerned about the hours,I'm now looking for a machine with 1500 hours or less. I know the lower the hours higher the cost, I have a budget of 30 k and I'm no big hurry to buy so I will keep checking online and stay in touch with guys in the business locally. Thanks again Digger

Gordo54

My wish list includes Kubtoa KX 91S2/U35-4,Deere 35G/D, Cat 303.5E CR, Bobcat of similar size or maybe a Yanmar ViO 35-6. I know I will have to up my budget to at least 35 k but I really don't want to go any higher so I have money left for a new Honda 1000 SxS lol.

Gordo54

Well I was able to find a mini thru my local j Deere salesman,he located one over in MN thru their dealership network Nortrax. It's a 2015 35G 280 hours, long arm, thumb,and cab with heat/ac. It came with 24" bucket and I added a 12"& 34" new buckets all for 37k. delivered to my property. I feel a got a really sweet deal after checking out a ton of machines online. Hoping I won't have to put anymore money into it except fuel and general maintenance over the coming years. I bought this equipment to help me improve my 40 acres we live on and do project I can do myself instead of having to hire someone to do them. Looks like my s x s is going to have to wait for awhile.

melli

Sounds like a deal. Thumb and Cab are nice things to have.
Not dissing your machine, but one thing that has me wondering is the power plant...seems newer machines have less HP than older machines, yet they claim to do as well or better. I get the reasoning is to attain Tier 4 specs. Smaller engine, less emissions.
Are the pumps getting better...which begs the question, can a person upgrade their pump when it is time to replace it?

413wedge

that's a really good deal gordo. that 35 is a sweet machine with good power . I was quoted for a 27 last year new with 4 buckets , thumb and open station for well over 40k. at 280 hrs. that thing is damn near brand new with all the break in maintenance done. congrats on a nice machine

Gordo54

I was wondering the same thing melli about the reduce HP but the spec says the hydraulics system is the same as on the 50G and with the size of this machine it does not need aftermarket emissions. So for what I paid for it I'm sure I won't be to disappointed in its power after all I won't be using it to make a living.

melli

I was wondering the same thing melli about the reduce HP but the spec says the hydraulics system is the same as on the 50G and with the size of this machine it does not need aftermarket emissions. So for what I paid for it I'm sure I won't be to disappointed in its power after all I won't be using it to make a living.

Yeah, it was just an observation across all lines of machines. What are they doing different to cut engine size almost in half yet maintain same hydraulic force. On the plus side, one saves a lot of diesel (assuming same RPM). My machine is, on paper, lighter than yours (bet it is heavier with all the dirt on it though..lol), yet it technically, has 40hp. For example, if they cut the engine size in a car, it goes slower, but not in an excavator. Perhaps, they ought to list pump efficiency or some metric that tells me what a machine is capable of. I know they list bucket and arm force etc., but something is making newer machines better (more efficient) than the old ones. Does one take the psi and flow rate to derive true power? Have ram cylinders and/or hydraulic lines gotten bigger? Must have something to do with the pumps...which makes me wonder if one can upgrade their pump when the old one goes...

Gordo54

Thanks 413 wedge for confirming what I thought was a great buy. I also recieved extended 4 year warranty with the machine. I can't wait till spring to start some of the projects that I have running thru my mind.

Gordo54

Cat it's got the mechanical quick coupler, I guess only plus there is one less cylinder to leak. Seeing it's for my personal use I don't see changing buckets more than once in a day. Question for you guys my mini is tucked away for the winter in my outbuilding and with the amount of snow we get here in upper Michigan it does paid keep that building open in the winter,would you suggest I run it once a month for 10 minutes is it necessary. It will probably be May before it see the light of day.

joispoi

There's nothing wrong with a mechanical quick coupler. It's MUCH better than changing pin on buckets.:) If nothing else, it makes you get out of the seat and get the blood flowing to your legs for a minute while you change buckets.;) You'd have to be switching tools pretty often to actually need a hydraulic coupler.

Do you have any pics?

Gordo54

Sorry taking so long posting pictures of my ex mini which I got in January,here they are now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 172

Rentalstop

Nice machine, but the counterweights make your butt look big. I love my two Deere 27D minis. Buying a 17G tomorrow.

Gordo54

For sure but it sure does give me long reach with that long arm. Can't wait till spring,still have a foot and a half of snow on the ground here. Congrats on getting a new addition to your fleet.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
You will love that 35 Gordo. I bought my D a little over a year ago, fantastic rig. It can actually outdig it's much bigger brother, my 410G for speed which is quite a feet.