• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy a new 30 ton class excavator

Doctor Dirt

Ive been a Cat guy for 27 years ,but im not a fan of the new 336f tier 4 final.So ive been looking at the Komatsu PC360LC-10.So I was wondering if anyone has any feedback about the PC360LC-10 or about Komatsu in general.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Doctor Dirt!:drinkup

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I have 3- various size Komatsu excavators with the largest being a PC200 that have been excellent in all ways, including service and support from the dealer.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
If you don't mind me asking doctor dirt what don't you like about the 336f?

Doctor Dirt

The answer to your quest Jam is that .it has poor visibility out the right side, you can't see out the rear at all, so u have to trust the rear view camera. When it's snowing or in really dusty conditions the camera gets dirty. I also don't like the fact that u have to add DEF fluid (extra cost) and it's not as fuel efficient as cat says they are.it Burns 38L/hr. My 330cl with 10700Hrs Burns 40L/hr. komatsu 21to 29l/hr. The power is there and the machine is solid but to pull grade it's a little rough and I'm worried about long term, will it last?

JGibson

Get a Link Belt. Run a few Komatsu's including a PC240LC-10, good excavator but doesn't have the same balls as a Link Belt. But the one advantage of a 336F is the fact that it is Tier 4 final. Not a fan of interim Tier 4, but I would still look at the Link Belt.

rpacbigpipe

We just bought a 390 which is a 360 on a 490 under carriage 500 hrs on it great machine cycles very fast and lifts 12 ton no problem. 360 seemed a little light pulled itself all over the place lots of power. 390 just heavy enough to be stable. Long stick and coupler handles it fine over the side. Not tier 4 final but komatsu services it for the first 2000 hrs very good deal.

FinnTech

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Technician
I would not purchase any machine with the C9.3, the reliability of these engines is the worst I have ever seen. If you get 7000hrs without a major failure you have a high hour engine: dropped valves, cam follower failures, high pressure fuel pump failures, timing gear failures, cracked EGR coolers causing bent conn rods. Engines are failing faster than they can be built, the last three I repaired there were no crankshafts available.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I have 3-4K hours on 2 machines with not any issues except a boom cylinder leak and a few hoses. The Komatsu PC200 has 12K hours but had to have the Cummins engine overhauled at 11K hours- started to burn oil due to a cracked ring, never had any other major issues, even will start with no block heater at 0 degrees. Also have a 290 Link Belt that has been very much a PITA to keep running, just seems like one issue after another with it, and now we have lost the Link Belt dealer in Kansas City to top it off. My preference is Komatsu or Cat then Deere.
Have you had any major failures? Does any of your equipment have high hours?

Last edited:

Shimmy1

I've ran 200, 300, and 400 Komatsu. Dash 6, 7, and 8's. Only one I thought was worth it's salt was the 200HD-8. All the others were way to light in the tail. If all of them would have a ton or three more counterweight, they'd be alright. I'm a Case guy, so I'm going to vote for Case or Link Belt. Clintm can tell you all you want to know about a 350 Case.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
The answer to your quest Jam is that .it has poor visibility out the right side, you can't see out the rear at all, so u have to trust the rear view camera. When it's snowing or in really dusty conditions the camera gets dirty. I also don't like the fact that u have to add DEF fluid (extra cost) and it's not as fuel efficient as cat says they are.it Burns 38L/hr. My 330cl with 10700Hrs Burns 40L/hr. komatsu 21to 29l/hr. The power is there and the machine is solid but to pull grade it's a little rough and I'm worried about long term, will it last?
It's the visibility that bugs the hell out of me. Iv a 312b 11200hrs and a 320d 8200hrs. I'm looking at a 312e but can't get my head around all the blind spots for such a small machine. Iv had unreal service from my two cats but worry the new iron won't hold money or hold up as well

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have the same issue with the new Cat excavators - hate the big ass. Had a 316E on loan while they were repairing a 321, I liked the machine as it was powerful and quick but the rear end is a no-go for me.

ror76a

I don't know about a 30 toner, but I had a PC220LC-8 Komatsu, which was not a bad machine, but I traded it on a 324E Cat, and it would take a lot to even get me to consider another Komatsu. The 220 had only had around 2500 hours on it when I got it and the pins & bushings were getting loose, and the seat was real loose. Had a thumb & coupler and it was like riding a rocking horse. All the fuel lines & some of the hyd. lines were dry rotted and one by one started leaking. Then the electronic problems started and I got rid of it.
I was a little worried about the visibility of the Cat at first, as we do a lot of demo and land clearing, and I don't like dents. It took a little getting used to, but it hasn't been an issue. With the mirrors on the right side (I'm sure I will be buying a few of them over the life of the machine) and the camera I can probably see better than a normal machine. I never spent much time looking out the back window on an excavator anyways. Comparing it to the Komatsu it has a coupler and progressive link thumb, and a 2.4 yard bucket vs 2yd on the 220, while it will get a little tippy if you are working in heavy material and put it all the way out there, I have smaller buckets and it is still way more stable than the 220. Economy mode on the Cat is just as fast and more powerful than the 220's power mode, but it does burn more fuel, by about a half a gallon an hour, but it moves more dirt too. I also found that the Cat is much smoother to operate. I never thought there would be that much of a difference between the two.

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
I have ran a lot of different excavators. Many Komatsu's from a pc100 to pc750 and we did not have many issues with them. They were very strong and fast. Most of them had about 10000hrs. We just purchased a Cat 336 it is different to get use to. If you are use to the smaller equipment you are right it does not have the visibility. I would never buy a link belt/case very light counter weight and lack of power. I think. The john deere don't have the lifting.

Shimmy1

I would never buy a link belt/case very light counter weight and lack of power.

Ah.............ok? I've ran Case hoes 880B, 1080B, 1280B, 9030B, 9040B, 210B, 210C, and 290B. I've ran 200-5, 200-6, 200-8, 300-6, 300-7, 300-8, 400-6, 400-7. I realize that everyone has an opinion, but I have NEVER been in a Komatsu excavator that I thought had enough counterweight except for the 200HD-8. Now, I'm also not a Komatsu hater, either. I think Komatsu loaders are some of the best. 320, 380, 450, 500, I loaded beets with 12 and 14 yd³ buckets. Awesome machines. Dozers, same thing. I've ran D39, 41, 51, 61, 65, 85, and 155. Not one of them left me wanting except the 65, but it had 17,000 hrs and was TIRED. Sorry for the rant, but I'd be curious to know the circumstances where you thought the Case needed more weight, because I have never found one. And I clean drainage ditches with 6 and 7 foot buckets while sitting on sometimes a 2:1 slope. Ok, done.

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
I ran a lb160 digging basements. it tried to face plant almost every bucket and was slooww doing so. I also ran a lb 2800q (don't know if that was a case or not) it did the same thing if I had a loaded bucket.

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
the 160 was I think was like a 36" and the 2800 was I think a 48". both where about 12yrs ago I think

Demoman822

I own a Komatsu PC360LC-10 and its terrible... I own 99% Cat and bought this.. Wish i could just sell it.. DPF Issues from day 1