• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy a dump truck need some help.

Pbz

I have seen very few trucks like that especially in south florida. Further up north i've seen a couple but older usually. I could build that truck easily. If i find the right chassis cab, the dump body is the easy part.

Tennessee

Thats exactly what I did. Swans LPG with 100,000 miles and GVW 23,900. It weighs just under 11,000 empty with full tank LPG. Had to raise the front of the bed since it came off a standard size pickup.

IMG_0946.jpg

td25c

Keep in mind, if you insure it as a farm truck, and get in a wreck using it for construction, you'll be outside your policy, and uninsured. I have farm tags on a couple of my trucks, but I insure them for commercial use, so I only have to worry about a ticket for misuse of farm tags if I do something else with them.

Farm tags on the spreader trucks ?

td25c

I figured it was the spreader trucks mitch . I imagine it differs state to state .

In my neck of the woods farmers don't even bother plating a spreader truck .

mitch504

The 2 farmers around that have their own don't plate them, but I drive mine up to 100 miles or so. The fertilizer dealers (which I haven't been one of since 2010) have to run commercial plates.

I am probably the only person around here to ever pull a mobile home with a floater spreader truck, though.

Queenslander

I'll duck for cover first.. but what about something from Japan?
Over here, they're really all we have to choose from in this application, except maybe for the trusty old ACCO ( Australian Commercial Cab Over)
image.jpeg

td25c

I am probably the only person around here to ever pull a mobile home with a floater spreader truck, though.

Yeah , but that's still agricultural use so you were fine with the farm tags .;):D

Keep up the good work brother .:thumbsup

Pbz

I have no specs on the ford as of yet. Guy has responded to my email asking if the truck is work ready. Its about 300 miles away so she better be ready for the trip home at the very least. The fusos are popular for landscapers but its not really my style. Ideally i'd like to be able to load 10 tons in the truck. Full size tandem axle rigs usually bring me 20 tons. I've seen farm tags on anything from a beat up pick up to irrigation trucks in these parts so farm truck tag will have to suffice.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Last edited:

Pbz

Thanks cm1995 those are nice trucks. My old man is weary of me traveling too far to purchase just in case. Towing one those bad boys home is not ideal. I foind thise one within an hour of my farm. Trucks in good shape, kept in the warehouse, and i can use that box for storage.
00J0J_e5yICU8ndI5_600x450.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've got a '99 Inter 4700 - DT466, 5 sp, air brakes, 25.5K GVW. It's been a good truck, dependable but with only a 5 sp trans it's top speed is 65. We use it as a service truck, it was a welding supply truck before.

Really can't go wrong with the 4700/4900's for the price. The DT466 with a 6 or 7 speed trans is the way to go. The 7 speed is a "6+1" which gives you one low gear. I had that trans in a 4300 dump, the low gear is nice for creeping around off road.

Pbz

Its an 89 Kodiak w the caterpillar turbo diesel. Has juice brakes but guy says trucks in perfect working condition. Used to be a roofing truck so bed lifts and dumps. $4k worth it?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Spend some time. Check the entire truck. I bought a $3700 truck. It was a 42,000 mile dealer trade in. Paint was fresh, it drove well, looked very good. The bed soon needed a major overhaul, We replaced door skins, rockers, and cab corners. The tires were good tread, but old. In no time they started showing cracks. 10.00-20 tires are hard to find. New rims, and tires. An engine timing problem drove me nuts. A good mechanic said he hadn't torn it down to confirm, it seemed to him it was the timing chain. By the time they wear out, it's late life for the rest of the engine. I found a 427 truck engine and rebuilt with much of the 366. It was then I learned the timing problem was due to a tiny plastic part in the distributor. A new engine got a new carburetor. My $3700 truck is no longer a $3700 truck.

Pbz

I totally understand your point. I have a mobile diesel mechanic on speed dial to check any trucks i go see and have serious interest in. I saw this one today. It belongs to a friend of my dads. Been sitting a while but he said w a new battery should crank right up. I can get used tires for these trucks easily in my area and i have a guy that gets me tires at wholesale as well. This guyvwas asking 10k for this truck [obviously why its been sitting in his front yard forever] My guys are currently installing metal roof on a gazebo he built so hopefully that'll be my bargaining chip but how kuch do y'all think this trucks worth? 7k?
20160206_095407.jpg

Shimmy1

What year? engine? trans? It looks to be mid-90's? If the box is in good shape with a centerpost hoist, that itself is probably worth $3000. Just my opinion, based on the trucks you've indicated interest in, I think you should be looking for a Freightliner or Ford with a 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins. If you can't find one of those, then an IH with a DT360 or DT466. I normally would recommend the International first, but with the size truck you are looking for, I feel the 5.9 or 8.3 would be a much better choice. DT's are ok, just not near the engine the little Cummins are. Definitely I would avoid those little Cats at all cost.

Shimmy1

I've got a '99 Inter 4700 - DT466, 5 sp, air brakes, 25.5K GVW. It's been a good truck, dependable but with only a 5 sp trans it's top speed is 65. We use it as a service truck, it was a welding supply truck before.

Really can't go wrong with the 4700/4900's for the price. The DT466 with a 6 or 7 speed trans is the way to go. The 7 speed is a "6+1" which gives you one low gear. I had that trans in a 4300 dump, the low gear is nice for creeping around off road.

Hey CM, how many miles you getting on a DT? Are yours the older mechanical version?