• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy a D8K or D8L. Need help.

madozer

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and have never owned a dozer before. I have been reading up on the threads here. What I need is something like a D8K or D8L because of the edge in power over the D7G in pushing over wood in virgin forest and opening up new dirt roads on a large farm. Might even hire it out during downtime. I am just wondering what advantage the elevated drive sprocket of the D8L offers over the flat setup of the D8K? Does anyone know which of these models is more prone to mechanical problems historically, if at all? I am also wondering whether 60k would be a good budget for the D8L. I would like a dozer that is likely to work for longer before I start worrying about any serious mechanical issues. The work will be in Africa, so the machine needs to be in pretty good shape due to a much lower chance of getting good service assistance.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cam85

Nige is right but it if it was me I would b rafter the 8L the k is to old and the power shift mode k seem to run hot in my experience.
The n series seem to b a lemon I've not found a good one yet.
The L series seem to very reliable tough easy to work on easy to get parts 4 they are a bit thirsty but good value.

madozer

You really want to be looking at D8K and D8N to compare apples with apples. An 8L would be too big for you, it became the 9N when the models were renumbered.

Thanks Nige. When you say the D8L is too big, is that in terms of the horsepower, or in terms of the size/weight as well? Incidentally, the D9N is supposed to have 370hp compared to the D8L that has 335hp, from what I read in wikipedia, or am I getting that all mixed up? The issue of the elevated drive socket still applies in the case of the D8K vs the D8N. What are the benefits of the EDS if any over the previous design? Just wondering whether this would give rise to high maintenance issues out in Africa(Cameroon) where parts delivery would be more of a challenge....

madozer

Thanks Cam85.

I guess if it were the D8K, then I would have to go with the ones with a direct drive transmission then. Is direct drive more like manual shift?

What has been the common problem with the D8N's in your experience? Or has it been a myriad of them?

All D8's are thirsty... lol.

What would be a good price range to shoot for?

Nige is right but it if it was me I would b rafter the 8L the k is to old and the power shift mode k seem to run hot in my experience.
The n series seem to b a lemon I've not found a good one yet.
The L series seem to very reliable tough easy to work on easy to get parts 4 they are a bit thirsty but good value.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you want to look at specifications, try here - http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page - it's designed around our industry.

When I said compare 8K with 8N, the reasoning behind it was this. The 8K was replaced by the 8L which was physically a much larger tractor despite the only 35 BHP difference in power (335 vs. 300). This left a huge hole in the product line between the D7G @ 200 BHP and the 8L @ 335BHP, so a couple of years later Caterpillar renumbered all the models. The 8L became the 9N and power was upped from 335 to 370. At the same time the 8N was introduced with 285BHP to fit nicely in the gap between the D7G and the D9N. So in weight, power, and a lot of other things, the 8N is the "slightly more modern equivalent" of the 8K, despite the fact that there is the D8L in between them in the lineage.

For what you are proposing developing a farm my opinion is that the D8L would be too heavy, it's really a mining machine.
I agree with Cam that any 8K you might be able to get hold of would be way long in the tooth to be reliable, despite the fact it may fit your budget. Also agree that if the fuel injection on an 8K is not perfectly set up they do suffer from overheating issues in really hot climates.
I disagree with him about the 8N though. In my experience they are a pretty good tractor.

I also think your budget is way too low. A tractor in decent shape in around the 275-300BHP class is going to cost you minimum $100k, maybe as much as 120k.

Cam85

Yea mate Nige is right about your budget.i would have 2 see the job to comment on weather an 8L would b to heavy.
If it was me I would try and stay away from a direct drive machine ( that means stick shift manual ) remember you have to get someone to drive it.
A high track is a lot easier to work on and in the case of the 8L or N ur getting into a pendulating undercarriage.
This provides a better ride and puts the power to the ground better great in timber and rock kinder on tractor and driver alike.
As for the n series I have a personal hatred for them I've had nothing but trouble with em I think they are nothin more than a 7 on steroids one D8N I drove did the tranni the eng a track cannon a final and a hyd pump all in 2 months and it was not driver abuse a fair bit of the trouble was from dodgy work done buy the bosses now ex fitter and I learned later that machine came from France so that might have something to do with it but I won't go near one I've sat on old clapped out direct drive tractors that gave me less trouble far far less.

madozer

Hi Crazycajun,

That's heartening after the previous posts costwise...lol. I am nonetheless leaning towards revising my choice to maybe a D7H which has a bit more power than the D7G, and is a newer model. Btw, have you had any breakdowns at all, and if so, what was the problem?

I bought a d8L for 56,000 at auction, about 2 years ago. Put aftermarket a/c and its still going

tctractors

I would think the chance of finding a D/D D8K would be next to none, in the U.K. I have never seen 1, the power shift tractors are easier to fix than D/D needing lower skill levels with parts easy to locate, a tractor that has a good grip of the blade full of muck is the D7R LGP they can poke a good amount of muck about with ease, plus they are easy to work on, I would much prefer to repair a Torque drive than a clutch tractor, I do them both often so I should have some idea.
tctractors

Clint mayne

image.jpg we have a d8k spacer plate motor after cooled it has 1900 hours on the motor tranny and torque convert brand new berco undercariage rails pads rollers and sprocket the undercariage has 200 hrs on them nothing wrong with dozer we upgrading everything to cab and ac the first 60.000 takes it you can come run it on our job site I will bet u that u will not find a better d8k on the market than this one

Last edited: