• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for the right mill bit

Mobilewrench

The smaller port on the right seems to be okay. It was "repaired" three or four years ago. You can see the difference in the color of the metal where it was filled in and brought back flat.
That wasn't the original plan. But the machinist I took it too wasn't able to get it on his mill.
The larger port on the left is the problem child. It was also repaired 3 or four years ago. This time last year I had to tear it apart because of the leak. That's when I started this thread.
I know it isn't a great picture but if you zoom in you can see how material has chipped out where the back up ring in the valve body (I didn't take any intentional shots of it, but I am pretty sure that it is visible in one of the earlier pictures) makes contact with the main body of the hammer.

Legdoc

I have several questions.
1. What is the physical size of the hammer?
2. How much does it weigh?
3. Is there a facility there that does job shop work for the Navy?

I would think tig welding the depressions followed by a carbide or ceramic insert shell mill would do a dandy job.
I have seen a finish on steel by a shell mill look like the data side of a CD. Rainbow and all.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I take it you have also
Checked the mated surface component for Flat and true? Need to find a mill that can handle that and face it or replace it.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Something that indexes snug in the bore, carbide burr on a dremel attached to the index and rotated to carve a slightly larger oring groove?

terex herder

I would be tempted to see if a shop could mill or grind .002/.004 from the mating part with the o-rings to give the o-rings a bit more compression. Don't go overboard, if the o rings are over compressed they will fail quickly. A picture of the complete hammer would give some indication of size. Looks like an easy fix in my shop, but don't know what is available for equipment on your islands.