• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for suggestions

buckwheat_la

I am a landscaper/maintenance provider, and I am looking into some new equipment this year, particularly another wheel loader. We currently have a 910 Cat loader that has been completely rebuilt, and I love it to death. Large enough to push around a larger snow push, small enough to get into loading docks with. Problem now is I want another one and can't seem to find any worth buying. Also the price seems to be up there, no one seems to want to let a older 910 go for less then $25000-$30000, I bought my first one for $15000. So any suggestions on other brand machines that fit the bill? I would think a older John Deere 444 would be alright, but does anyone have any other suggestion?

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
There is a lot of demand for older used equipment overseas especially Cat Komatsu and Deere. Brokers are buying them up to resell. The same problem with excavators, prices are way up. A lot of demand in Japan for Sunami damage repair. You may have to start going to auctions just to get an idea what is out there.

Last edited:

buckwheat_la

I have a couple ideas out there, and have learned a bit from this site too. I realize that a lot of the CAT equipment is higher priced, which is why I was looking for some other loader ideas that would be the same size. Also figure I might make a 920 work for my application too, and there seems to be a fair few of them out there.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Don't count out the older Clark Michigan 45C or 55C, ( quite a few went to municipalities and counties. watch for Gov auctions), and on the larger side, 75 B or C, or 125 B or C. they will mostly have Detroit or Cummins engines and other parts are out there through www.minnpar.com and other sources, service through Volvo dealers, and not too hard to work on. Deere Loaders are good but expensive to repair and harder to work on. Not much experience with Case, but in areas with a good Case dealer seem to have quite a few single owners around, small gravel pits, etc. .

Last edited:

buckwheat_la

I have done some research and yes, I think a older michigan would suit my purposes just fine. Any thoughts on where to look? Keeping in mind I am from Alberta, other then Machinery trader and Iron planet, I have not had much luck finding other listings for older michigan or cat loaders. I looked into the Case stuff, but most of their older stuff is backwards with the cab on the front, seems like a bad idea to me for snow because then you are never paying attention to where your back end is at when you are articulating.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I would search for Government surplus auctions. Google Clark 45C 55C and see what comes up. Isn't there a Google.ca for Canada? that might narrow it down a little. You can also search for equipment auctions, Ritchie Bros. run auctions all over the world. Search for forestry equipment sales some of the smaller loggers used end loaders with forks to load trucks. Check some of the Northern states like Montana North Dakota. I don't think that it's much problem bringing older used equipment in to Canada. I did live in St. Thomas, Ont. for 10 years working for Clark.

carlsharp

Come to California! The smog laws have reached heavy equipment, and that combined with construction going belly up the auctions are full of good used equipment!

grandpa

Why in the dickens would you even consider anything else? You know them love them and could stock the same filters and parts.... i'd keep looking til i found one in my spec's and price range.... don't mix the herd.

Kiwi Tussock

Grandpa above, is quite right. That's why when we had 4 loaders, we stuck with the ol' Hough's. (plus an ol' grunty Michigan 75B) There wasn't a great selection to choose from 25 - 20 years ago here in New Zealand but it certainly meant that the familiarity helped when something broke. And the parts suppliers were known of & who was wrecking one. Not that much was done on them. Mainly cause they were so reliable and just keep on going. Oils was another reason. Didn't need another drum of the stuff to be concerned with or if something needed a different grade. Even manuals. All the down time one can have when having different machines costs a surprising amount. Of time & $ Better going out in the kayak or with a rod than wondering where this or that can be got or what ever.
Happy huntin'