• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for My First Truck!

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Afternoon, ladies and gents. I'm looking into getting my first truck soon, something in the $6,000 and under range. Although I'm not dumb about trucks, I was hoping I could get some more perspective on the subject. I'm looking at full-size (1/2 ton and up) Fords and Chevys/GMCs, because I'll need something bigger than a Ranger or S-10 to tow with. Sorry Dodge lovers, but it seems they've got more rust problems than a 1980s Ford. :tong

Besides being a daily driver and hauler, I'm definitely going offroading with the guys in it.

So, are there any bad truck years or models to look out for? Potential problems? Of course, I'm bringing the old man and our mechanic to look at trucks should I find a good one.

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Afternoon, ladies and gents. I'm looking into getting my first truck soon, something in the $6,000 and under range. Although I'm not dumb about trucks, I was hoping I could get some more perspective on the subject. I'm looking at full-size (1/2 ton and up) Fords and Chevys/GMCs, because I'll need something bigger than a Ranger or S-10 to tow with. Sorry Dodge lovers, but it seems they've got more rust problems than a 1980s Ford. :tong

Besides being a daily driver and hauler, I'm definitely going offroading with the guys in it.

So, are there any bad truck years or models to look out for? Potential problems? Of course, I'm bringing the old man and our mechanic to look at trucks should I find a good one.

All I gotta say is that Dodges new trucks are the most reliable and well built, the Cummins, new transmission, and the body is the best.

And please for the life of you-don't buy a new Ford!

stretch

Occupation
gopher
All I gotta say is that Dodges new trucks are the most reliable and well built, the Cummins, new transmission, and the body is the best.

I wish a budget of $6000 could get me a new truck:Banghead So much for inflation.

I do like the Dodge/Cummins setups, my friend has a '99 2500 and that thing hauls @$$. However, it appears Dodges need a bit more gas than their counterparts, and with prices on the rise I'm looking to save a few cents when I fill up.

KW850&T800H

COPPA
I wish a budget of $6000 could get me a new truck:Banghead So much for inflation.

I do like the Dodge/Cummins setups, my friend has a '99 2500 and that thing hauls @$$. However, it appears Dodges need a bit more gas than their counterparts, and with prices on the rise I'm looking to save a few cents when I fill up.

Oh right, forgot about the $6000 part :pointhead my dad has an '-01 Cummins 2500, hauls ass as well, but takes fuel also.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
hit up the auctions, went to richie's north east md sale last week and 6k would have bought some nice work or play trucks. 05 f-150 xlt 4x4 w/ 130k... 03 3/4 tons, take your pick, 150k miles...

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
I'm a Dodge man, with a soft spot for Chevys too. For under 6k in a Dodge I'd recomend a 89-93 Cummins 3/4 or 1 ton. I have one (91) and it's a pretty good reliable truck, but as any 20 year old vehicle it'll need some stuff here and there. As for rust? I don't have much on mine, the drip rails are a common spot, but there are some out there that have been spared so far. I'd stay away from automatics in these years, they do not have a lock up torque converter. Before converting auto to 6 speed on mine I had swapped in a newer trans with a torque converter lockup and was pleased. My steering / suspension on the old Dodge has held up much better than the new Dodge (01) and is a old school simple setup. After putting a little more horsepower/troque to the engine and a the 6 speed trans, my Dodge pulls like it thinks it's my Kenworth. Chevrolet diesels you would find in your price range are more or less junk from what I've heard. For under 6k you should be able to find quite a few nice early to mid 90's small or big block 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. Their interior is a bit nicer stock than the Dodges (they have factory cupholders) and there is a lot more available in aftermarket parts (replacment sheetmetal, interior parts, etc). If you do end up going the early Dodge Cummins route I know of several other forum type websites that may help you out, and I have a fair amount of knowledge about them from owning, fixing, and tinkering on mine.

posjr408

I bought a 1997 f350 with the 7.3 turbo for under 5g. Runs good. Added a Chip and gained huge power. Works good for towing my s130 around. For 10g i bought a 99 f350 7.3 turbo few mods. Truck is perfect for towing. I have been towing at 28k lbs with no issues. Had both trucks over two years with small problems. Also have a 2004 f350 6.0 turbo had it for 4 years....... Worse truck ever. Its in the shop at least three times a year. Egr cooler, injectors, idm and more problems....

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Thanks for the opinions gents. Despite what appears to be a Mopar bias :rolleyes:, I may be going to look at a 1993 F-250XL 4x4 this week. Never a plow truck, so front end should be okay. Anything I should beware of, besides the usual New England rust?

stretch

Occupation
gopher
:update The '93 250 has been sold, so I'm looking yet again. One possibility is the '77 F-250 I mentioned in the gas mileage thread. However, it is a plow truck, so I will have to look at the front end before making some money with it. :eek: It's also got a 4-spd., so I gotta ask, is there much of a difference plowing with a manual or automatic tranny?

Turbine Doc

:update The '93 250 has been sold, so I'm looking yet again. One possibility is the '77 F-250 I mentioned in the gas mileage thread. However, it is a plow truck, so I will have to look at the front end before making some money with it. :eek: It's also got a 4-spd., so I gotta ask, is there much of a difference plowing with a manual or automatic tranny?

I'm new to this forum veteran of multiple GM forums and a VW TDI forum, I don't know where you are in your quest for a new vehicle. Consider a GM truck with the 6.5 Diesel in it, some killer deals to be found on them, much maligned "diamond in the rough" trucks. The engine is a true Diesel not a converted gasser as some would have you to believe, and once one overcomes the problems GM did not design for well they are great trucks.

I own 3 myself 2 trucks and a Burb, not only are the inexpensive to find, but worst case scenario you blow an engine, you replace it with a military surplus Hummer engine (yup same engine as Hummer runs) so a lot of spare parts still for them.

A tweaked 6.5 gets you to about 250 rwhp and 420-430Tq which isn't BIG by new Diesel numbers, but plenty powerful enough for just about any towing need, a set of injectors is just under what the cost of 1 Dmax injector costs. I can afford a newer Diesel than my 6.5s but I can't afford to maintain them, and newest offerings from big 3 are luck to get 13mpg, I get 17-20 depending how hard I'm into throttle, and 24 mpg in my Diesel Burb.

Towing backhoe I drop down to 10-13 mpg again depending how much into throttle I am into it.

Turbine Doc

Chevrolet diesels you would find in your price range are more or less junk from what I've heard. For under 6k you should be able to find quite a few nice early to mid 90's small or big block 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. Their interior is a bit nicer stock than the Dodges (they have factory cupholders) and there is a lot more available in aftermarket parts (replacment sheetmetal, interior parts, etc).
Yes & No, can be junk but a LOT of the malignment for these Diesels in 6.2/6.5 turbo family are as much misinformation/poor maintenance issue laid upon them by inept dealers and operators that forgot as delivered by GM were a LIGHT DUTY Diesel, folks ran them into ground thinking because they had a Diesel under hood they could pull big-rig loads with them.

Once upgraded properly or even just properly maintained can be made into very nice towing machines, I've been a 6.5 afficianado myself since 2000 when I got my 1st one a 1998 with 36K miles on it, she now has 240k on her alternator and a set of injectors replaced as precaution are the major repairs required, I did have 2 injection pumps replaced under warranty because dealers did not know what real issue was, bad driver module on side of injection pump that should have never been mounted there in 1st place, electronic OPAmp in high heat area with big temp swings is bad ju-ju. 6 years now with a relaoction out of engine bay is the fix for this problem.

porcupine73

Occupation
Engineer

Did you find something yet? There's so many truck choices out there it can be daunting at times. In the rust belt, yearly rustproofing is almost a must have to keep a vehicle looking good more than about 7 years. Otherwise rust bubbles just start to form all over the place. I keep having that problem here in Buffalo, NY.

Since you want to use it off road, I'm guessing you're probably looking for a 4x4 for sale to get through muddy and sticky spots. Those are pretty nice if they have the classic transfer case so you can put it into 2WD for just normal daily driver use. If you're towing with it, maybe diesel trucks for sale would more to your liking, to get that extra down low torque for pulling heavy loads. I'd make sure you get a good rear end in a towing unit, like a Dana 70 or better. The big pumpkins seem to wear well if they have a good 75W140 gear oil in them. Sometimes limited slip is available too if that interests you. I hope you are able to find something that works for you!

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I am still looking. I've seen a lot of junkers so far. The most towing I plan on doing is a few quads once in a while, the mower, or maybe a horse trailer should any of my horse-riding friends and their pets need a lift. I will need 4x4 for getting around work if we have wet spots and for the occasional day trip to Nepaug. :rolleyes: I'm unbiased towards gas or diesel, as I know my way around both.

I'm going to look at a couple of F-250s soon, one's a 1977 with a plow and the other's an '89 and is much like my dad's old 150, so who knows. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Deereman

Yes & No, can be junk but a LOT of the malignment for these Diesels in 6.2/6.5 turbo family are as much misinformation/poor maintenance issue laid upon them by inept dealers and operators that forgot as delivered by GM were a LIGHT DUTY Diesel, folks ran them into ground thinking because they had a Diesel under hood they could pull big-rig loads with them.

That seems to be that way with any makes dealership.
Strech- Yes there is alot of junkers out there. From what you are describing thoe I think a F150 would do better. But you can find f250's in that price range to. There have actually been alot of trucks here in the south just come off of company's that just upgraded their fleet. That being fleet maintained and well kept.

Turbine Doc

That seems to be that way with any makes dealership.
Strech- Yes there is alot of junkers out there. From what you are describing thoe I think a F150 would do better. But you can find f250's in that price range to. There have actually been alot of trucks here in the south just come off of company's that just upgraded their fleet. That being fleet maintained and well kept.

No the F150 won't match a 6.5, GM was only one to offer a Diesel in a 1/2T, C or K 1500 GMC/Chevy superior than the F150 the 4l80 behind the 6.5 alone makes it superior to the weak trans Ford put in the F150. I pull 18k with mine in OD which is something you can't do with a Ford. I'm partial to Diesels "real trucks don't have spark plugs" :):):) F250 with a later 7.3 not a bad way to go, early 7.3 & 6.9 Ford IDI is pretty anemic for power any Diesel that is n/a is pretty weak same with the GM 6.2 it needed turbo to make any power ergo the 6.5 TD, which needed intercooling or WMI to keep temps in check why GM forgot that is beyond me.

capt_met

i'm a GM guy but have to say for the price you are looking the pre turbo idi 7.3 fords are great old truck. i have one that just won't die. gets good fuel milage as well. i would look for a F250-350 froom 91-94.
good luck,

Deereman

No the F150 won't match a 6.5, GM was only one to offer a Diesel in a 1/2T, C or K 1500 GMC/Chevy superior than the F150 the 4l80 behind the 6.5 alone makes it superior to the weak trans Ford put in the F150. I pull 18k with mine in OD which is something you can't do with a Ford. I'm partial to Diesels "real trucks don't have spark plugs" :):):) F250 with a later 7.3 not a bad way to go, early 7.3 & 6.9 Ford IDI is pretty anemic for power any Diesel that is n/a is pretty weak same with the GM 6.2 it needed turbo to make any power ergo the 6.5 TD, which needed intercooling or WMI to keep temps in check why GM forgot that is beyond me.
I wasn't comparing the f150 to the chevy diesel. Just that a f150 would be a better choice for what he says he is doing.. Every diesel has a weakness in different places then others.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Alright, I'm gonna throw in another factor that'll change things up. The old man told me yesterday he's looking for a plow truck. Oh boy, bring on the front end problems... :pointhead

Loftis61

Occupation
Diesel Tech Student
Not sure if this is still ongoing, but coming from a 4x4 oriented background, I figured Id chime in...

If your looking for a 4x4 setup for offroading/plow trucking/do all kinda thing, your gonna want a solid front axle AND one with a floor shift T-case. I do NOT recommend getting any half ton truck to serve your purposes. Think about it like this. Chevy 1500's are built with pretty much the same drivetrain as a trailblazer. F-150's are built with pretty much the same drivetrain as an explorer. Ram 1500's are built with the same drivetrain as a Durango. Now picture running a plow with those SUV's and tell me you dont expect a little :pointhead

:D

This is GREAT advice! BUT, if I absolutely HAD to pick a Ford, it would have a 7.3 Powerstroke. Very capable, and reliable trucks. Not to mention Ford always has the best of both worlds in the interiors with comfort and function in mind.

I'm new to this forum veteran of multiple GM forums and a VW TDI forum, I don't know where you are in your quest for a new vehicle. Consider a GM truck with the 6.5 Diesel in it, some killer deals to be found on them, much maligned "diamond in the rough" trucks. The engine is a true Diesel not a converted gasser as some would have you to believe, and once one overcomes the problems GM did not design for well they are great trucks.

I own 3 myself 2 trucks and a Burb, not only are the inexpensive to find, but worst case scenario you blow an engine, you replace it with a military surplus Hummer engine (yup same engine as Hummer runs) so a lot of spare parts still for them.

A tweaked 6.5 gets you to about 250 rwhp and 420-430Tq which isn't BIG by new Diesel numbers, but plenty powerful enough for just about any towing need, a set of injectors is just under what the cost of 1 Dmax injector costs. I can afford a newer Diesel than my 6.5s but I can't afford to maintain them, and newest offerings from big 3 are luck to get 13mpg, I get 17-20 depending how hard I'm into throttle, and 24 mpg in my Diesel Burb.

Towing backhoe I drop down to 10-13 mpg again depending how much into throttle I am into it.

I wouldnt exactly recommend a 6.5, but I can see where people would have decent luck with them. Drivetrain wise, they are very capable with a TH400 or a 4l80e (TH400 w/OD) tranny, np241 or np205 (neither are bad T-cases), and true 1-ton axles.

Im gonna recommend a Cummins with either a 5 or 6 speed for you for a few reasons.

1- Solid front axle.
2- Floor shifted T-case (push button crap will bust at the most inconvenient time and make you VERY angry)
3- The manual trannys are VERY durable
4- Although they sport the ball-joint style D60's up front with unit bearings, they are still plenty tough.
5- Plenty of power, torque, and reliability. (you dont wanna be stranded when its -20 below out)
6- Economy. We average about 22mpg in our 05 CTD dually with a 6 speed. Hard to even consider a gasser getting that kind of mileage in an 8500lb truck...

Anyways, I hope this helps you. :usa