• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for info on the Ford/New Holland industrial tractors, (skip loaders.)

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
I hope this is in the proper category. I am in the market for an industrial tractor between $10,000 and $12,500. It seems that the Ford/New Holland tractors are the only ones that I can find in this price range. Oh yeah, 4wd is a must. My primary use will be brush hogging, york raking and front loader being used to handle and move downed trees. I was contemplating on a pto driven stump grinder as well so hp is a concern. I have concluded that this segment is more desirable than the compact utility tractor or utility tractor segment. They seem to be built a whole lot more robust. The only concern is they are low slung compared to a 65hp utility tractor and may pose issues with low ground clearance when brush hogging. On the up side, the bucket and loader capacities are 2 to 4 times more capable than a utility tractor with a loader attachment.

Onto the crux of my questions. What model to buy and which models offer what options? I first saw a 545D that looks to be a great size machine with a sweet looking grader box. My main concern is it being close to 4,000 hours. http://easternshore.craigslist.org/grd/4374900566.html That machine really sparked my interest. I went to test run a 445A locally and was left wondering if it would be big enough to suit my needs. The 445A had the 6x4 manual trans and I was really left thinking that I would be tired of a clutch in no time flat doing loader and brush hog work. A friend informed me that a cab model or the soft nose 260C has a nicer clutch position that is easier to operate. Enclosed cab would be great but hard to find and price goes up. This 345 looks nice as well but I am worried about having enough hp to do the brush hogging and stump grinding that is on my agenda. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9876191

I also came across the 455 series which I am assuming is built more like the back hoe line up. Does this series have the torque converter drive with lockup and shuttle shift similar to a 555 back hoe?

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

-Do they make a skip loader with torque converter drive that locks up and has left hand shuttle shift in the vintage and price range I am looking?

-How many hours would be considered too many?

-Anybody know the differences between different models, 260, 445, 545, 455, ect?

-Anybody own these and have advice to offer as far as using this type of machine for brush hogging?

Thanks in advance!!

seaweed

I had a 545 4x4 used it as a utility machine in a new housing development along with field mowing .it did have a torque converter lock up ,little button in the end of the shuttle shift. wish I had never sold it. good luck

Gooseidi

Occupation
The 545D in that CL link has me salivating. I called the guy, shuttle shift, 70% tires, clean and tight so he says.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I had compiled a bunch of info on them, along with a brochure. Can't seem to find them though.

From memory, most 345d's were without a loader, but if they had one it was 3k capacity. The loader capacity for the 445d is 4k and the 545d 5k. Models with the linkage between the loader arms and cylinders are the ones you want. They have a bunch more breakout power.

I just looked at the one in your link. The linkage is there.

Last edited:

Gooseidi

Occupation
I should be looking at the 545D on Saturday.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

JNB

Occupation
I should be looking at the 545D on Saturday.

If you do get it consider moving the "between the legs" hydraulic valve stack to a comfortable position on the right fender. It makes box blade operating much more comfortable/

Gooseidi

Occupation
Well, I got the 545D and picked up a York Rake to go along with it. I am very pleased with the power and capacity of the front bucket. The shuttle shift is world's better than a clutch, the service and parking brake are in good condition, overall in very good shape. The bucket spool needs attention, it will lock up and not go into the raise position and the return to dig function does not work. No big deal. The PTO does not engage and the 3 point hitch goes down pretty quick as soon as the machine is turned off, not sure if that's normal.

I am looking at a Ford backhoe from a 4000 series tractor this week. I haven't nailed down the specific backhoe attachment that I need and am under the impression that I will simply have to fab my own mounts up to match what I find. Any info on a Ford/New Holland backhoe on the 545D tractor would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much out there information wise.:/

Gooseidi

Occupation
y5eju4u4.jpg

Towed her home from somewhere near Baltimore MD to near Atlantic City, NJ with my trusty old IDI. 15,000lbs of tractor and trailer behind a 7,500lb truck, got 9.5mpg and was able to maintain 60-65mph with engine temp and EGT's in check. I was VERY happy with the old Ford!

Gooseidi

Occupation
Picked up a nice Landpride rake for it. I definitely feel the need for extra heavy duty implements for this machine.

JNB

Occupation
Did you figure out the PTO issue yet?

As far as info goes, look for a good New Holland service department that's been around awhile. The "old" guys know a lot about these tractors.

Gooseidi

Occupation
I did not figure out the PTO issues yet, am guessing that the rear end needs to be split. I have Leslie G Fogg about an hour away from me, nestled in the farm lands of south western Jersey for decades now. They have been a Ford/NH dealer for as long as I can remember.I am probably going to let them do the work. I barely have time to use it let alone do a major repair. Tomorrow it is getting new lines to the Gannon box/3pt hitch. The spool assembly sprung a leak today, I found one bolt to be bottoming out before it torqued down properly. Also the cylinder that raises and lowers the scarifer on the Gannon box needs quick disconnects so I can remove it and use the York rake. The joys of bringing a 14 year old machine back up to par.....