• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for info on beam to beam connections with trolley

may70

Hello,

I have a small shop crane I want to build. Ive ran the calcs on a 2ton load across this 27' span and determined I need a w12x40 main beam. My big question is how are these small crane beams typically connected? Im thinking using a 3 ton trolley on either side and running the load pin through the butt plate welded on a beam.

This is a very small scale, manual chain hoist setup I move truck cabs with in a residential shop. 2tons is overkill the typical lift is 800#. I want it to cover the whole bay so the premade workstation cranes dont look to be a good fit.

garage crane dims.pngbeam connection example b.pngtrolley.png

Jimbo

I think you might want to study this page for ideas on how to mount the bridge; it needs much more support than just a single point in order to run evenly on the track, and not get you or someone else hurt

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Premade workstation cranes can be had pretty wide these days:

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Premade workstation cranes can be had pretty wide these days:
Pushing a W12 x 44 27' long is 1080 lbs.
not easy to push, especially with the light load.
The workstation cranes go up to 4,000 lbs (gorbel is another brand)
and move very easily.
Also your end trucks will get out of alignment way too easy, causing much binding.

John Griffin

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you have to ask this you have no business making a shop crane. Theres multiple crane companies such as gorbel that will do custom spans.

John Griffin

Now if you want to assemble one, you could use a truck kit from Dayton or someone similar. Unlike what you are talking about doing with the trolleys, this is designed with the racking they see in actual use.

A jib crane or two might work for what you need to do and keep most of your floor space open.

Welder Dave

You can get chain driven trolleys. Manually pushing across the beam is difficult enough. Manually pushing the beam on the two trolleys requires way too much effort. Talk to someone who sells/installs cranes. Any kind of overhead hoist needs to be engineered or engineer approved. Some really good fabricators have made their own but they still had an engineer approve their design and they were certified welders. You see used overhead cranes from time to time. Shortening a span can likely be approved.