• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for inexpensive Kobelco Parts source

whitemike

Occupation
Small land clearing biz owner
My final drives shafts on a SK160 kobelco are warn-out and i need to track down the parts. I installed a new shaft coupler just to finish job and get back to shop. Going though dealers these parts have a huge mark-up and i want to ask you guys where to find these parts at a fair price. Thanks for any help

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
You are much better just buying complete aftermarket final drives which are not a bad price from H & R till you buy the parts and figure in labor it will be much more not only that have saw many times people TRY and rebuild them by themselves and it does not work out good.

whitemike

Occupation
I do thank you for advice and if i was going to do the job myself i would do just that but our local mechanic has replaced shafts , bearings,seals etc. in several motors and told me he can do it much cheaper than replacing final drives. Other than the splines on shafts all looked good. I have part #'s and after i get prices then i can figure best route.Thanks again

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Well most that I have priced out it has been much cheaper if you need shafts to just replace the whole motor you might find bearings aftermarket but there are no seals, gears or shafts aftermarket that we have been able to find.

whitemike

Occupation
finaldriveparts.com has one for $3000. and if you replace both at once they will sell them as a pair alittle cheaper. One Kobelco dealer wanted $4800. and another $9000. It is true that shaft and gears cannot be found where i have searched so far. So with nothing to loose i pulled cover, sun gear shaft, planetary and coupling to drain oil overnight.In morning I drove new coupling onto worn drive motor shaft to center, welded it to shaft, making sure to keep seal cool with water, installed gears and a new sun gear shaft,put on cover, filled with oil and was running befor noon. Now when it quits i will have a new unit at shop from finaldriveparts. Thanks for all advice

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
Have you tried Mashburn Equipment in Ringold, Ga? They have a lot of Kobelco inventory on the shelf. They bought a lot of inventory when Kobelco left Ga.

whitemike

Occupation
No i didn't try Mashburn equipment but it would be hard to beat H&R Parts prices, their shaft couplings are $44 each ( dealer $200 ), sun gear shaft $433 ( dealer well over $1000 ). I wouldn't normally advise anyone on welding a new coupler to the wore out drive motor shaft, then installing a new sun gear shaft. But if you own machine and can do repair work it's away to get yourself back to running in half a day and including oil for around $600.(If you take your time and make sure coupling is perfect straight it is a super strong repair). Option 2 you need to be a very good mechanic to pull apart that drive motor to install that shaft, along with seals and bearings. Then you have to hope it will travel when done. In this case spend $3000 and get complete drive assembly with 2 year warranty. Really there isn't much torque on the shafts, the motor spills at high rate and the planetary gears reduces that speed to give you the power to turn track. I dont know why there is so many small splines on the shafts, if it had fewer thicker splines like a tractor PTO shaft they would much longer befor slipping in coupler. I sure there is reason for so many splines but its like putting a 12 point socket on a stuck bolt, a six point is the stronger choice. I thank everyone for their help!

lantraxco

Finer splines, like fine thread bolts, carry more torque. Sadly engineers do not usually take wear into account when specifying these things.