• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for haul truck not sure how much hp needed

makin mulch

Gonna be pulling 35,000lb tractor. Have been told to look for older Mack as they seem to hold up on gravel roads. Not sure how much HP to look for.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Is it true that the older macks measured their hp at the rear wheel? Theoritically that would make a 350 mack equal of someones elses 400....

For me and where I end up going I dunno if I could live with that long of a trailer comming off the bumper... I'd rather have a stepdeck, 15' shorter than a comparable bumper pull, and a whole lot more fun to back up with. Yeah, I'd have a standard day cab hooked to a stepdeck, I'd get a tandem rear tractor just so I could go bigger if I wanted, or wanted to haul something else for someone else...