• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for advice on firs tskid steer purchase

jsinpa

Durallymax...thanks for the input....how did you become so knowledgeable on the process and the fine details? Sounded almost like an engineering background. I absolutely agree with you though. I can go older like I currently have and I'm fixing stuff..or go newer and have less overall issues. Thanks for the input. By the way, what are you running at your place?

outlaw38

Because you need a way to tell the computer its not there.

They make simulators you plug into the harness when you remove the DPF this sends the ECU a messages that all is well. No codes no regens.

durallymax

They make simulators you plug into the harness when you remove the DPF this sends the ECU a messages that all is well. No codes no regens.

Yes they do for many things with bigger markets (many are now off the market), so go make one for your skid.

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Huh? Turnover balls take up no bed space.

Personally I would not worry, its a lot of hype based on the early issues of the DPFs from 07-10 in on road vehicles, things have gotten a lot better. If you want to avoid all risk you can buy an older machine though too,.

Durallymax. Good point on the truck experience in those 3 years 07, 08, 09. One thing on that......used truck buyers, myself included, either avoid those years or have the DPF removed and a standard gated turbo installed. The bad reputation is well deserved. Manifolds loosening, bad MPG etc. Truck mfr's can not use DPF to meet the 2010 requirements, it's just not possible. They now must use diesel exhaust fluid DEF which is also called urea, and selective catalytic reduction SCR. By getting rid of the DPF and it's inherent problems surrounding heat and it's need for maintenance they can now finally tune the engines they way they should be tuned - max power, minimum heat buildup and minimum fuel. That is why MPG on the big trucks are back up to 07 levels - or better in most cases by virtue of these changes and all new engines.

All in all, I'm happy I have only 1 Tier 4 Final machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

durallymax

Durallymax. Good point on the truck experience in those 3 years 07, 08, 09. One thing on that......used truck buyers, myself included, either avoid those years or have the DPF removed and a standard gated turbo installed. The bad reputation is well deserved. Manifolds loosening, bad MPG etc. Truck mfr's can not use DPF to meet the 2010 requirements, it's just not possible. They now must use diesel exhaust fluid DEF which is also called urea, and selective catalytic reduction SCR. By getting rid of the DPF and it's inherent problems surrounding heat and it's need for maintenance they can now finally tune the engines they way they should be tuned - max power, minimum heat buildup and minimum fuel. That is why MPG on the big trucks are back up to 07 levels - or better in most cases by virtue of these changes and all new engines.

All in all, I'm happy I have only 1 Tier 4 Final machine.

Every truck since 2007 has had a DPF and still does to this day, they cannot meet the on road emissions without a DPF. This goes for big trucks and passenger trucks as they both have their own emissions regs. Re-read my post above about the relationship between NOX and PM to understand how the DPF, SCR and EGR work.

To explain it again briefly, the DPF traps PM/soot. SCR uses DEF to chemically treat the NOX in the exhaust. The two have entirely seperate jobs, but as one's job increase generally the other ones job falls off. Hot combustion has lower PM and keeps the DPF clean, but produces a lot of NOX so the SCR goes to work injecting DEF to keep the NOX levels down. When the engine is running cooler there is less NOX but more PM and the temps are not high enough for the DPF to cleanse either, thus it starts to load up with soot.

The reason the newer engines with SCR are getting better fuel economy is because they can be tuned for power and efficiency because NOX levels are no longer a huge concern thanks to the SCR. This also reduces the load on the DPF and keeps it cleaner.

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Durallymax. I was wrong and stand corrected. Thank you. Trucks using DEF still have a DPF as you pointed out. Good to learn that and to get my info corrected. Just another example of how a forum like this is so helpful to all of us.

outlaw38

Well after much debate I purchased a 2014 Bobcat T770. They say it will roll off the production line on 4/22/14. We will see

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Oulaw38 Good choice and best of all to you in this new venture. (be a bit fanatical about dumping only clean fuel into that beast) Do a web search on this for a great article fuel filtration construction pros .com

trackguy

Occupation
Internet Sales Team Member
Hey outlaw38, can you tell me how many bolt holes and teeth your sprocket has on your 770, I am trying to crossover older machine parts from Bobcat, any info you could give me would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

trackguy

outlaw38

Hey outlaw38, can you tell me how many bolt holes and teeth your sprocket has on your 770, I am trying to crossover older machine parts from Bobcat, any info you could give me would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

trackguy

I won't have it until the end of April.