• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for advice on firs tskid steer purchase

outlaw38

Hello everyone this is my first post and I have alot of questions. First, I am in the market to purchase a tracked skid steer, grapple bucket, tree shear and a dump trailer in the very near future. I have a $110,000 budget to work with. This will be a side line job to my permanent plant job. I only work 6 months a year out at the plant so I am looking to start somehting new. My plan for the skid loader is fence line clearing, underbrushing, and pasture tree shearing and spraying. And whatever other work comes up. What would you professionals recommend for the skidsteer? I am totally new to this and don't want to go in blind.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
This is a refreshing change from the "what can I buy for 11K threads". I have liked my CASE TR320. I think a radial lift machine would suit the task well. I would certainly get high flow on whatever you chose, pick a good mower/mulcher. Hearing good things about the Bradco Landshark. It wont take long to blow through 100K.

Swannny

Will the dumper be used to haul the skid? Sounds like you could utilize a 5 ton machine with the tree shearing if they are on the bigger side. With all the nasty terrain and dust you have down there you definitely need an enclosed cab with a/c (providing you're working the plant in the winter) that effectively keeps the dust out. Would recommend you skip the MTL (can tear up easily in rocky enviroment) and get a CTL (more durable). Don't know if you're intending to buy new or used, but personally, I'd shop for a low hour used unit and keep a lot of the cash for attachments.

Might even want to seriously consider renting a unit for a month before you commit to buy. Lots of different options and variables to consider.

outlaw38

Yes my plan is to haul the skid steer with the dump trailer. Yes it will have cab air and so far I am very impresed with the Bobcat T770.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would schedule some demonstrations with the machines you have support for and see what you think. I would maybe consider looking for a lightly used CTL. Buying new when starting a new business, I don't think is always a good use of money. Perhaps find something under 500 hours, might save 15k or more. I would put more into the attachments. Unless you are looking at the largest fifth wheel 24K gvw trailers, I don't think these dump trailers have much value in these type applications. Simply not enough capacity to haul enough material to justify wearing out your pickup. I had a triple axle gooseneck when I first started, it was a stepping stone to a dump truck and that was about it. Hauling attachments is a PINA as well with these trailers.

jsinpa

Outlaw, I have to agree with Both KSSS and Swannny...first, you definitely have a nice budget to start with and better than most for sure...KSSS is right though, it will definitely go quick with getting all that stuff. Swannny is correct also with some points...some points or things to think about is, if your going to haul the loader and attachments in dump trailer, what are you going to do when it's just a one day job, let's say and you have the dump trailer loaded..make multiple trips to get the equipment then to I assume.

When it comes to the machines and brands, the advice I got from everyone on here recently when asking about trading my wheeled loader for a newer one came down to a few things..first, what dealers are in your area? Find out who has the best dealer support, etc..it sounds like you already have Bobcat there..what about Case, Cat, etc..dealer support is huge from what guys say and it's true..also, as Swannny said, I would demo all the different brands to see what u like before you go and buy..the last thing u want to do id buy a machine u think u like, then are in it for a while and don't like it. There are guys on here that I'm sure would attest to that happening. KSSS had even mentioned to me when I posed that question before, to actually even try to have all the machines you are looking at on the same job, trying all the same things so you get a good comparison..I would also agree with looking at a low hour machine to buy vs brand new..it's kind of like the whole saying when you buy a new car or truck, the minute you pull it off the lot you lost $$$..you can find a great low hour machine and save a good bit...

If I were you, with your budget, I would price out the cost for the trailer and all the attachments you want, then you can back into what you want to spend on a machine or vice versa. I would also leave yourself some wiggle room as far as money, in case you have those slow times..

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
There is a lot of conversation that could take place on the business side of things. Perhaps you have done this, if not I think its an important aspect of selecting equipment. Define specifically what you want to do in your business. This should be compared with how many contractors in your area already provide the same service. Learn what gaps of service exist in your area and look into filling those areas. Understand their pricing structure and be sure you can or want to compete. I have found that diversity is very important. That's where an assortment of attachments can really help keep a machine moving. Maybe picking up a mini ex would be a good idea. Once you know specifically the types of work you want to do, you than can make a more informed decision on the types of equipment you need to accomplish your goal.

You suggest clearing fence lines and pastures, then running mowers and mulchers is something you will likely be doing, that will mean hydraulic performance is important. Find what type of specific attachments you want to run (that's a topic all on its own) and match your CTL to the demands of the attachments. I would make sure you can get at the radiator and hyd. coolers because you will be clogging them. Quality of the cab is huge. Consider things like gpm and psi especially on the high flow pump.

As I stated the money can go fast. If you spend 50K on a CTL ( that is definitely nearly new price, not brand new), 10K on a Davco type mower, 15K on a fifth wheel dump trailer, 2500 on a grapple bucket, maybe find a used mulcher for 15K. You can easily burn 10k on support equipment like fuel transfer tanks, hand tools, licensing, insurance, advertising and so forth and that's 102K. You certainly want to do some research (if you haven't) on your market and what areas you really want to concentrate on. You don't want to spend all this to find out that your area of work is already crowded with contractors cutting each others throat.

durallymax

With the cost of a pickup you can buy a nice dump truck and pintle hitch trailer, be much safer, and get a lot more done. The downside is licensing, but its still worth it in the end.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

With the cost of a pickup you can buy a nice dump truck and pintle hitch trailer, be much safer, and get a lot more done.

That's the way I think durallymax and, as I have mentioned here before, a nice little trail bike on there is handy for running errands and getting home at night . . . depending on security of course.

Cheers.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
There's some good advice been given and I'll give my $.02. As far as the skid, I agree with KSSS and find a "nearly" new machine preferably interim Tier IV or Tier III without the emissions equipment.

If I had $110K set aside to start a new business, I would set aside at least $20K in cash reserves for the company. If you will be running mulchers and mowers you need some money in the kitty to keep them running.

I would look at a regular gooseneck trailer to haul the skid and attachments around and hire out any trucking when needed. As your business develops you can determine if you need a dump truck or not. Personally I find it cheaper to hire trucks out and we do a lot of hauling.

As it's also been said, there are other costs involved getting this business started that's not equipment related. Insurance, licensing, corporation start up costs and taxes. I would highly suggest starting an LLC to operate the business under for legal protection, the last thing you want is someone coming after your home and retirement because you were operating in your personal name.

cdm123

A lot of good advice so far now my .02 Go to your dealerships and spend some time in the machines you are considering if you are going to spend days in the thing you want it to be comfortable for you. How is visibility etc questions that only you can answer.

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
Look into New holland machines, the visibility around the cab and engine compartment is great, I like to give myself the best view of what I am smashing into..hahah. The NH machines are balanced well and seem pretty rugged, I have an old lx565 wheeled machine with 9000 plus hrs on it and it still goes to work for me.

outlaw38

So far good replies here. I have decided against the dump trailer. Probably going with a triple axle goose neck. I will have to have a CDL in Texas to legally pull that trailer. 3-7K axles plus 10K truck equals over 30K combined weight. Didn't see that coming. I did test a new Kubota svl90-2 today. I really don't have anything to compare it to yet. I went by the CAT dealer but the salesman was out playing golf. Buisness is booming down here in the Eagle Ford Shale and they are throwing brush clearing contracts out like candy. Land owners are getting rich and spending money to clear property also. I haven't operated enough different machines to even start comparing. I am at the mercy of the salesman and you guys, and I trust yall's opinion more than a salesman. I am going to buy a 14" Timberwolf tree sheer with grapple, a Bradco ground shark extreme duty, and a industrial grapple. I just want to make sure I have the right machine for the job. Thanks everyone

Skidoojunky

I agree with the two ton dump truck and Pinter trailer thought......I will tell you what worked for me building a personal arsenal of compact equipment....I did it "JOHNNY CASH STYLE".....1 piece at a time!

After all.......all it really takes is TIME and MONEY.....and I haven't run out of TIME yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lumberjack

I have a Mustang MTL325 (Tak TL250) that I'm selling and financing a Kubota SVL90-2.

The reasons I'm selling the MTL is that the money from the MTL sale will pay off some other debt, and the net result is lowering my monthly payments ~$800.

The reasons I picked the Kubota SVL90-2:
It (allegedly) has the quietest cab on the market. I have sensitive hearing, which I would like to keep. The salesman says the 90-2 is quieter than my KX057-4. The salesman sells Bobcat and Kubota.
The cab is roomy. I'm 6'2", most other cabs are a bit small, with the exception of the TL12. The TL12 is quieter than the TL250, but still hard to listen to the radio comfortably.
The roll up door seems vastly superior to a swing out door with regards to safety, easy of getting out when stuck, etc.
The peak aux hp output is only 4.4hp behind the Bobcat T870. The Bobcat peaks at 2500psi, the SVL peaks at 3500psi. The T870 drops off quick after 2500psi. Numbers taken by the Kubota/Bobcat service tech (assuming unbiased).
The tracks are easy to clean out. The TL250 isn't bad, but it has more "legs" coming down to the undercarriage, making cleaning a little tougher. The Bobcat looks to be awful to clean out. My KX057 takes 1-2 minutes per side, even when packed full.
Lastly, the price was favorable, although that's a minor consideration.

I should have it in the next week or two and will report back somewhere on the forum.

Tandem duals are VASTLY superior to tri singles. If I was buying a new trailer I would get tandem 12klb axles with 17.5" tires and call it a day.

Last edited: