• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a winch truck/line horse

Bluox

One of the powerline outfits I worked for had a couple of D-8s fitted with 3 hydraulic winches for sagging work .
The drums weren't as big as the ones on that trailer but they held a bunch of line.
Something like that maybe more along the lines of what you could use?
Bob

skyking1

Haven't seen one with big drums on it but I know when there is one sitting in Tacoma. It's just in a neighborhood you're driving along there's hedges cars d8 you know whatever. It's a completely random d8 in somebody's front yard.

skyking1

When I was working the water, the cable scrapper would come around with a truck with a huge spool on it and spool up all the junk cable. Nobody wants it mixed in with a bin of other metal. He carved out a niche just winding up wherever he can get it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Just thinking out loud. I wonder if one could mount a large drum above the winch on a log skidder. It could perhaps be powered off the empty skidder winch drum via larger roller chain. Many of the skidders from the 80s had huge power on the winches.

crane operator

http://www.maslonkapowerline.com/rentals/pullers/

24DS-403x223.jpeg
DSCF0915-403x223.jpg
jrd68-2-403x223.jpg

Truck Shop

A bunch cheaper to have it on a trailer instead of the maintenance, license, insurance tied up in a vehicle that is only used for one certain task. If a trailer can work.