• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a service truck with a 14' body and 12k crane

Coalwelder16

Looking to buy a truck on the east coast that isn't rusted away with hundreds of thousands of miles on it. I have a decent budget to work with. New trucks that meet my criteria are a ways out and ridiculously over priced. If anyone has any leads I would greatly appreciate it.

ozarkag

If you find that perfect rig but it's in the Midwest let me know. .. . That is about exactly what we are looking for.

Truck Shop

H2539-L211389896_original.jpg

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
@Mike L

He just got a new (to him) truck, I don't know where his old one went.
Mine went north of Fort Worth. Best thing I can tell you is to peruse truck paper daily. There are decent trucks out there but they move fast and aren’t cheap these days, especially 14’ body trucks. 12k crane is even harder to find. A 10k won’t do the job?

Wiscofieldtech

i just snagged a Frieghtliner M2 106, 14' body 10k crane. 6.7L red top cummins 300hp, 6spd allison. 175K 4700hrs, Found in Nebraska. Been looking for 3 months now. The hardest part is getting a guy to not sell it out from under you! Good luck!

Side note, this was my first post/reply on here.

I do have a question for all you guys who own trucks. I have never owned a commercial vehicle before. What do i classify my truck as through the FMSCA? I will stay in my state of wisconsin, any pointers on getting a DOT number.

thanks!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If he is engaged in “commerce” there is no way to avoid a DOT# and MCS-150. Even if he runs intrastate only.

Not in AL. Less than 26K GCWR and intrastrate does not require a DOT #.

If you qualify as a commercial motor vehicle as defined by (49 CFR 390.5), the answer is YES. All commercial vehicles in Alabama must be marked with either an Interstate USDOT# or an Intrastate USDOT#. However, if you are an Intrastate company operating straight trucks and trucks with trailers having Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWR) or Gross Combination Weight Ratings (GCWR) of 26,000 pounds or less (other than passenger buses and hazardous material or hazardous waste haulers), you are exempt from all Federal Regulations while operating within the State of Alabama and a USDOT# is NOT required.

Check your local state rules.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
The part that always gets me is that if you ask 10 dot officers you’ll get 10 answers and they aren’t 100% certain on what they tell you. Here’s what I do. I run a us dot number on my truck, my license is intrastate so I don’t need a medical card, I register for 34k (don’t know why since my truck has a 33k gvwr) and I don’t have a fuel sticker. I go through a local weigh station fairly regularly and they barely slow me down to ask where I’m going.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
i just snagged a Frieghtliner M2 106, 14' body 10k crane. 6.7L red top cummins 300hp, 6spd allison. 175K 4700hrs, Found in Nebraska. Been looking for 3 months now. The hardest part is getting a guy to not sell it out from under you! Good luck!

Side note, this was my first post/reply on here.

I do have a question for all you guys who own trucks. I have never owned a commercial vehicle before. What do i classify my truck as through the FMSCA? I will stay in my state of wisconsin, any pointers on getting a DOT number.

thanks!

Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you.

Sounds like you bought a nice truck. The unofficial rules state you need to post a few pics. :D

Last edited: