• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a little help here, International 4900, DT466

wornout wrench

Hi guys

After too many years of working for someone else I have decided to hang up my own shingle and go on my own.

I have over 35 years as a heavy duty mechanic but one of the few things I have never worked on are Internationals.

I have found a 95, 4900 with a DT466, 13 speed trans, both engine and trans are low Km's on the reman.

What are the things that I should look for, any problems that are known that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments, concerns, what have you.

Brian

bpogue

Good engines. What is the horsepower rating of the engine? First of all I assume it not a DT466E. Check for fuel leaks. There are about 6 rubber lines that are problematic sometimes, but easy to change. Pumps can be adjusted for more power if you wish.

Funkyfullwidth

Also keep an eye on those international fuel tanks. The like to rot out. I know on the 2000ish and up ones they do at least.