• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a larger excavator

trekkar

I have about 6 acres of forest I'd like to clear and I don't think my 8k mini is up for it. Someone is going to take the trees and I'll be left with cleaning it up to make a field. I've read a few threads about which brand is the best and most seem to agree it's better to find one in good shape and a good dealer/service that you can still get parts for. But if I could at least get a few models to try and find that would be great. I'm thinking anywhere from a 12k pound unit all the way up to 50k. Is a 12k pound unit enough of a difference? If I get a 12k-16k pound machine then I would likely keep it for a very long time. If it's a 225 or something similar probably only a couple of years so something that I could sell fairly easy would be good. Any advice is appreciated.

b

Tags

It all depends on how efficiently you want to get the project done. From personal experience I will say nothing smaller than a 160 size machine (about 38000-40000lbs) but you'll probably be able to buy a machine a size or two larger than that at a better price, since technically you can still move a 160 on a tag trailer and it's a little more desirable machine than something bigger. That being said, it all comes down to efficiency, a 12000 pound machine could do it, but it will feel overwhelming at times. Plus, if you get a bigger machine you'll probably be able to resell it for what you bought it for, especially if you don't buy an already beaten up machine and you don't beat it up yourself.

Ct Farmer

A lot will depend on what you are clearing. Old growth oak vs scrub maple etc. What about rocks? Are you going to log it and then pull stumps or just push them over and stack and cut later?

Right now we are using a 50 ton Volvo for clearing and digging a pond. Pros - not much gets in its way. Scratch a little around most trees, if at all, and push over. Moves a lot of dirt fast and moves all but a few rocks we have found. Cons - it is large and harder to move around in any sort of woods area. Even when doing jump turns the 36" pads make a mess. It is also harder to dig small - say 3" trees, without making a huge hole. The 68" bucket is just too big for tiny things.

We use several machines when clearing - backhoe, dozer and CTL along with the Volvo. All have their place.

Since you are not hauling it around from job to job don't worry about size and initial transport cost. Get what you like. A nice 25 ton machine would be nice, a thumb is a must have. Get a quick attach and add a ripper and maybe a rake. If we didn't have a dozer or backhoe I'd have bought about that size. Big enough to really work and small enough to get around. Price won't be as low as for a larger machine but resale will also be easier.

Brand and dealer is important especially if you don,t plan on doing work yourself. Assuming you are in Connecticut HoPenn for Cat is great and Tyler for Volvo pretty good also, just smaller. Can't say about Clark for Deere and PBE for Komatsu and Hitachi. Haven't used either.

Vetech63

I saw a couple of Kobelco 450's go on the cheap last year. They were a bit rough but operated well. They sold them for less than 15K each. A massive excavator to move but dam......the price was crazy cheap.

pp13bnos

What kind/size of stumps are we talking about? If its massive oak, you'll need a good sized excavator.

If it where me, I'd dig around the trees and push them over, vs. pulling stumps. But if you're not a very experienced operator then it might be safest to have them fell then dig the stumps out.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
The attached may be of help
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Which Excavator.pdf
    706.4 KB · Views: 31

trekkar

There is a stone wall around the border so I'm assuming it was a field at one time. Probably about 5 trees in the 3-4ft diameter base and 20 in the 2-3ft base. The rest is probably 2ft and under. I think it's mostly hickory,maple,oak. I had a tree company come in but it wasn't worth it for them. Said it's mostly firewood. I did find someone that will clear it and take the wood pile the brush. I'm no experienced operator so I'll feel better about clearing the stumps vs pushing over the trees. There are some big rocks that I'll need to move as well. I think what I need to find is someone willing to do a pre buying inspection. Does a place like HO penn offer that service?

Tags

Try and find a reputable independent heavy equipment mobile repair guy in the area, a few hundred now could save thousands later. Just remember, nobody has a crystal ball, they can only point out what they see. Fluid analysis of the hydraulic and motor oil would be good as well if the buyer will wait for results.

trekkar

Thanks tags, thats what I'd like to do. If anyone knows any one I could hire to do a pre purchase inspection just let me know. There is a shop in holland MA I'm going to ask about. Anyone use them? Also if anyone knows a guy in the albany area I found a CAT there I'm interested in getting inspected.